Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Ok, that was lame title, but there's football involved and I think it would be nice to hear a few stories about how people are actually getting use of the phone, instead of just talk about what a failure it is, so it kinda fits.

    Our Labor Day weekend started out with a trip from San Diego up near Thousand Oaks (east of LA) Friday afternoon for my son's football game, and then to Pasadena for the UCLA/SDSU game on Saturday at the Rose Bowl. I would normally call on my wife's Lexus for such an adventure - considering the better gas mileage, more comfortable ride and built-in Nav system - but since I wanted to see how Sprint Nav would do on a longer trip, and I had also just that morning finally finished installing an amp to power that subwoofer I'd built for the truck last year (precrastinating), we went for the rough ride instead.

    The original plan was to leave the house around noon (game started at 7pm and we needed to check into our hotel first and then drive another 30 miles to get to the high school) but, since I'm married, we left at 2pm instead. I plugged the address of the hotel into the Sprint Nav which reported back that we'd be arriving at the La Quinta Inn around 5:30pm. Knowing that the 405 freeway, with it's round-the-clock gridlock, lay in our path, angry beads of sweat instantly began forming on my forehead.

    As it turns out, there was no need for trepidation; the Sprint Nav not only reported the traffic ahead of time and offered to find routes around it, but (unlike the Magellan it replaced) appears to have compensated for said traffic in its ETA estimate. In the end, we pulled into the parking lot at the hotel right about 5:40pm despite heavy traffic on I-5 north and the ridiculous traffic we encountered on the 405 from LAX most of the way up the hill to the 101. I really don't know how anyone lives in LA. But I digress.

    A couple of interesting things about the Nav on this leg of the trip; when we hit the heavy traffic on the 405 it lost satellite connection and only got it back sporadically for the rest of the way up. It seemed to regain signal once we got moving again, but then lost it for the rest of the trip down the 101. I couldn't even get a signal standing outside under clear sky once we got to the hotel. I switched over to Google Maps as it seems to have better luck keeping a signal, but even it was giving chopping readings and the accuracy circle was unusually large. Maybe satellites hate LA as much as I do...

    One other thing; I had turned off the audio on the Nav (also shut off email notifications) since we were listening to music from the Pre through the Aux input (sounded very sweet, BTW) and didn't want all the interruptions. I noticed it was a lot more difficult to pick your way through crazy LA interchanges visually. I ended up turning the voice back on for the rest of the trip and found that, other than checking on ETA, I almost never needed to look at the screen again.

    Oh, and another thing; my Pre is mounted on TS in the car and usually locks when I haven't touched it for a while. But with the Nav on and maximized (same with Google Maps and the message app), it doesn't lock. Not sure which other programs will keep it from doing so - unfortunately the music app isn't one of them.

    Anyway, after checking into the hotel I still couldn't get a signal on the Sprint Nav, so used the Google Maps to find our way to the high school. Game ended in a tie, but since it wasn't a league game and the opposition is ranked 12th in the state, we'll take that.

    We were all pretty hungry after the game, so I whipped out the Pre and started searching for restaurants with the Good Food app - that is until I looked at my watch and noted it was 10:30pm. So much for Good Food, that 24-hour Del Taco up the street would have to do.

    Saturday the Pre and Sprint Nav, now exorcised of satellite signal issues, got us from the hotel to my sister's new place west of downtown (routing us on streets to avoid Saturday afternoon freeway traffic as is the custom in LA) where we dropped my wife, and from there to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena without a hiccup. For those of you who haven't attended a game there (it was my first) parking is on a golf course. That's right, a golf course. Thousands of cars parked in failry unorganized fashion on a pretty nondescript course. As we were walking away from the truck, I wondered aloud how in the heck I was going to find my vehicle after the game - when I suddenly remember that Find My Car app I'd downloaded from Homebrew! I pinned the vehicle location on the map and off we went to the game. Sweet. As we're walking off, my other son asks "Dad, do you actually need an app for that? Couldn't you just somehow save your location on the map manually?" "Shut up, kid - this is a cool app."

    As it turns out, either Find My Car isn't very intuitive or I'm not too bright (likely the latter), because I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to use it to get me back to the car. The pin it placed for the vehicle seemed to be nowhere near the spot where we finally found the truck. Good thing we left the game early.

    After that, the Nav got us back to my sister's to retrieve my spouse and all the way back home with no further glitchiness. All-in-all, the technology wasn't perfect, but I did manage to leave the house and find four places I'd never been without once checking a physical map or computer. With music playing in the background the whole time, text alerts from my son from the bus showing up elegantly in the notifications area, a couple of hands-free phone calls, a bunch of email. All on this little river stone. Good stuff.
  2. Tubal's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #2  
    Holy crap. Where's the cliff notes?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Holy crap. Where's the cliff notes?
    LOL. Ok, here they are: used the Nav for a trip to LA Friday/Saturday, it appears to compensate for traffic in the ETA which is cool. Lost the sat signal for part of the trip up which wasn't cool, Google maps did a decent job as backup. Worked great for the rest of the trip. Turning off the audio makes navigation on the small screen a bit of a pain. And I couldn't find my car with the Find My Car app.

    Test on Monday.
  4. Tubal's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    LOL. Ok, here they are: used the Nav for a trip to LA Friday/Saturday, it appears to compensate for traffic in the ETA which is cool. Lost the sat signal for part of the trip up which wasn't cool, Google maps did a decent job as backup. Worked great for the rest of the trip. Turning off the audio makes navigation on the small screen a bit of a pain. And I couldn't find my car with the Find My Car app.

    Test on Monday.
    That reminds me of the time I was using NavTrack or whatever it was called a few years ago on Nextel. I was taking a trip from Phoenix to Salt Lake City and thought I was all cool because my phone was going to tell me how to get there.

    I decided to take the scenic way up through Page and Glen Canyon, and in the mountains, I lost my phone signal. The road went off track just a little, and when my phone went to reroute, it couldn't connect, and I lost all my directions. So there I was in the middle of nowhere, with no directions. So I had to just drive til I found a small town. That trip took an extra hour.

    But I agree, the Pre is awesome.
  5. #5  
    i'm assuming you had it on a car charger the entire time you were in the car?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    That reminds me of the time I was using NavTrack or whatever it was called a few years ago on Nextel. I was taking a trip from Phoenix to Salt Lake City and thought I was all cool because my phone was going to tell me how to get there.

    I decided to take the scenic way up through Page and Glen Canyon, and in the mountains, I lost my phone signal. The road went off track just a little, and when my phone went to reroute, it couldn't connect, and I lost all my directions. So there I was in the middle of nowhere, with no directions. So I had to just drive til I found a small town. That trip took an extra hour.

    But I agree, the Pre is awesome.
    Yup, once I dropped that signal and realized I hadn't even bothered to look at or print out a map before getting in the car I got a little nervous. But I did have the phone number for the hotel so wasn't sweating it too much. Gotta always have a back up I suppose...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    i'm assuming you had it on a car charger the entire time you were in the car?
    Yeah, I've got a Touchstone mounted in the truck. No way it would've survived 3 1/2 hours on battery with the Nav and music running.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Holy crap. Where's the cliff notes?
    I laughed out-loud at this and the op's comment to his son. Good stuff.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  9. #9  
    Sorry for the djb.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    . All on this little river stone. Good stuff.
    Haha, I like that description. The little river stone with a screen, built-in phone and GPS. Cool
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  11. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #11  
    My sprint navigation was having issues picking up my location too this weekend. I needed it on Friday evening and it wouldn't pick up our location. It was acting up the next morning too but I rebooted it and then it worked fine. Maybe Sprint Navigation was a little overloaded with people using it to travel this weekend?
  12. Tubal's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    My sprint navigation was having issues picking up my location too this weekend. I needed it on Friday evening and it wouldn't pick up our location. It was acting up the next morning too but I rebooted it and then it worked fine. Maybe Sprint Navigation was a little overloaded with people using it to travel this weekend?
    Don't think it has anything to do with the amount of users. Sometimes if you start up your sprint navigation program and don't have a good enough signal for EVDO, it messes up the GPS driver, and you have to reboot.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    My sprint navigation was having issues picking up my location too this weekend. I needed it on Friday evening and it wouldn't pick up our location. It was acting up the next morning too but I rebooted it and then it worked fine. Maybe Sprint Navigation was a little overloaded with people using it to travel this weekend?
    No, sometimes the GPS chip stays dormant and rebooting is the only way (I know of) to get it to work again. At other times, turning GPS on/off or running Google Maps can help. Could also be that the 'wake up' signal from Telenav and Google Maps doesn't work at times.

    This seems like something that can be fixed or maybe someone in the homebrew section can brew something up to 'wake up' the chip when needed.

    I use it quite a bit and have been paying attention to the performance. It works so well (when it works) that it's easy to forgive the glitches but I'm trying to pinpoint a pattern for when it doesn't want to work. So far, it's been working well so I haven't noticed anything in particular. Only that it seems to not work when the phone has been idle which could very well be a problem with power management like another user suggested. Hopefully Palm is aware and looking into it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  14. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    No, sometimes the GPS chip stays dormant and rebooting is the only way (I know of) to get it to work again. At other times, turning GPS on/off or running Google Maps can help. Could also be that the 'wake up' signal from Telenav and Google Maps doesn't work at times.

    This seems like something that can be fixed or maybe someone in the homebrew section can brew something up to 'wake up' the chip when needed.

    I use it quite a bit and have been paying attention to the performance. It works so well (when it works) that it's easy to forgive the glitches but I'm trying to pinpoint a pattern for when it doesn't want to work. So far, it's been working well so I haven't noticed anything in particular. It seems to not work when the phone has been idle so it could very well be a problem with power management like another user suggested. Hopefully Palm is aware and looking into it.
    Hmm, now that I think about it, I do remember turning off the "use GPS" feature in location services a while ago. Then when ran Navigation, it said it needed to turn on the GPS, so I told it to turn it on. After this I had checked in the location services preferences app and it said "use GPS" was turned on. But maybe there is a bug that the Nav app thinks it turns on GPS but it never does.

Posting Permissions