Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    So, I see this thread has been moved (I think) which seems to have killed it.

I see Rod is no longer showing the amount collected in his signature...does that mean he got enough or is it dead in the water?
    A CDMA Pre with a clean ESN has been purchased, and is in the process of being shipped to me (thanks to bpadalino).

That's the good news, and thanks to all who have donated!

The bad news is that a GSM Pre is no longer expected to land in Australia for the forseeable future, since Palm seems to have closed up shop in Australia. See http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1892149 for details. So it looks like I will need to import an unlocked GSM Pre from Europe as well, so I'm now saving up for that eventuality to get a Pre that I can actually use as a phone in Australia.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyidaho View Post
    I know that I have not posted on these forums a lot but I was very surprised when I read that he did not have a Pre.

Some basic details about myself is that I am 26, "kinda married" (long story), with 3 kids. After several years of schooling in the Information Systems field I finally had enough and switched my major to Computer Science. I have only had a few classes in C++ programming but learned a lot. Do to some life changes I was not able to take the programming classes that I wanted this semester and I am stuck taking only calculus. Over the fall and possibly the spring I wanted to find some project to keep myself busy with that was related to programming.......and that's how I found the Pre. Previously my only smart phone experience has been with HTC WinMo devices. I am also a die hard linux user but no sysadmin by any means.

So let me get to the meat of my post. Through a complicated and frustrating customer service experience with sprint I ended up lucking out with an extra Pre. It still has a good ESN (not that it really matters since Rod is in Australia) and is in perfect working order. I have made one post on howardforums in an attempt to sale this Pre. I have not garnered much attention. I am trying to avoid ebay as I don't want my funds held up for 1/4 of a year while they ensure that there is no charge back.

I would like to offer this Pre up for the cause. While I can not afford to let it go completely free (trust me if I could I would) if Rod can contact me we can negotiate a reasonable price that works for me and hopefully gets a Pre in Rod's hands for a lot cheaper then retail or ebay price.

Please feel free to contact me via PM and I can provide any verification you need.
    You forgot about your homies kenny... LOL joking bro...
    rwhitby.net : The Palm Pre lands in Australia

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    what are your thoughts of your "girlfirend"(pre) that you've never met? Now that you have it in hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    what are your thoughts of your "girlfirend"(pre) that you've never met? Now that you have it in hand?
    The keyboard is not as good as my current Treo 650, but other than that I like it so far ...

-- Rod
    I'm kinda late to this thread having been watching and salavating over the Pre from the damp and cold shores of the UK. I'm finally getting my Pre next week when the GSM version launches on O2 here and so I have spread the net a bit wider in the forums I'm reading and noticed this one.

It's terrible that our friends down under still don't have a launch date and even worse that Rod has been struggling to provide the service he does without hardware. I understand you now have a CDMA model, Rod, but I thought I should donate anyway ($15 on it's way via paypal).

I can't promise I will be using many hacks on my Pre as stability and reliability are high on my priorities but I'll certainly help wherever I can. I guess there will be plenty of other GSM users on here from next week and we'll all be benefiting from the work Rod has already done.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I'm kinda late to this thread having been watching and salavating over the Pre from the damp and cold shores of the UK. I'm finally getting my Pre next week when the GSM version launches on O2 here and so I have spread the net a bit wider in the forums I'm reading and noticed this one.

It's terrible that our friends down under still don't have a launch date and even worse that Rod has been struggling to provide the service he does without hardware. I understand you now have a CDMA model, Rod, but I thought I should donate anyway ($15 on it's way via paypal).

I can't promise I will be using many hacks on my Pre as stability and reliability are high on my priorities but I'll certainly help wherever I can. I guess there will be plenty of other GSM users on here from next week and we'll all be benefiting from the work Rod has already done.
    Thanks Andy. We'll be looking for people to help make sure we support the GSM Pre in webos-internals.org just as well as we currently support the CDMA Pre and Pixi.

My current plan is to try and get an unlocked GSM Pre from Germany, and then swap the keyboards with the CDMA Pre I have from the USA.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Hi Rwhitby...great things you are doing. I too am trying get a unlocked GSM Palm Pre here in France. It doesn't look like it's going to happen soon. I'd prefer a QWERTY keyboard but at this point, I'd make do with anything.

I made this thread to try to sort out all possible (legal) ways to obtain an unlocked handset. I just added a link to the first post to a German article that says the OS version on the GSM version doesn't let you manually set up the data connection, and the pre-configuration of known networks was not only for local providers, but mostly not working.

Can you bring your magic to fixing that little problem?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    there is no doubt that it is amazing that we have rob , what you did here along with the other developers is truely amazing and magnificent please accept a 50$ from me hope you get your pre and use it daily..
    thanks again for your great input
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12