1.    #1  
    I'm used to getting the 'too many cards' notification now and again (even when I have one or even no cards open) or the screen not responding after my Pre's been on for a few days, and a soft reset has always worked like a charm when it came time to get it working again.

But lately, I've been having to soft reset my phone every day. The 'too many cards' error still happens every now and again, but the biggest problem I've been having is the touchscreen not responding or not working properly. I'll be on a webpage and try dragging to move the page, instead all it does is resize. I'll try to tap open an app from the launcher, only to not have it respond (if the launcher is even willing to open). One time when I couldn't open the launcher, I couldn't even get through the app through universal search (anything I typed just wouldn't register).

The soft reset is a fine enough temporary fix, but is there anything I can do to my Pre so I don't have to do it so often? Should I take all these little errors as a sign my Pre might need to be replaced soon?
    have you tried a partial or full erase?
  3.    #3  
    How does a partial erase differ from a full erase?

I'll keep it in mind as a last-ditch effort, since the errors I'm getting are at best a minor inconvenience not worth losing all my settings, events, tasks, etc... or are all those covered by Palm Backup?
  4.    #4  
    Last edited by jasetroncs; 09/09/2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Double posted.
    a full erase wipes the entire contents of the phone, including pics/music/etc stored on the 'internal storage'. a partial erase leaves that data intact.

you probably just need to do a partial erase, and yes, you will have to reset your settings and anything not restored by your palm profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    I'm used to getting the 'too many cards' notification now and again (even when I have one or even no cards open) or the screen not responding after my Pre's been on for a few days, and a soft reset has always worked like a charm when it came time to get it working again.

But lately, I've been having to soft reset my phone every day. The 'too many cards' error still happens every now and again, but the biggest problem I've been having is the touchscreen not responding or not working properly. I'll be on a webpage and try dragging to move the page, instead all it does is resize. I'll try to tap open an app from the launcher, only to not have it respond (if the launcher is even willing to open). One time when I couldn't open the launcher, I couldn't even get through the app through universal search (anything I typed just wouldn't register).

The soft reset is a fine enough temporary fix, but is there anything I can do to my Pre so I don't have to do it so often? Should I take all these little errors as a sign my Pre might need to be replaced soon?
    Apps, baby. It's the apps.

I'm tempted to blame Homebrew, but I honestly don't know if one, some, or all are to blame. What I do know is I have to reset my phone just about every day and I use Homebrew apps more than the native ones (besides those that work whenever the os is active).

Personally, I'm not willing to give up my Homebrew for more stability (yet). This was something I figured was likely from the start. People dig the stability and "snappiness" then start fiddling with crap and then blame Palm or Sprint for subsequent instability. I'm not saying you're doing that, but it's the pattern I've noticed and tried to at least be aware of when I'm doing my OWN b!tching.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by prdstm0nke View Post
    a full erase wipes the entire contents of the phone, including pics/music/etc stored on the 'internal storage'. a partial erase leaves that data intact.

you probably just need to do a partial erase, and yes, you will have to reset your settings and anything not restored by your palm profile.

Not to hijack this thread, but can someone explain why the Palm Profile is missing so many valuable features? I thought their whole backup solution would make reformatting and starting over easy. As it is you still have to re-link contacts, change preferences etc. What does it exactly backup?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

Apps, baby. It's the apps.

I'm tempted to blame Homebrew, but I honestly don't know if one, some, or all are to blame. What I do know is I have to reset my phone just about every day and I use Homebrew apps more than the native ones (besides those that work whenever the os is active).
    I thought homebrew apps were supposed to be no different from "normal" apps save for the method by which they were loaded onto the phone. Granted, the majority of those apps are still beta and perhaps not all the kinks have been worked out, but the same could very well be said for "official" apps that have made their way onto the App Catalog. Updates are submitted all the time, and while some of those may be to implement new features, odds are the update simply fixes an unforeseen error that was discovered.

If having those apps is the problem, does that mean that when the App Catalog is up, running, and full of apps and I download several of them onto my phone, I should expect it to lag?

Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post

Not to hijack this thread, but can someone explain why the Palm Profile is missing so many valuable features? I thought their whole backup solution would make reformatting and starting over easy. As it is you still have to re-link contacts, change preferences etc. What does it exactly backup?
    I'm under the impression that it simply backs up contacts, nothing else. And not that I'm an expert on the subject, but from what I've seen not even that is all too reliable.

At any rate, any contacts added to your list after the phone is up and running default to your Google profile instead of your Palm profile which can be easily changed, but I haven't particularly bothered since it really makes no difference either way. If anything, I prefer to have them loaded to my Google profile as the syncing with Google seems much more reliable thus far than the syncing with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Personally, I'm not willing to give up my Homebrew for more stability (yet). This was something I figured was likely from the start. People dig the stability and "snappiness" then start fiddling with crap and then blame Palm or Sprint for subsequent instability. I'm not saying you're doing that, but it's the pattern I've noticed and tried to at least be aware of when I'm doing my OWN b!tching.
    For PalmOS blaming the apps was often accurate but WebOS is not PalmOS. 3rd Party apps should not be able to crash the device or render it unstable after they have exited.