Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like many, my Pre hit "the wall" and wouldn't install any new apps, despite my deleting older ones. I couldn't seem to install apps from the App Catalog or via FileCoaster. (WebOS QuickInstall always worked, though.)

This changed, a couple of days, ago, when I did the following: I removed every audio file iTunes had synced to my Pre.

This also had the effect of taking my available storage from 0.6 GB to 1.1 GB. You can decide the cause, but the effect was that FileCoaster could now install apps, again, on my Pre.

And as for the Palm Catalog, it still won't let me install that sexy Tetris app (it says I don't have room even though I've repeatedly deleted App Catalog and Homebrew Apps) but I can install other applications, again.*

I thought someone else might benefit from this experience because the installation block was really bothering me - not to mention making me think I'd need to use WebOS Doctor to or something to restore my Pre to its factory state.

* - At this point, I'm not 100% sure I'd tried to install other App Catalog apps before cutting ties with iTunes/upping my available storage, but let's say I'm 75% confident.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    May I ask how many apps you installed b4 you hit the "wall?" I am trying to avoid that and be more selective of the apps I do choose. I never really felt like once u delete an app (orange button + tap icon) that it really deletes all of the space used?
    thank yu people have been ignoring my post for a week now
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    May I ask how many apps you installed b4 you hit the "wall?" I am trying to avoid that and be more selective of the apps I do choose. I never really felt like once u delete an app (orange button + tap icon) that it really deletes all of the space used?
    Not sure exactly, but i've got 51 now, including App Catalog stuff. Maybe between 55 & 60.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jodimarley View Post
    So that worked for you, too?
    First to west3man, Thank you!

As to jodymarley...
    Quote Originally Posted by jodimarley View Post
    That is just not true.

You posted this not quite 4 days ago:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...p-catalog.html

People did reply saying that they did not know what to do either. Your thread is one of many asking for help with this problem.

This thread gives a possible solution to all of those previous threads.

It is not true that people were ignoring your post for a week.

Someone posted a possible solution that could help you. Instead of thanking them, you criticized them. I don't think that is fair.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Like many, my Pre hit "the wall" and wouldn't install any new apps, despite my deleting older ones. I couldn't seem to install apps from the App Catalog or via FileCoaster. (WebOS QuickInstall always worked, though.)

This changed, a couple of days, ago, when I did the following: I removed every audio file iTunes had synced to my Pre.
    This needs to be in the Tips and Tricks that if you cannot download apps, it may be because you do not have enough space left on the Pre. Maybe it want at least 1GB free to still download apps?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I had the same problem where I couldn't install from the App Catalog even after removeing many HomeBrews. This is what I did.
    Removed most Homebrews (except for apps that I had already entered a password etc for), then removed the larger Pre apps (survival wiki etc). Removed all thru WebOSQuickInstall (makes it very easy). Then removed PreWare, Package manager and FileCoaster. I left the tweaks and virtual keyboard installed.
    Then installed all the PreApps I wanted. Was even able to install the large ones like Tetris and the Wiki again. No problems. Never hit a limit.
    Installed Preware and Package Manager thru WebOSQInstall and then all the Homebrews I wanted right away. GoodFood was the only app that didn't start correctly, so I removed it.
    Took a little over an hour.
    I now have 73 apps installed (listed thru PreWare).
    I cannot download new apps or update exsisting ones..I am gettin error messge statin I am out of memory and need to delete an app to make room..What is this and how can i fix it?
    Have you downloaded apps in the past and do you have alot of them? If so you just might have too many. There is a memory limit. If this is the case tape quick launch arrow then tape launcher at top left. Next select list apps. In the list tap an app or 2 and deleat them. Now you have more available memory.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 09/10/2009 at 10:35 PM.
    I only have about 35 apps, only a handful are hombrew, most are catalog apps..My device info tells me i have 6.7GB remaining..I cannot update any of them or anything..And i use all my apps so why would i want to delete a few to make room when i should have 6.7GB left..
    I cannot download new apps or update exsisting ones..I am gettin error messge statin I am out of memory and need to delete an app to make room..What is this and how can i fix it? I only have about 35 apps, only a handful are hombrew, most are catalog apps..My device info tells me i have 6.7GB remaining..I cannot update any of them or anything..And i use all my apps so why would i want to delete a few to make room when i should have 6.7GB left..
    I cannot download new apps or update exsisting ones..I am gettin error messge statin I am out of memory and need to delete an app to make room..What is this and how can i fix it? I only have about 35 apps, only a handful are hombrew, most are catalog apps..My device info tells me i have 6.7GB remaining..I cannot update any of them or anything..And i use all my apps so why would i want to delete a few to make room when i should have 6.7GB left..
    I'm having the same issue!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnsloan View Post
    i found that your apps wil update if you use the update app (that you use to update your phone) to update them. the only other way is to start removing some of the homebrew apps untill you make enough room to add/update the apps through the app cat. untill palm "fixes" the limit they put on the amount of space available for apps (its not so much how many homebrew apps you have, its how much space they have taken up, even though you have 6.7gb left, palm only alloted a small amount of space that can be used for apps right now))
    <<merged dupe threads>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Welcome to the club. There seems to be some limit on apps with the Pre's current configuration. We can only hope hat the limit gets lifted when the catalog goes out of beta. The 8gig drive is partitioned 3 ways and the place whee apps go is only about 256mb...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I am having this issue too. Was wondering what the deal was.

That's rather absurd that they're limiting things in this way.
    The limit is a simple math number. If you load apps that are big in size (such as ESPN Zoom, which is 3MB in size or Word Ace which is 5MB in size) it takes up more space and allows for less room for other apps (like Bubbles, which is only 131K in size). Currently, the pre has a fixed amount of disk space it allows for apps vs. the disk space allocated for your media (photos / music / etc) which you are seeing when you look at how much space you have left in device info.

The webos-internals group had some steps to be able to re-allocate your disk space to give more of it to apps, but lets hope that palm comes out with something that places the apps in the same space as the other media allowing you to share that 7+ GB across both realms.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    If there's a limit on app's memory, why can't we delete NASCAR, or NFL! I'd personally delete those in a heartbeat to make more room.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast