Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1) /dev/mmcblk0p1 defined as a Linux/PA-RISC boot partition is only 4MB
    2) /dev/mmcblk0p2 defined as Linux partition and is 32MB mounted as /boot
    3) /dev/mmcblk0p3 defined as a Linux LVM partition is 7.62GB

The /dev/mmcblk0p3 partition is a Linux Volume Group that is sliced into six Logical Volumes:

/dev/store/root mounted on / (root) 456 MB
    /dev/store/var mounted on /var 256MB
    /dev/store/update mounts on /var/lib/update 56MB (not mounted)
    /dev/store/log/ mounted on /var/log 40MB
    /dev/store/media mounted /media/internal 6.69GB
    /dev/store/swap linux swap 128MB

It appears that if /var or / (root) usage is greater than or equal to 90% than the FAILED_NOT_ENOUGH_INSTALL_SPACE error is generated.

quoted from : http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=194024
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Like many, my Pre hit "the wall" and wouldn't install any new apps, despite my deleting older ones. I couldn't seem to install apps from the App Catalog or via FileCoaster. (WebOS QuickInstall always worked, though.)

This changed, a couple of days, ago, when I did the following: I removed every audio file iTunes had synced to my Pre.

This also had the effect of taking my available storage from 0.6 GB to 1.1 GB. You can decide the cause, but the effect was that FileCoaster could now install apps, again, on my Pre.

And as for the Palm Catalog, it still won't let me install that sexy Tetris app (it says I don't have room even though I've repeatedly deleted App Catalog and Homebrew Apps) but I can install other applications, again.*

I thought someone else might benefit from this experience because the installation block was really bothering me - not to mention making me think I'd need to use WebOS Doctor to or something to restore my Pre to its factory state.

* - At this point, I'm not 100% sure I'd tried to install other App Catalog apps before cutting ties with iTunes/upping my available storage, but let's say I'm 75% confident.
    i deleted a bunch of songs (not everyone tho), did a reset and still could not add one app. i have 36 Pre apps installed -no homebrews and i have 4.5 GB of available memory!
    Quote Originally Posted by ASprintGuy View Post
    I believe the core palm apps live within a different directory structure and therefore won't impact your downloaded app space.

Sprint can't do anything about it... its all Palm and WebOS.
    Sprint better learn to start doing something about it. The phone was released on their network. Users signed a contract with them...not Palm. Have you heard of a little thing called product acceptance testing?? This SHOULD have been caught. This is typical ole Sprint, rush the product to market and then test and fix it in post go-live. Glad to see that not much has changed since I left the company. Pull it together Hesse before you wind up in another class-action lawsuit.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I have 6.7 GB available. I am a poweruser and can't add additional (or update) HomeBrew apps. I am angry. BTW, I have WebOs 1.2.1.

Two questions:
    1) Can't hackers increase the size of /dev/store/var and/or /dev/store/root ?
    2) Is there a way to increase the physical RAM on my Pre like I did for my Palm Vx (mine was done by www.EFIG.com, see http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/...deservice.html).

BTW, the Palm Vx was not my first Palm device. Mine was the Pilot which I loved.
    Last edited by liv2surf; 10/05/2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Got the memory message when trying to download from the App catalog. Uninstalled Package Manager Service and Preware using QI 2.7 and ... Bingo ... was able to download anything I wanted from the AC. Seems those programs threw some kind of block to the App Catalog
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatl View Post
    Got the memory message when trying to download from the App catalog. Uninstalled Package Manager Service and Preware using QI 2.7 and ... Bingo ... was able to download anything I wanted from the AC. Seems those programs threw some kind of block to the App Catalog
    this worked for me also. I have 7.1 gb available mem. and couldn't install 51kb app from Apps Catalog
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndpre View Post
    this worked for me also. I have 7.1 gb available mem. and couldn't install 51kb app from Apps Catalog
    Worked for me too. Palm needs to fix this limitation.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I've only got 41 apps with 6.1 Gb free. Yet I cannot install anything new today. I cleared the Updates folder (which included getting webOS 1.2.1). I deleted a couple apps I don't use. Still nothing.

I'm confused how this bug seems to persist for so long.
    After you deleted the preware and package manage did all you tweaks & patches still work correctly?? And how many more apps have you installed since?

This may be the stupidest thing ever but, when this "no room for apps" thing started someone mentioned that there was a limit of 88 apps. I thought ehh that's stupid. Well last night when I received the "no room" message rim the palm app cat. I counted my icons in my launcher and had 85 including the stock sprint apps. I thought hmmmmm that's odd. Then remembered I used a patch to hide nascar, sprint TV, and music player. That's 88 app icons. I deleted a few apps the installed the "card ace" app with no problems....

count ur app icons and report back please.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    This is really starting to make the Hero look better
    Counted mine, I have 89 icons actually on my launcher pages, 13 are actually photo speed dials created by launch point, the remaining 76 are actual apps. I also have the original pre music icon hidden so that could make my total 90.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    There are several methods proposed to deal with this issue...

See...
    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Counted mine, I have 89 icons actually on my launcher pages, 13 are actually photo speed dials created by launch point, the remaining 76 are actual apps. I also have the original pre music icon hidden so that could make my total 90.
    OK can you load anymore apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    There are several methods proposed to deal with this issue...

See...
    [url= to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals[/url]
    That all looks great, but I don't understand even a lol bit of how to do it. Heck I was happy when I could install patches with out entering code.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    only having a 256mb partition for apps disturbs me.. i was not aware of this before
  16. Huk
    My var partition has been used by only 41% as shown below. But I cannot install anything from App Catalog even after I uninstalled Preware and Package managing service. I cannot use even 150MB of given 250MB?

And the disk usage says I'm using 87% of root(/) partition but I cannot even find out how I can use at least 100MB of root partition.

df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 441.7M 382.7M 59.0M 87% /
    /dev/root 31.0M 11.1M 19.9M 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 382.7M 59.0M 87% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 382.7M 59.0M 87% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2.0M 164.0k 1.8M 8% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 101.1M 146.8M 41% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    38.7M 7.1M 31.6M 18% /var/log
    tmpfs 64.0M 252.0k 63.8M 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 119.6M 0 119.6M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    6.7G 824.2M 5.9G 12% /media/internal
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    This needs to be in the Tips and Tricks that if you cannot download apps, it may be because you do not have enough space left on the Pre. Maybe it want at least 1GB free to still download apps?

- Craig
    Others have identified different factors but I'm STILL finding that I've gotta keep a good gig or so free to download apps.

When I heard how large the last major webOS update was, I can see why Palm would want us to keep a gig free (which, of course, means we DON'T have 8GB of storage space available to us).

Strange - especially since we could just give up on installing more apps and choose to use the available storage. THEN what would happen when we get ready to update - a message telling us to get rid of some music/photos/etc, first?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Anyone recommend a particular order to uninstall these two? Go in reverse install order so remove Preware then Package Manager?

Also: just remove them from within Preware or what?

Thanks!
    Wow!!! I really need to be installing more apps... compared to some of you guys I really don't use the phone at all! I have 7.2gb remaining, what are you guys installing? I can't find that much good stuff!! ;-)
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatti20 View Post
    Wow!!! I really need to be installing more apps... compared to some of you guys I really don't use the phone at all! I have 7.2gb remaining, what are you guys installing? I can't find that much good stuff!! ;-)
    everything i can. try it, dont like it? delete it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast