Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hi everyone, I currently have a Verizon Boulder ( waterproof flip phone) I have never had a smartphone of any kind. But recently I have been feeling a little left out. So I have been researching the different phones trying to decide which one I want to get when I jump into the Smartphone world.

So far the Pre is at the top of my list. But I have a question about how well it works as a phone. You know, to talk to people and allow them to call you....? It seems from reading various websites, that feature is not talked about much. It is still primarily a phone, right?

I have a bunch of friends with Blackberrys and it seems like some of them have horrible sound quality when they call me, and others are ok. I hate talking to some of my Blackberry using friends because they sound all muddled.

I also am late coming to the Smartphone party because I like the way a flip phone feels and operates in phone mode. Ie the way it kind of wraps around your face like a regular phone. I was thinking the Pre may help me with the transition because when its open it looks like it would kind of curve around your face. Am I right in that assumption?

Thanks for any assistance you guys can offer for this.
    It works as a phone also????? WOW...lol
    As long as I am in a good coverage area, it works very well.
    I cant wait until the "Volumecare" app is available to help make the earpiece louder, but very functional.
    Yes it all depens on your area
    I would try it out for a month if you don't like it return it
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    So your on the VZW network now....and you want to jump to Sprint...I would look at the coverage in your area before making this leap. I was with VZW, on a BB Storm, and my new job is a Sprint shop....and I'll tell you...the coverage with sprint is horrible. I drop calls left and right, and my wife sits next to me on the VZW network with a full signal....so my first thought would be...how is the network. As far as using the phone as a phone, its ok....it gets all smudged, and oily from your skin, and you can see it because it is so glossy....im sure other phones get this too, but its real noticable, so you will find yourself always buffing it...the apps are ok, and new ones coming out are very promising. The battery life like any smart phone is ok..I charge mine every night, because with the roaming, which I am always in, eats the battery. I miht talk once a day on it, I get about 20 texts per day, and I have my corporate email setup on it, so email is always coming in. I hope this helps, but If I had my way, I'd loose the Sprint network, and jump over to VZW....and go to an all Blackberry shop for my user base that requires email.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Spepi, I am sure this will bring on another round of yelling, and completely sidetrack my original question, but. I am hoping that Verizon gets the Pre come Jan. +/-. so I wont have to switch carriers.

I realize there is a strong crowd who say this will never happen, but it seems there are still a bunch of rumors that it may, still floating around.
    As far as coverage is concerned though...I have an Airave at home and also at work. Since I installed them, it has been fine when I am there. Still get a few dropped calls from time to time when not in these areas. Without the Airave i would be with VZW.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    The dialer kinda sucks... but after that, things maintain a standard operating functionality. Also a little upset that we still don't have visual voicmail, and that the earpiece is pretty low, but not enough for me to be bothered most of the time (Only in rare moments is it ever low enough to get to me).

The good news is that ALL of these problems are resolvable, so in the end it shouldn't keep you from missing out on the rest of the experience that this phone provides.
    The phone part works fine for me, good sound, works well with my BT headset (except no voice dial, which I hope they add soon). There's several "quick dialer" apps available, and that makes it much more usable IMO. Yes, it feels more like a phone if it's open, but that's just psychological (the mike is in the main body).

Reception seems to be slightly worse than my previous "stupid" phone, but not a lot. Sprint's coverage is pretty good where I live (SoCal), but YMMV and I believe Verizon is still hard to beat in that respect. Sprint does offer the Airave which I use and it works well at home (if that's an issue).

It's amazing how fast you get used to having a "smart" phone and constant internet contact ... but you pay for it, the data plans are expensive (although Sprint has the best deal there I believe).
    The dialpad is loud when you press the buttons, but the volume of call could be louder but it is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by FiXXXerX View Post
    The dialer kinda sucks... but after that, things maintain a standard operating functionality. Also a little upset that we still don't have visual voicmail, and that the earpiece is pretty low, but not enough for me to be bothered most of the time (Only in rare moments is it ever low enough to get to me).

The good news is that ALL of these problems are resolvable, so in the end it shouldn't keep you from missing out on the rest of the experience that this phone provides.
    The dialer issues have all been resolved in 1.2, just gotta wait for it to hit.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    As far as coverage is concerned though...I have an Airave at home and also at work. Since I installed them, it has been fine when I am there. Still get a few dropped calls from time to time when not in these areas. Without the Airave i would be with VZW.

Did you have to pay for this Airave? I'd be open to it, if I didnt have to pay for it.
    Last edited by spepi; 09/09/2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    No one talks about it because there's nothing really to talk about. It's a phone, you call people and it works. Aside from coverage issues, which are location specific, and the loud dial pad, which is now fixed in 1.2, what else is there to talk about?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    No one talks about it because there's nothing really to talk about. It's a phone, you call people and it works. Aside from coverage issues, which are location specific, and the loud dial pad, which is now fixed in 1.2, what else is there to talk about?
    I know that at least some of the Blackberrys do not make great "phones" as I said, The sound of the user comes through muddied and hard to understand. That, and my curiosity as far as listening to a caller on the built in ear peice on the Pre were the main reason for my question. I do not use a ear piece much at all now. Maybe I will get used to them and use one more but now I primarily just put my phone to my ear and talk , kind of old school like, I suppose.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I've had a lot of Blackberries and they all sound fine. It's network and coverage dependent, which is based on your specific location. Service is not universal. I don't use an earpiece either and it feels like every other phone I've had. A slab of plastic next to my face.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    The dialpad is loud when you press the buttons, but the volume of call could be louder but it is ok.
    Ditto.

Honestly though, I have heard from friends who have mentioned the call quality ever since I switched to the Pre. They said it's a lot more clear & crisp.
    And can't speak for other people, but I have missed a call or two due to lag. Especially when I have multiple cards open and I can't seem to get to the ANSWER CALL quick enough due to slight lag. Very minor issue for me.
    It does kind of wrap around your face like a flip phone. I always have it open when I talk on the phone. I find it more comfortable that way. I just came from an iphone and so far both Sprint and the Pre have worked really well as a phone.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macjazzy View Post
    It is still primarily a phone, right?
    With smartphones then that's not really true because (almost?) every smartphone gives you inferior signal strength/call quality/comfort compared to a standard cell. Obviously, since this is a Pre board then people will debate that and try to sell you a phone so just try to think out what's most important to you because as of right now then there is a tradeoff between "awesome features" and "great phone". And personally, I feel the awesome features are worth the slightly degraded phone experience.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I found the signal to be better than my other phones and the call quality very good. The Touch Pro was an awful phone interface and the first month I had it, I found it making random calls for minutes on end. The one major feature I love on the Pre is the proximity sensor which many other smartphones don't have. I constantly touched my cheek to the Touch Pro and had to make sure not to press any buttons on the screen. I don't have to worry about that on the Pre. I will say that the interface is a bit slow in the dialer screen but otherwise, I don't think you'll see a huge difference unless Sprint has truly poor coverage where you are.
    Last edited by Stake; 09/09/2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spepi View Post
    So your on the VZW network now....and you want to jump to Sprint...I would look at the coverage in your area before making this leap. I was with VZW, on a BB Storm, and my new job is a Sprint shop....and I'll tell you...the coverage with sprint is horrible.
    I did my homework before switching from VZW to Sprint, posted quality questions to local community forums, Craigslist Rant and Raves, etc. One thing that I did notice though is that even though Sprint and Verizon have a their roaming deal which allows either customer free roaming off of either's tower, when I travel to my hometown, in the sticks and well in Verizon country, my voice plan is spotty at best and data is nonexistent. Even with Verizon, I'd get a couple of bars out there, but no data.

Just ask people where you spend time what their cell carrier is and how the signal is in the area. Since everyone seems to have a carrier that they hate with a passion, ask them for specific reasons instead of the "they just suck" answer. I've had Verizon twice, AT&T, Nextel, and now Sprint. Verizon and AT&T were opposites, one worked at home the other at work. Nextel was a work phone that never seemed to work, which made me cautious about joining Sprint since the purchased Nextel around that time. Haven't had a problem yet, aside from when I visit the sticks.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the info regarding this question, Wow this is an active board!! I am even more sure the Pre is the way to go. Now I just need to decide if I wait and see if it comes to Verizon or switch carriers. i really hope it comes to Verizon that would be the best outcome for me right now.

I have been scouring the internet lately to see if there is any new news regarding this. Its seems since early june when some Verizon Exec said they would be getting a bunch of new phones like the Pre and Storm 2 there hasn't been much if anything else said about this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast