Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need help..bad...

Ok...first to tell you the stupid thing I did..
    I was installing a theme, but the image for quick_launch_bg.png was annoying so I foolishly created a png file and left it empty, renaming it to the above.

That is the only oddball thing involved with the install, so I assume that's the problem...and now it gets stuck in a boot loop, and when it finally comes up there is no quick-launcher. When I try to plug in the USB cable, it goes back into the loop, so I can't get it to stay stable long enough to upload the corrected image or to even use WebOS Doctor..

I know it was a stupid thing to do...but help! I tried to do a warm-reset a few times but ones it comes back up I have the same problem.

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    I have created a theme with a blank .png file for the quick_launch_bg.png and it worked fine... I dont think this is your problem. Sorry i cant be more help
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    I have created a theme with a blank .png file for the quick_launch_bg.png and it worked fine... I dont think this is your problem. Sorry i cant be more help
    Hi..
    Yeah I was installing the CoD theme...which kicks *** by the way..
    ..but I only used the files from your collection, except for the one I replaced. I guess I should have also specified..I actually created a bmp first, because that's the only image file that right-clicking in windows allows you to create on the fly...then I renamed it to png. But anyway that's the only thing I did differently, and I had actually changed all of the other files and then came back and did just the one.

I guess my question is...can you hard reset the phone without going into the Device Info?..cuz once it boots to the main screen, I can't do ANYthing without it crashing. It would suck to lose my songs and stuff, but I just want it working again.
    Go to Palm.com and do a search for WebOS Doctor. There are instructions to recover from a looping reboot. Just follow them and you will be good.

Basically, once you have WebOS Doctor ready to go, pull the battery. Put the battery back in. Hold the up volume button when you plug in the USB. This should put it in USB mode to accept the reload. You will lose everything on your Pre. You might be able to terminal into the Pre via the USB mode to try to fix, I'm not sure. Never tried that.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    It's possible when you created the image, it was to large and thus....well you know. If you hold up the power button while it is off, it will bring up a big usb image, then you can use webosdoc. I am not sure what else you can do. Maybe wait and see if anyone else has suggestions. Sorry, hope this helps....a little.
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    you loaded a corrupted file onto your pre!!!! you cannot do what you did. You created to a .bmp file and simple changed the name to .png without changing the actual file format... you basically just confused the linux system on the pre.. it thinks the file is a .png file but when it tries to open the file it is formated like a .bmp.. you have to use a photoediting program to rewrite the format!! plus you need to make sure the file is the correct dimensions....

If you can access putty, any command prompt, or webos quickinstall I think we can fix your pre without you loosing anything else... Try opening up putty even if it crashes you still may be able to establish a connection to the pre... let me know if this is possible

ps thanks for the compliment on my theme
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Go to Palm.com and do a search for WebOS Doctor. There are instructions to recover from a looping reboot. Just follow them and you will be good.

Basically, once you have WebOS Doctor ready to go, pull the battery. Put the battery back in. Hold the up volume button when you plug in the USB. This should put it in USB mode to accept the reload. You will lose everything on your Pre. You might be able to terminal into the Pre via the USB mode to try to fix, I'm not sure. Never tried that.
    Ok...I did this and indeed, as you both mentioned, I got the big usb pic. But now, webos doctor is not allowing me to click "next" on the screen that says to plug my phone in. Any idea why it isn't finding it?

Side note: The drive becomes available going through My Computer, but when I open the folder it's empty.

I also find it interesting that when I don't have the phone plugged in, it boots to the main screen-less the quick launcher. Anything I do from them reboots it again. But, when I have it plugged in it stays in the loop and never gets to the main screen.
  8.    #8  
    you loaded a corrupted file onto your pre!!!! you cannot do what you did. You created to a .bmp file and simple changed the name to .png without changing the actual file format... you basically just confused the linux system on the pre.. it thinks the file is a .png file but when it tries to open the file it is formated like a .bmp.. you have to use a photoediting program to rewrite the format!! plus you need to make sure the file is the correct dimensions....

If you can access putty, any command prompt, or webos quickinstall I think we can fix your pre without you loosing anything else... Try opening up putty even if it crashes you still may be able to establish a connection to the pre... let me know if this is possible

ps thanks for the compliment on my theme
    K. I have putty, but couldn't figure out how to use it so I have been using my windows cmd...going to it now.
  9.    #9  
    Ok..I have the command prompt up, and got my phone back to the pic of the usb. I then went to C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin and ran novacom -t open tty:// which gives me "unable to find device"..
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Ok..I have the command prompt up, and got my phone back to the pic of the usb. I then went to C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin and ran novacom -t open tty:// which gives me "unable to find device"..
    You cannot be in USB mode when you try to access linux (root), can you try to do it when you do a regular boot up?
  11.    #11  
    You cannot be in USB mode when you try to access linux (root), can you try to do it when you do a regular boot up?
    I tried...and no go. It just stayed stuck in the loop...with 'unable to find device'. This is awful. I can't very well give it to sprint to fix..
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    I tried...and no go. It just stayed stuck in the loop...with 'unable to find device'. This is awful. I can't very well give it to sprint to fix..
    Does it even get to the main screen? Would they be able to tell that you have modified... If it simple boots and boots and boots, they should just give you a new one assuming you have insurance

with webos doctor i have noticed that if it wont connect try taking the battery out for 5 min then redoin the USB mode thing.. it has worked for me
  13.    #13  
    I did talk to sprint by the way and they said to do a hard reset, hold orange, do ##786#, but she didn't make sense because she said "you have to hold orange for the ## but not for the 786...which in reality you have to hit orange for 786 as well...so that went well. I tried different variations of that..lol..but nothing stopped the loop..which that code set off anyway.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Sounds like your novacom driver isn't installed or isn't installed correctly. When you plug your pre into your computer, does it (or did it) say anything about novacom palm?
  15.    #15  
    Does it even get to the main screen? Would they be able to tell that you have modified... If it simple boots and boots and boots, they should just give you a new one assuming you have insurance

with webos doctor i have noticed that if it wont connect try taking the battery out for 5 min then redoin the USB mode thing.. it has worked for me
    K..I'll try that. It boots to the main screen, and there's no quick-launch bar. Problem though is that I used the boot screens..lol..so I think they would notice...over...and over...and over...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Sounds like your novacom driver isn't installed or isn't installed correctly. When you plug your pre into your computer, does it (or did it) say anything about novacom palm?
    No...the only thing that ever occurred was windows opening the folder. I originally installed a bunch of stuff, but it got overwhelming and I found the tethering and the ssh guides which I've been using. I just plug in the phone, charge only, and then go to C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin and run that novacom -t open tty://, and then copy and paste the images and such as needed. It's never given me a problem before now. Oh and I have to mount and unmount the file system in there as well. Otherwise I've never seen anything about 'novacom palm'..
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    When it gets to the main screen will it let you connect to Webos Quickinstall???/
  18.    #18  
    When it gets to the main screen will it let you connect to Webos Quickinstall???/
    Nope. When I try to plug it in, it reboots. When I try to plug it in while it's rebooting, it never gets to the main page..
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    You may still have a connection even tho it never gets to the main page... plug the usb in turn the phone on and wait till it stops doing anything.. then try to use webos quick install.. if it says no phone connected then I am outta ideas... if it connect we can fix this
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I guess if you've been able to ssh into it before, your novacom driver should be working fine.

Just for kicks, check your device manager, and see if you have a listing in there called 'Palm Novacom Modules' when you have your palm attached to your computer. It would be in the main list, underneath Network Adapters and above Portable Devices (it's alphabetical).

Maybe you bricked your pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast