Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I'm amazed how easy was the trick and how well it actually works.
    The method was posted by wrightwe at precentral.net, in an article comment. I think the guy is not even a member here, yet his method worked impeccably!

Quote Originally Posted by wrightwe
    My Pre had a little bit of wiggle from the very beginning. But then one day I dropped it (gasp!) and noticed there was much more play between the two halves. In desperation, I tried an embarrassingly simple fix............ AND IT WORKED!!!!!

Here's what I did:
    - Held the Pre face up in my left hand
    - With my right, I put firm pressure on all 4 corners of the Pre
    - Keeping pressure, I sloooowly opened and closed the Pre 1-2x

VOILA! Suddenly my Pre felt much tighter, with just a little bit of wobble to keep its personality.
    I tried his method and my Pre is tighter then a virgin! Whoot! I cannot believe it how well this trick worked. All you Oreo people, must do this. If you don't believe me, read the article to see how many others had the same success...

Edit: Some said that it did work for them, other it did not. Try it at your own risk.
    You can also read the author's blog entry. It has detailed pictures.
    Last edited by T3CK; 09/21/2009 at 08:22 AM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Yeah, that's been posted here a few times as well. It only seems to work on some wiggle - I have 3mm of play, and the pushing while opening thing doesn't do squat for my wiggle. Another person said that this method worked for them, but they have to repeat the fix every 3-4 days. Others swear by it.

I think it may have to do with WHY the wiggle appears... my sister had wiggle, but no visible gap on her phone, and this fixed it. I have huge gap and wiggle, this trick did nothing. Seems I'm not one of the lucky ones...

Still, this one (my 3rd) functions correctly, and my first 2 didn't, so I'm living with the wiggle.
    Boy, if the sliders are so flimsy this really works, then it's only a matter of time before the tightest Pre starts to lossen up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Is the wiggle normal when the phone is closed? Open mine is extremely tight, closed there's quite a bit of play.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I applied wrightwe's method 3 times. Every time, the slider felt better and tighter. Right now it is perfect. I will make sure not to twist the phone or fool around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Is the wiggle normal when the phone is closed? Open mine is extremely tight, closed there's quite a bit of play.
    That is how it was mines. Open was tight, closed was doing the Oreo. Now is tight all the time.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    call me crazy but the oreo doesnt bother me, AT ALL!
    Didn't help mine at all .
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    call me crazy but the oreo doesnt bother me, AT ALL!
    you CRAZY
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
    Did you put your 4 fingers as described? The first time I tried to apply pressure was on one side. It did not worked at all. As soon as I placed my 4 fingers (hard, but I managed) on each corner and slided VERY slow the slider 3 times, it become extremely tight.

I will make a video, to show how it is the new "improved" phone.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Made mine worse. Thanks.
    Video would be great...I can't quite picture what you're supposed to do...thanks!
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    Made mine worse. Thanks.
    Sorry to hear that. As linked in the first post. many users tried the method with success. Out of curiosity, did you "tweaked" your rails before or is the first time you attempt a fix?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    Made mine worse. Thanks.
    You must have been doing it wrong.

I tried it, first time it didn't do much, second time it helped but still became wobbly, and third time it feels very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Video would be great...I can't quite picture what you're supposed to do...thanks!
    Here's what to do:

- Hold your device on the palm of your left hand, facing up.

- With your right hand, place your thumb and ring finger on the bottom left and right corners, respectively (the gesture area, not the very corners of the frame).

- Place your index and middle fingers on the top left and right corners, respectively (the corners of the screen area, not the frame).

- Press down firmly and equally on each corner, and slowly slide the phone out, and back in. Do this two more times.

Now check the seam between the two halves of the phone, slide it open and closed with one hand as you would during normal usage. If it still feels loose, try again after 15 minutes or so--you don't want to be putting too much pressure on the device too frequently.

Hope this helps guys, good luck!
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superkyol View Post
    You must have been doing it wrong.

I tried it, first time it didn't do much, second time it helped but still became wobbly, and third time it feels very tight.

Here's what to do:

- Hold your device on the palm of your left hand, facing up.

- With your right hand, place your thumb and ring finger on the bottom left and right corners, respectively (the gesture area, not the very corners of the frame).

- Place your index and middle fingers on the top left and right corners, respectively (the corners of the screen area, not the frame).

- Press down firmly and equally on each corner, and slowly slide the phone out, and back in. Do this two more times.

Now check the seam between the two halves of the phone, slide it open and closed with one hand as you would during normal usage. If it still feels loose, try again after 15 minutes or so--you don't want to be putting too much pressure on the device too frequently.

Hope this helps guys, good luck!
    I can't believe no one has snapped it off at the top once it's opened!

BTW...I tried it a couple of times and don't feel any difference.

Knowing me, it's nothing more than a big FAIL on the operator side of things.

bj
    im eating golden oreos right now.......there is a total of six people including me in my office that have the pre....they all twist some more then others.there is one person here who exchanged theirs and there is no twist. but,he has to deep scratches that wont come off on the mirror on the back of the phone.its like its to tight.your gonna some wiggle or play in the phone.theres no way of getting around it.if its tight when you get it,it will losen up........thats the norm.
    I believe this fix is for the 'wobble' but it won't do anything to fix the 'oreo twist.' If you take a gander at the slider mechanism, there is not much you could do to improve the oreo except bending the rail back to it's original position. There is room for improvement but a little oreo effect is expected from a slider phone.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    its worked for me, but hasn't at the same time. After using the slider normally a few more times the slight wiggle is back. Meh, no biggie.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    I believe this fix is for the 'wobble' but it won't do anything to fix the 'oreo twist.' If you take a gander at the slider mechanism, there is not much you could do to improve the oreo except bending the rail back to it's original position. There is room for improvement but a little oreo effect is expected from a slider phone.
    I just got my Pre today. Although I still have the 30 days guarantee in my pocket, I would like to know what you're referring to when you said "bend the rail." Is there a possibility to do so and the slider tight enough to avoid the wobble and "oreo effect?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
    Same here, I used a little pressure then i tried medium pressure. It did feel a bit better then i twisted it a bit the pop it came out again..
    No effect when I tried it a few times, but it's worth a try. YMMV. It's just not a very robust design on Palm's part. If the brackets that ride the rails were bigger on both sides or if there were 2 brackets per rail, there would be no oreo effect at all.