Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    werd
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    I just got my Pre today. Although I still have the 30 days guarantee in my pocket, I would like to know what you're referring to when you said "bend the rail." Is there a possibility to do so and the slider tight enough to avoid the wobble and "oreo effect?"
    If you take the backing off of the device and remove the battery (make sure the device has been properly shut off first, of course), carefully slide it open and notice the track and the little metal bits that run along it.

I think the best way to fix the oreo effect is build the thickness up in the track where the actual sliding mechanism sits when the device is closed. I added a little bit of superglue to the side of the track and it has worked pretty well so far, I'll try adding more later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    I just got my Pre today. Although I still have the 30 days guarantee in my pocket, I would like to know what you're referring to when you said "bend the rail." Is there a possibility to do so and the slider tight enough to avoid the wobble and "oreo effect?"
    yes it is possible - has been posted here. I can't remember the thread title though. But I wouldn't mess with it if the oreo twist is less than a millimeter.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Doesn't work, it's all in your head...
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I'm a bit confused with this technique. How am I supposed to position my fingers on the edges?

I've tried positioning my fingers like so:
    1: Index Finger
    2: Middle Finger
    3: Thumb
    4: Finger between middle & pinky

1 2

3 4

I've tried it using this method, and it doesn't feel different for me at all after holding down the corners and sliding it up slowly 1-2x. Still feeling the wobble.
    Just tried this. It does indeed work. Interesting and disturbing at the same time.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    didn't work for me
    Didn't help my bit of a wiggle either...nothing major...but this is NOT a good fix, and I will not try again as it could break the phone.
    Make sure you are doing with your case off, especially with the innocase.
    I likey take apart thingies....
    doesnt work....and if it did, you will end up screwing it up even more
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    From what I've figured out, the oreo wobble happens when the phone screen is loose enough to have the top left hand corner come far enough away from the body that it misses the "catch". If you press that corner to the body firmly, it doesn't oreo left/right.

I removed the battery and bent the rails (not the tab) in such a way that the phone pulls the top portion of the slider closer to the body. The corner now hits the "catch" when I attempt to oreo it to the right, and stays firm. most people here are saying the metal rails should add thickness so the screen gets pulled closer to the body - but i've found that i've had to push the rails away from the body and bend them towards the screen, in order to adjust the screen/slider assembly's angle against the body. As long as the top corners ate flush at rest with no play, there is no oreo effect. So in that sense, the rails have to "push", as well as tilt the slider - because at rest, where the tabs rest on the railing, is below the center of the phone. If that area pulls the screen, it ends up lifting the top of the slider away (like a see-saw) from the body (and over the catch), so it'll oreo even worse.

The oreo is gone and has been for the past 3 weeks. sweet.
    Last edited by kertong; 09/09/2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Best thing to do is take it back if you are in the 30 day window. Ask to speak with a manager or assistant manager instead of dealing with an associate. They will try and tell you no. I took mine back today and got an updated version with the silver button, no oreo effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by kertong View Post
    From what I've figured out, the oreo wobble happens when the phone screen is loose enough to have the top left hand corner come far enough away from the body that it misses the "catch". If you press that corner to the body firmly, it doesn't oreo left/right.

I removed the battery and bent the rails (not the tab) in such a way that the phone pulls the top portion of the slider closer to the body. The corner now hits the "catch" when I attempt to oreo it to the right, and stays firm. most people here are saying the metal rails should add thickness so the screen gets pulled closer to the body - but i've found that i've had to push the rails away from the body and bend them towards the screen, in order to adjust the screen/slider assembly's angle against the body. As long as the top corners ate flush at rest with no play, there is no oreo effect. So in that sense, the rails have to "push", as well as tilt the slider - because at rest, where the tabs rest on the railing, is below the center of the phone. If that area pulls the screen, it ends up lifting the top of the slider away (like a see-saw) from the body (and over the catch), so it'll oreo even worse.

The oreo is gone and has been for the past 3 weeks. sweet.
    I see exactly what you are talking about with pushing the screen together with the body and the oreo goes away. I'm a little confused when you say "but i've found that i've had to push the rails away from the body and bend them towards the screen". So with the battery off and the back facing you, do you mean bend the rails towards you? Do you have a video of how you did this? What did you use to bend rails towards you?
    Mine's about 3 times worse after doing this. I used to have a little bit of Oreo... now I have a lot. And no, I'm not stupid and I was careful while doing this. Oh well.
    I posted a guaranteed fix, with pictures, in another thread on here, here's the link
    Oreo Fix
    The wheels are always turning with you guys!
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    @tranh2:

With the screen facing away from you, the back open, and battery out, the instinct is to pull the rails towards you to pull the screen closer to the body. However, because the screen slider when closed works like a "see saw" (with the pivot point strangely being slightly above where the tabs hold the rail), you have to push the rail tabs away from you (so from the battery area, you'll be pushing down into the phone), to push the bottom part of the slider up (and therefore, the top part of the screen slider down into the body).

I used the tip of a small knife to slip in under the middle of the rail, then used a punch and a hammer on the bottom of the rail to push it in/down/away from you. careful not to overdo it and be very gentle. after that, the slider mechanism becomes slightly stiffer, but if you put pressure on the screen and open/close it about 20 times, it'll smooth out. And your oreo will be gone. be careful!
    Last edited by kertong; 09/14/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    You say to bend down the rails, the other guy to bend them up. Who do I listen, LOL.
    For now I will not touch anything because the sliding trick described in first post still holds really good on my phone.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I just did this on mine, and it made it worse, then the screen started to go wacky like someone was repeatedly pressing the screen and the q button. Then i heard a crunch and a scrape and the tiniest screw came out of the device...oops
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    This works really good if you are trying to sell the phone. Do the trick, OREO effect gone for two minutes, sell the phone and then 2 minutes later its right back to where you started.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast