Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

Recent Pre purchaser, short-term chat room lurker, avid enthusiast and insufferable American here.

It has come to my attention that Rod Whitby, admin of webos-internals and a developer of Preware and a number of other apps, HAS NO PRE!

This is unbelievable, but it turns out that Telestra, the infamous Australian telecom, has not yet signed a contract with Palm allowing the Pre to be sold Down Under.

Mr. Whitby not having a pre is unacceptable. So I have donated $25 to the cause of his purchasing an unlocked phone, not bound to any network, to develop with.

The email address to donate to is (captcha) buy-rod-a-pre at rwhitby dot net. The current selling price for an unlocked Pre is somewhere in the 600-750 range. Only a few of you need donate, and not that much money!

Rod has promised to donate any money above and beyond the amount necessary to buy a phone to other major developers who are unfortunately in countries with unjust and insufferable telecoms, after which he will donate any FURTHER money (ha ha) to webos-internals.

Thank you for your time, thank you for your donations, and Rod, Keep up the good work!

-Hugh Eisenman
    Okay first of all, there's no such thing as an unlocked Pre right now, because there's no GSM Pre. What you mean is an off-contract Pre. Not the same thing.

Secondly, you have a grand total of this one post on the forum. Why should anyone trust the money's going to where you say it is?
    Hugh talked me into accepting donations for a Pre, so I figured I should post here so people knew that the buy-rod-a-pre@rwhitby.net PayPal address was legitimate.

For those who are not aware, I founded WebOS-Internals.org and Preware.org and am attempting to build a developer community around those concepts.

Along with the other WebOS Internals developers (who are far more skilled at webOS development than I am), we bring you the Preware and Terminal applications, the Virtual Keyboard patch, the WebOS Internals wiki, the mechanisms and repositories for applying other patches, and the open standard ipkg repositories at ipkg.preware.org (with more feeds being added each week it seems).

I pledge to use any donations to allow someone in the US to purchase and ship to me a CDMA Pre (which unfortunately will not work as a phone in Australia) to be used for on-device testing and development related to WebOS Internals and Preware. When I am able to purchase a GSM/UMTS Pre for myself, I will use the CDMA Pre for hardware-related investigations (e.g. finding the Serial and JTAG ports).

Any left-over donations will go to WebOS Internals (see http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...s:Site_support for details of how those donations will be handled).

Thanks to jhoff80 for being appropriately skeptical

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    yep, its a legit post. I was following the story on irc and also already donated.

I try to be judicious with my donating because I am not too well off, but in this case it was important to me to show my support.

1) Although there is a huuuge community involved in pre development (many thanks to them, but thats another thread(s)), rwhitby specifically has helped me out alot with his posts and tireless advice.

2) his posts and info directly led to me taking the "access linux" plunge, and just today I rooted in to my phone to prevent auto updates... successfully!

3) his (and WOS-internals) vehement adherence to the mantra of Open Source, Open Access has forced developers and pimpers to to take into account the need and benefits of maintaining transparency.

So, yeh... donating is personal, in that we each choose what was important enough to warrant it for our particular circumstances, but in this case I feel it is important to show rwhitby some support.

I hope you will as well.... that webos-internals community is like the "man behind the curtain" in the Pre version of Wizard of Oz... fitting for an Aussie!

And damn... you cant skin or touchstone a emulator!
    Last edited by superduperpre; 09/09/2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: update
    I know that I have not posted on these forums a lot but I was very surprised when I read that he did not have a Pre.

Some basic details about myself is that I am 26, "kinda married" (long story), with 3 kids. After several years of schooling in the Information Systems field I finally had enough and switched my major to Computer Science. I have only had a few classes in C++ programming but learned a lot. Do to some life changes I was not able to take the programming classes that I wanted this semester and I am stuck taking only calculus. Over the fall and possibly the spring I wanted to find some project to keep myself busy with that was related to programming.......and that's how I found the Pre. Previously my only smart phone experience has been with HTC WinMo devices. I am also a die hard linux user but no sysadmin by any means.

So let me get to the meat of my post. Through a complicated and frustrating customer service experience with sprint I ended up lucking out with an extra Pre. It still has a good ESN (not that it really matters since Rod is in Australia) and is in perfect working order. I have made one post on howardforums in an attempt to sale this Pre. I have not garnered much attention. I am trying to avoid ebay as I don't want my funds held up for 1/4 of a year while they ensure that there is no charge back.

I would like to offer this Pre up for the cause. While I can not afford to let it go completely free (trust me if I could I would) if Rod can contact me we can negotiate a reasonable price that works for me and hopefully gets a Pre in Rod's hands for a lot cheaper then retail or ebay price.

Please feel free to contact me via PM and I can provide any verification you need.
    I thought webos-internals was open source/free not donation ware???
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    haha
    Guess who "How can it be a donation if you get a Pre out of it?" ;-)
    Last edited by jack87; 09/09/2009 at 02:43 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Eguy, Jack: Nice one

(For those not in #webos-internals, it's an in-joke ...)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I don't know what all this "preware", "optware, "ipkg service" and "webos-internals" stuff is, but Rod is really on the front line of lowering my blood pressure.

Misuse of the terms ROOT and BRICK have forced me to RAAAAGGGGEEEE many times past. Rod has quelled many of these misnomers and forced journalists and Pre-users alike to realize the errors of their ways.

And when they haven't he's shoved it back in their faces, which I particularly appreciate.

Heck, it's possible you're actually extending my life. My cardiologist thanks you.

That's why I feel Rod needs a Pre.
    How is the exchage rate these days? Im about to donate (this is sooooooooo a worthy and the right thing to do), but should I do it in US Dollars or Aust. ? Which would net Rod a bigger chunk?

And for everyone else that has benefited even a teeny bit from having this guy in our midst, there are what? THOUSANDS of registered members? And what? HUNDREDS post daily? If EVERYBODY just gave a BUCK! A teeny tiny DOLLAR? Who cant part with a dollar?

Think how many Pre;s Rod could have by now, to experiement with?

Off to donate my fair share, and cover a few who are not giving theirs
  11.    #11  
    JHoff80: Thanks for the reply, and I apologize for the seemingly random "donate now!" thread. I'm not usually a forum poster for any of my interests, but I've been active in the webos-internals chat room for about a month now.

The whole "rwhitby needs a pre" conversation started in IRC and then moved here, but I was...tired and not terribly illuminating as far as the prior (background) reasoning for this forum post.

Again, I apologize for any confusion.

Dianehelen, thank you! While JHoff80 made excellent points about phishing in this manner, active developers who are donating their time and yet don't have a Pre would be well served in receiving one from us, the community, so they can develop faster and more efficiently. (We get better served that way as well )

-Hugh
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    How is the exchage rate these days? Im about to donate (this is sooooooooo a worthy and the right thing to do), but should I do it in US Dollars or Aust. ? Which would net Rod a bigger chunk?
    Since Rod wants to buy the Pre in the US, he will need the funds in US dollars.
    What's obviously needed here is reverse-engineering of GPS antennas.

1. GPS antenna in America
    2. Airave in Australia
    3. ?????
    4. Profit, by cracky!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    very worthwhile cause. i'm happy to give back; have had a lot of fun learning and watching the development of this project.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post

And for everyone else that has benefited even a teeny bit from having this guy in our midst, there are what? THOUSANDS of registered members? And what? HUNDREDS post daily? If EVERYBODY just gave a BUCK! A teeny tiny DOLLAR? Who cant part with a dollar?

Think how many Pre;s Rod could have by now, to experiement with?

Off to donate my fair share, and cover a few who are not giving theirs
    very well put... we only need 700 peeps.. buck each
    MatterOfFactJack
    you guys, when i get money, i myself will giving money and I hope many other can do the same.

the amount doesn't matter, but it shows that you appreciate the webos-internals work.

there are many things that can be brought to the pre, but the emulator limits what can be done for rod.

hopefully you guys can gather a dollar or two, or even more to donate, it will pay off.
    This is too good of a cause I had to.

We need you to have one of these in your hands like the rest of us.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Rod, if you were volunteering all this while without a device, I cant wait for you to get your hands on it.

A big thanks to everyone involved! Look forward to seeing how the DirectFB plugin turns out.
    Donation sent....keep up the great work!
    So, I see this thread has been moved (I think) which seems to have killed it.

I see Rod is no longer showing the amount collected in his signature...does that mean he got enough or is it dead in the water?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast