View Poll Results: Do you ever use the Home Button?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - always use it

26 19.70%
  • No - gestures all the way

75 56.82%
  • Just when I feel like clicking a real button for a change (ie sometimes)

31 23.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've had the Pre for four weeks and am now realizing that I basically never use the home button for absolutely anything.

While I actually prefer buttons when possible, I'm finding that the gesture area takes care of what I need when wanting to get into card view. Also, when in card view, tapping on the app itself just seems quicker than hitting the home button.

Anyway, all this just made me curious as to whether anyone else is finding this to be their experience. Yay/nay? Perhaps Palm realized this as you notice the Pixie is sans the home button. This also made me wonder if perhaps there are other functions for the home button that I don't know about?

This all makes me want to give the home button some functionality that wouldn't be redundant.. like bringing up the launcher page while in any app.. that would take one step out ..or holding down the home button and dragging your finger to select text to copy (post 1.2 update) without having to open up the keyboard. I would also love to see the home button be able to wake the phone up to the slide to unlock screen.. or a quick double-click to completely unlock the phone.
    I never used it till it was able to wake the device..now I use it everyday. The LED notifications will be nice too.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I never used it till it was able to wake the device..
    So you can wake the device with the home button? Just did a search but didn't find a solution for doing that.. have you a link or info?
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    The home button just breaks up the gesture area. I think that they weren't sure how people would react to a phone with absolutely no face buttons. If they could go back, they wouldn't have included it, as apparent from the new pixi pictures. I don't remember the last time I actually used it.
    its like my pre has a nipple to rub
    I actually have been using it a lot more lately, because if you have the keyboard open it now turns on the screen, and also been using it more to get into card view so that I can universal search. When I don't have the keyboard open, I don't use it at all though.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Any key on the keyboard also turns the screen on...the home button is useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Any key on the keyboard also turns the screen on...the home button is useless.
    Yeah, but any key on the keyboard does not bring up card view, so I can just press the center button twice - once to wake, once to card view - and start searching. And besides that, if I hold my phone with the keyboard open, the button is right under my thumb anyway.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    It would have been better without it, but then you would hold the phone upside down. If it is off then it would be more difficult to tell which way is up and which is down.
    Nope, never use it and I hate the fact the button press will wake the phone, its not flushed like the iphone so it has a better chance of an accidental wake up.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I use it all the time, coming from a Blackberry. I've been trying to force myself to use the gestures because this forum has led me to believe it is the "right" way, haha. Just can't seem to shake the habit.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Nope, never use it and I hate the fact the button press will wake the phone, its not flushed like the iphone so it has a better chance of an accidental wake up.
    It only works when the keyboard is open so there are no accidental wake ups.
    Ever since my center button got slightly depressed into the device I stopped using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    It only works when the keyboard is open so there are no accidental wake ups.
    1.2 is brining the wakeup feature.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I don't understand how you DON'T use it. I use it all of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by geogray View Post
    I don't understand how you DON'T use it. I use it all of the time.
    I like using gestures only and mostly of the horror stories from launch day pres of the screen cracking around the button that I don't use the button.
    1.2 brings a feature that wakes the phone with the home button , sweet I like it . I go to that button now out of habbit from using treo 650 700 and 755 so this is nice in my opinion.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Coming from an iPhone, I think I'll see myself using the Home Button a lot, at least at first. My Pre arrives today, so after some hands on usage I'll let you know.
    The only time I really use it is when a swipe doesn't register or I cannot swipe for some reason. The button always seems to say "f u phone, I'm going to card view" no matter what. Depending on what I am doing, swipes seem to be affected by lag and processing of items. I have found the button convenient when I wanted to close something without it loading.
    yeah I use the button when a card freezes and the gesture don't work. The pixi don't even have a center button guess palm heard us say its useless. But they should of added a trackball that click
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast