1.    #1  
    If I add my aim screen name account is it going to add my AIM contacts into my phone contacts? It was like that when I bought the phone on launch day, however, I don't want AIM contacts in my phone contacts. Is there a option to prevent this?
    Nope.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Nope. That's why I don't use AIM on my phone. I had to go through my contacts and delete every single screen name, lol.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    Nope. That's why I don't use AIM on my phone. I had to go through my contacts and delete every single screen name, lol.
    This is absurd, they need a native Facebook app and Aim App already. I know from the pixie hands on video there is a Facebook app shown off but with the popularity of this social network you would think they'd have the ball rolling faster.
    i believe in this new update IIRC contacts and AIM should synergize together if you have their AIM listed in your contact info for them... i could be dreaming though
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    i believe in this new update IIRC contacts and AIM should synergize together if you have their AIM listed in your contact info for them... i could be dreaming though
    What about for people I don't have in my phone contacts list but I have them in my Aim contacts. That still means that person will float into my phone contacts instead of merging into one contact because I don't have them as a phone contact. Make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by skilledone View Post
    What about for people I don't have in my phone contacts list but I have them in my Aim contacts. That still means that person will float into my phone contacts instead of merging into one contact because I don't have them as a phone contact. Make sense?
    You don't have a "phone contacts", you have a "contacts" app. It contains all of them by design. I know that's taking some getting used to for some folks, but it's the way the system is meant to work.

There are some workarounds if you want to look for them, but I suggest you try using the system as is.

If you have some folks in your AIM list that have ... odd usernames, just add the real name (or whatever name you prefer to show up) in your contact list and link them.
    Changed thread title to match content.

Please state your question in the thread title instead of just saying "Question".

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You don't have a "phone contacts", you have a "contacts" app. It contains all of them by design. I know that's taking some getting used to for some folks, but it's the way the system is meant to work.

There are some workarounds if you want to look for them, but I suggest you try using the system as is.

If you have some folks in your AIM list that have ... odd usernames, just add the real name (or whatever name you prefer to show up) in your contact list and link them.
    wow, i agree with you.
    I still don't care for the all or nothing facebook sync tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    wow, i agree with you.
    I still don't care for the all or nothing facebook sync tho.
    Same type of workarounds will work, Create one user called Junk or SPAM or IHateTheWayThisWorks - whatever.
    Take all of the user ID's you didn't want synced, and link them to this user.
    If they're linking to something you've already got, you probably don't want them linked to a junk user. If they're really useless junk users, they probably don't linck to something you've already got.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Same type of workarounds will work, Create one user called Junk or SPAM or IHateTheWayThisWorks - whatever.
    Take all of the user ID's you didn't want synced, and link them to this user.
    If they're linking to something you've already got, you probably don't want them linked to a junk user. If they're really useless junk users, they probably don't linck to something you've already got.
    True, i know of the method, i'm just not up to doing it for 200 contacts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skilledone View Post
    This is absurd, they need a native Facebook app and Aim App already. I know from the pixie hands on video there is a Facebook app shown off but with the popularity of this social network you would think they'd have the ball rolling faster.
    Yap. I've held off on adding my work email to my Pre because I'm afraid it'll import all of the contacts from it. I work in sales, so I get emails from customers that I only talk to once or twice and I don't want to constantly be deleting these people from my phone.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Yeah I noticed that all my AIM friends had been added to contacts. I'm not going to use the built in AIM app until they do something to make that optional.
    I have real names setup on most of my aim contacts, so this isn't too big of a deal for me. If the real name matches the name in your contacts list it automatically merges them.
    Just want to verify, I'm adding some real contact names to link to their AIM screen names. Half way through I encounter a screen name I no longer communicate with, there's no way to delete it without removing the AIM app first. So I go and do that, and reinstall AIM then go back to resume linking profiles to find out I have to start ALL OVER AGAIN. Am I doing something wrong? Or will I need to remove aim and relink all my contacts when decide to remove a screen name

I have too many e-friends from years of online gaming that I never have intentions of meeting irl and its just lame to have to scroll through them everytime I browse my phonebook. Some of them I don't even remember their real names and just refer to them as their screen name so I can't even make a proper link. The suggestion of linking them all to one profile to reduce clutter doesn't help me at all since when I actually use aim they all end up being clumped together under that one name
    Last edited by deusofhearts; 09/13/2009 at 05:26 AM.
    Any idea if there is a fix for this problem coming out in webOS 1.2.whatever?
    It isn't a problem. It's Palm's philosophy. Wait for a dedicated aim application.
    I've been trying to get around this using Gchat's ability to see online AIM contacts, but nobody seems to get what I'm talking about.

Any of you guys sign into AIM through your Gmail on your computer?
    If I'm not mistaken in the new WebOS update there will be some changes to this. Check out the feature list of 1.2 message thread.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I joined this forum in hopes of getting some answers regarding this "issue." I guess after reading this thread I've learned that there's no way around it and seeing that Palm developers won't do anything because of their "sync all" philosophy, I'll be waiting for a third party app that will no sync my AIM buddies to my contacts. It's a real shame that it's not a current option to just opt out of the syncing of buddies, but I understand what Palm is trying to do.

I'm in no way trying to bash Palm and its users by what i'm about to say, but I'm starting to regret getting the Palm... already being a Blackberry user. Don't get me wrong, the Palm is a useful tool, but the lack of configuration options leaves it a few levels below some of the popular smartphones out there. Anyhow, I have a 2 year contract... a contract I cannot break.