1.    #1  
    Every time I pick up my girlfriends iPhone I immediately try swiping what would be a gesture area on the iPhone, if it had one. Drives me nuts. i'll open an app then try to swipe back up my menu, but of course nothing happens. just makes me realize how convenient this feature is, oh and multitasking. Also whats up with all these leaked Android phone pictures with this reoccurring theme of like every button imaginable smashed into the chin. back, forward, menu, call, end, and trackball... another reason why palms gesture feature owns
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    i do the same thing with my ipod touch all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by warphead View Post
    i do the same thing with my ipod touch all the time.
    I have an iPod touch as well, and i am constantly swiping back to get to the "albums" or "artists". Then i laugh at myself and wish my iPod had a gestures area.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    YUP
    I do this on iPhone all the time.
    indeed, for sure the gesture area is the way of the future and too little has been made of it in the media
    I gesture at my Ipod Touch too...
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I hate the gestures area because it doesn't consistently respond.

To me, the removal of physical buttons on a phone is a bad trend. If you're trading buttons for screen space (keypad/keyboard) I get it, but if your taking it off in favor of a less accurate gesture area (useless nipple vs trackball, gesture vs button) then it makes simple functions more complicated.

I'm not saying I'm not unimpressed with the gesture concept because its awesome. I'm just saying I wish it was "added functionality" rather than a "replacement" to physical buttons.
    hahaha yea i do the same. Last night i was clearing out my instinct so i could sell it to my friend and i kept trying to swip side to side and minimize the apps by sliding up hahaha. Thank god i dont have to use my instinct anymore!
    SCK Manager
    I do it all the time on my itouch. I get really annoyed on my itouch when i want to check something out real quick but dont want to quit the game. Palm Im all yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

To me, the removal of physical buttons on a phone is a bad trend. If you're trading buttons for screen space (keypad/keyboard) I get it, but if your taking it off in favor of a less accurate gesture area (useless nipple vs trackball, gesture vs button) then it makes simple functions more complicated.

I'm not saying I'm not unimpressed with the gesture concept because its awesome. I'm just saying I wish it was "added functionality" rather than a "replacement" to physical buttons.
    Grammar Notzee - "I'm not saying I'm not unimpressed" The not's cancel and you get "I'm saying I'm unimpressed"

I feel the gesture area is what makes this phone unique and very useable. I am not at all unimpressed, or I'm Impressed.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

i find the gestures area very accurate, and responsive. i rarely do the wrong gesture. also i disagree with you saying its more complicating... i mean you wanna go back you swipe back. no finding an exact button, you just do it... and dont get me started on trackballs the worse idea ever on a phone imo. they feel cheap, cheezy, and come on a phone spends a lot of time in pockets or other places where dust and dirt can get stuck in the ball housing which makes it feel horrible when rolling... pick up any demo blackberry at a sprint store and generally the ball hardly moves anymore. take a look at some of the new android devices to see how cluttered buttons become and how small they are to fit on the these new phones with big screens taking up space.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    i find the gestures area very accurate, and responsive. i rarely do the wrong gesture. also i disagree with you saying its more complicating... i mean you wanna go back you swipe back. no finding an exact button, you just do it... and dont get me started on trackballs the worse idea ever on a phone imo. they feel cheap, cheezy, and come on a phone spends a lot of time in pockets or other places where dust and dirt can get stuck in the ball housing which makes it feel horrible when rolling... pick up any demo blackberry at a sprint store and generally the ball hardly moves anymore. take a look at some of the new android devices to see how cluttered buttons become and how small they are to fit on the these new phones with big screens taking up space.
    i agree with you one its one of the best features about the pre
    The biggest annoyance is that navigation is on two sides of the screen. Press the big button to shut down the app or go all the way to the top and hit the screen stealing back button to go back.

When I was iPod touching last night, I noticed the Palm cast came out. So I opened it up and started streaming. Then I figured I would browse the web. Yeah, forgot that you can't do both. Put it down and started to do some real work with the Pre, while streaming the Palm Cast.

Those who say multitasking is nothing haven't ever used a Pre and just assume iPhone or iTouch is the bomb.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I have a side question in the same topic. Does anyone else completely ignore the existence of the card view button on their Pre? I used it for the first day or two, then discovered the swipe up method and since then my button has been very neglected.
    Yeah the botton is kinda useless. The gesture area is the best and easiest to use and does not take up any screen area at all. When using my friends iphone I was like so much of the screen real estate is taken up by the back and forward button .. plus I got to go and find the button... so frustrating ...swiping back and up is the best ...
    I love the advanced gestures to switch between apps. Yeah the Pre doesn't load apps quickly, but if you kept the app open then loading (switching) is just a full swipe left or right. Multitasking on the Pre was well thought out.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!