1.    #1  
    So ponder this. This is one of the most powerful phones correct? But yet it is missing some very basic features that inferior phones have. For example, voice dial, video recording, and visual voicemail just to name a few.

These are basic items that should have been included in the phone, but Palm knew they were not deal killer's for most of us. So instead of including them as standard features, I believe Palm wants their cake and wants to eat it too.

So they make $230 or so on each phone. How about an extra $5 or so for each of these services through apps later on. They have had enough updates to be able to include these simple things if they were accidentally left out, so that tells me there was purpose in leaving them out.

Maybe they haven't provided them as apps yet, because up until 1.2 they haven't been able to collect for them. So my guess is some of these basic features will be for pay apps after 1.2
    You're right. Plus, I think Palm just ran out of time and needed to start bringing in some cash.

I think we'll all be holding a very different phone one month from now.
    I think new customers wouldn't buy web os phones if they knew that they were gonna have to pay for basic features
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogu View Post
    I think new customers wouldn't buy web os phones if they knew that they were gonna have to pay for basic features
    Unfortunately, the same could've been said a few years ago with respect to airline tickets (i.e., paying for checked bags, pillows, food, etc). People still buy airline tickets...and someone had to have the guts to try it in the first place. That said, i certainly hope that is NOT the way Palm chooses to go!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Funny, I couldn't care less about all of those features.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    You do realize that the iPhone didn't have two of those features until two years into its lifespan, right? Did you consider that maybe they wanted to get the basics down before moving on to relative luxuries? Give them time, the Pixi launch and additional features previewed in webOS just prove that Palm is in for the long haul on adding stuff to webOS over the coming months and years.
    I agree that they probably just wanted to get the phone out, and it appears that some of the features were available, but not included, probably because of bugs..

however, people keep saying the iphone didnt have this and that till this time and that time...and that would be fine if they came out at the same time. But technology has advanced to where phones ARE being included with these features, so 2 years shouldnt be needed. I dont really care about them and love the phone personally, but in the market today, a phone needs to enter with features that compete with phones like the iphone, or they won't be around for long...
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    You do realize that the iPhone didn't have two of those features until two years into its lifespan, right?
    Well, now it does.

If you bought a brand new BMW tomorrow, and it didn't have air conditioning, how would it sound if somebody said, "You do realize that Chevy didn't have air conditioning for 40 years into its lifespan." You don't compare things to the past, and you don't compare development time as though that makes up for the missing feature. Compare the features available to you at the time.

Yes, I realize that if it took Apple two years, it might take Palm two years. That's not the point. The point is that it sucks that we might have to wait a long time to get basic features and refinements.
    I think Palm was just trying to get to market as best they could as fast as they could.

I would say Cut and Paste, Bold and Italics were more even more basic features they left out. I think if they charge $5 each for the video apps maybe 10% will buy them.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/09/2009 at 12:26 AM.
    LOL, buy busic features. I never heard something more funny. Yes, if Palm wants to close the company, they will bring them as payed apps
    This is quite the funny notion. I mean, the whole idea of the Pre is that it's such a great value compared to the iPh...well, you know what I mean. Palm starts nickel-and-dime-ing customers making should-be-standard features paid apps...and it's a wrap.
    It baffles me why the Pre has so many missing features, especially considering it's a PALM device.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/11...-tipb-iceberg/
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Palm just doesn't have any money. I don't think they had the funds on hand to mass produce phones with all those features. So they had to cut corners somewhere and those little missing features is where they decided to do it. If you remember the launch weekend for the Pre they hardly had enough phones. Even if they wanted to, Palm just didn't have the money up front to make a million phones and have them waiting for any and everyone willing to buy one. (like deep pocket Apple can do)
    The Pre's mediocre build quality (some say poor) is a product of their lack of funds. Plastic is cheaper than metal and glass. The OS is the selling point, then if that alone can bring in enough sales then they can make improvements with the increased $$. Palm is like a person living paycheck to paycheck.
    If you bought a brand new BMW tomorrow, and it didn't have air conditioning, how would it sound if somebody said, "You do realize that Chevy didn't have air conditioning for 40 years into its lifespan." ........

And then: How about when those same groupies tell YOU to become a mechanic, so you could put the AC in yourself!! (homebrew)
    NOBODY told us we would have to be hackers to get basic functions on a so-called "smartphone" when we paid hundreds of dollars. It's complete BS.
    I just hope Pre will add the missing features till the Europe-release. If not I will realy think about getting the N900. And I don't want to think that, cause I don't like Nokia
    Cmon, no open messaging, just using of AIM and google talk (what does not work here in germany yet). No video? That are really MUST HAVE features for a smartphone like that. And I think palm will bring that in the next weeks to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    You do realize that the iPhone didn't have two of those features until two years into its lifespan, right? Did you consider that maybe they wanted to get the basics down before moving on to relative luxuries? Give them time, the Pixi launch and additional features previewed in webOS just prove that Palm is in for the long haul on adding stuff to webOS over the coming months and years.
    Give it up. You do realize the Pre isn't competing with a first gen iPhone? It's competing with the iPhone 3G, and a multitude of other smart phones, which include those features now. Video IS pretty much a basic on phones any more, when even the freebies phone companies throw at you for signing a contract have it.

Palm will only be in it for the long haul if they convince enough people to buy these phones, and given the feature shortage that's going to be an increasingly tough sell. I will admit that the 1.2 update is a first step in the right direction. If the OP is correct, though, Palm's shooting themselves in the foot.

Customer: The 3GS comes with video, right?
    Salesman: Uh, yeah.
    Customer: And so does the MyTouch, and Hero, and [long list of other phones], right?
    Salesman: Uh, yeah.
    Customer: But the Palm Pre doesn't do video?
    Salesman: Uh, but you can buy an app for that.
    Customer: See ya....
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoes View Post
    LOL, buy busic features. I never heard something more funny. Yes, if Palm wants to close the company, they will bring them as payed apps
    paid
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    If you bought a brand new BMW tomorrow, and it didn't have air conditioning, how would it sound if somebody said, "You do realize that Chevy didn't have air conditioning for 40 years into its lifespan." ........

And then: How about when those same groupies tell YOU to become a mechanic, so you could put the AC in yourself!! (homebrew)
    NOBODY told us we would have to be hackers to get basic functions on a so-called "smartphone" when we paid hundreds of dollars. It's complete BS.
    Aside from the perennial argument of "that's what happens when you're an early adopter," what basic features from a smartphone are you really missing? You can make calls (which really should be #1), have full web access, Exchange sync (yes, not on day zero, but you do now and can have multiple Exchange accounts), tasks, memos, one of the smartest address book setups I've ever seen, and basic app functionality. No one is making you install homebrew, but what of that are you looking for?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Well, now it does.

If you bought a brand new BMW tomorrow, and it didn't have air conditioning, how would it sound if somebody said, "You do realize that Chevy didn't have air conditioning for 40 years into its lifespan." You don't compare things to the past, and you don't compare development time as though that makes up for the missing feature. Compare the features available to you at the time.

Yes, I realize that if it took Apple two years, it might take Palm two years. That's not the point. The point is that it sucks that we might have to wait a long time to get basic features and refinements.
    I believe in Palm's capabilities, I feel we haven't seen anything yet, I'm sure of it! I too love my Pre so much so that I continue to accept the missing feature's because the features I do have make up for them. However with the time that has gone by, you'd think Palm would have gotten voice dialing and video recording amongst the seemingly endless other features done and out.

I feel like I've paid to beta test Web Os for Palm and with the spirit of this thread I would have to say to Palm and everyone else. If you so chose to make us pay for the features so many other companies have offered as standard in the past, then I don't see how you expect people to support your product. Web Os is great and I'm sure on your way out it'll be sold to the highest bidder.

To all of us that now support Palm and have supported Palm, I hope Palm show's it's support of us by not nickel and diming us. Please do right by your customer. It is inevitable, regardless of contrary belief people won't stick around to be nickeled and dimed.

I see some don't care if they have the missing features others enjoy on lesser phones that has nothing to do with providing a 100% product. I'm glad you’re happy with what I consider a Powerful yet incomplete product / phone. Today as any other day in the past or present or future, people want results. Your Boss, your co-workers and your client's will not stick around because you’re a nice guy.