1.    #1  
    Im trying to set up my 09 mabook with the tethering app. Im not to sure were to start or what to do. or if its even possible to work on my macbook, can anyone help me
    i would wait for tethering with the new update coming soon
    My Pre is coming tomorrow, and I'll be tethering as soon as I get it to test out Sprint's network and stuff. I'm new to Sprint, so ya. WHEEE
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Tethering is the same with mac/pc/linux/etc.

All it does is turns your pre into a wireless router. Then you connect to it with whatever you want.

The hard part is installing mytether. There's articles on the site that show you how to do it. You have to root your phone though, unless you buy the $10 version of mytether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    My Pre is coming tomorrow, and I'll be tethering as soon as I get it to test out Sprint's network and stuff. I'm new to Sprint, so ya. WHEEE
    good luck go to the homebrew section of the forums
    for all the information on tethering
  6.    #6  
    thanks guys
    I actually had a lot of trouble with tethering a mac (it was an 08 macbook pro)

I gave my "donation" for the premium version, and found it to be generally glitchy and unreliable, and I couldn't get the macbook to connect to the internet through it even when it was connected to the wifi and the Pre had a good signal.

The pre could get online, and the mac could get on the WiFi, but couldn't see the internet.

What I finally found that worked, was 5 steps. If you have other versions of MyTether installed, remove them first.

1. Install preware
    2. Us preware to install the free version of MyTether and Timpiece. Installing MyTether through Preware consistently gave me an error message, but worked anyway.
    3. Turned off WiFi before launching tether. MyTether can disable it for you, but like everything else, doing it myself just seemed more reliable.
    4. Launch MyTether, and enable WiFi tethering.
    5. Switch to card view and launch timepiece. Do not actually close out MyTether. In theory, it should continue to work even if you close the card, but it seems less reliable to me. YMMV. Timepiece will keep the pre "awake" so that you don't lose your WiFi connection.

The Macbook can also tether with the Pre using BT, but BT networking has a max transfer rate of 1Mb, so if you've got a good EVDO signal, BT will slow your connection down. WiFi works much fast if you can get it going.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I actually had a lot of trouble with tethering a mac (it was an 08 macbook pro)

I gave my "donation" for the premium version, and found it to be generally glitchy and unreliable, and I couldn't get the macbook to connect to the internet through it even when it was connected to the wifi and the Pre had a good signal.

The pre could get online, and the mac could get on the WiFi, but couldn't see the internet.

What I finally found that worked, was 5 steps. If you have other versions of MyTether installed, remove them first.

1. Install preware
    2. Use preware to install the free version of MyTether and Timpiece. Installing MyTether through Preware consistently gave me an error message, but worked anyway.
    3. Turned off WiFi before launching tether. MyTether can disable it for you, but like everything else, doing it myself just seemed more reliable.
    4. Launch MyTether, and enable WiFi tethering.
    5. Switch to card view and launch timepiece. Do not actually close out MyTether. In theory, it should continue to work even if you close the card, but it seems less reliable to me. YMMV. Timepiece will keep the pre "awake" so that you don't lose your WiFi connection.

The Macbook can also tether with the Pre using BT, but BT networking has a max transfer rate of 1Mb, so if you've got a good EVDO signal, BT will slow your connection down. WiFi works much fast if you can get it going.
    Cool tips. I'll try that out if I can't get it working otherwise. = )

Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    good luck go to the homebrew section of the forums
    for all the information on tethering
    Yep. I've read up on it. I've been following the progress of the Pre for about a month now. I look forward to installing HomeBrew apps. They look interesting. I'm coming from an iPhone so this'll be fun.
    Last edited by Shiggitay; 09/09/2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added another quote
    I don't ever post just read and have become very familiar with the homebrew, sdk, osquickinstall, root, etc. However I am really stuck, maybe you can help.

Installed MyTether 2.0.4, using windows because my mac is 10.4 OS. App is installed on my pre and produces a wifi to my Mac on a computer to computer network. However, there is no internet being pushed over. I am pulling an IP address of 169.1192.x.x and get a 225.x.x subnet. Are these standard IP addresses for the tether?

Also, bluetooth as a network access point NAP connects but no internet transfers over neither. I think it is a problem on the Pre not the computer because I have tried with other PCs and no luck

Any Ideas?

Do I have to root my pre or do do something with the SSH?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Tethering is the same with mac/pc/linux/etc.

All it does is turns your pre into a wireless router. Then you connect to it with whatever you want.

The hard part is installing mytether. There's articles on the site that show you how to do it. You have to root your phone though, unless you buy the $10 version of mytether.
    i paid for it, it worked one time, then stopped working, not sure what the problem is... i spend hours restoring my phone, reinstall it, it works 1 time then stops again...