Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    September 08, 2009
    It's that time again. Apple has distributed electronic invites to notify all the cool kids that a major company event is being held in San Francisco tomorrow.

The invites feature Apple's trademark dancin', silhouetted iPod dudes/dudettes with the message "It's only rock and roll, but we like it."

In typical Apple camp fashion, oodles of speculation sprang forth from journalists, analysts and others immediately after the news of the event hit the Web, all with verifying levels of believability. For instance, some folks said Apple could finally be ready to release its Mac tablet, or "iPad" (not at all likely); Cupertino could be unveiling a new version of iTunes (likely); iPod touch devices could get 3.2 megapixel cameras (very likely); and Apple might finally decide to bring CEO Steve Jobs back on stage for the first time at a major event since his extended medical leave (almost guaranteed).

Regardless of the specifics, Apple's announcements will mostly be aimed at the company's own customers--though there could be a large portion of Palm's user base also affected by the announcement. Here's why.

Back when Palm first released the much-anticipated Pre smartphone in June, it shipped with a cool feature that allowed Pre owners to utilize Apple's popular iTunes digital juke box app to sync music files from their iTunes collections to the Pre.

iTunes identified the Pre as an iPod. And it actually worked great. In fact, I praised Palm and the application in my Pre review.

However, it didn't take Apple long at all to squash Palm's Pre iTunes-sync plans, and the company disabled the function in iTunes 8.2.1, which it released in mid-July, just a month after the Pre became available. Apple said it disabled the features because it does not support non-Apple hardware.

A week or so later, Palm responded by releasing webOS v1.1, which re-enabled media sync via iTunes. And that's where we're at today.

Shortly after Palm re-enabled iTunes media sync for the Pre that first time, I penned an open letter to Palm, explaining why the company would be better off creating its own standalone application for Pre media syncing, instead of depending on iTunes. In that article, I predicted that Apple will disable Pre sync in as many version of iTunes as it needs to before Palm gets the message. Tomorrow, around 1 PM EST, I'll find out whether or not I was correct--assuming Apple does indeed announce/release a new version of iTunes at its event.[quote]

Let's just hope Palm listened to my initial advice and started focusing its efforts on its own media sync app that integrates with iTunes, much like the one Research In Motion (RIM) released for BlackBerry users, called BlackBerry Media Sync. Otherwise, Pre users could be temporarily out of luck.

AS
    2008 CXO Media Inc.

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    They can't kill the Pre's media sync without affecting older iPods.
    I bet Palm is holding off on releasing 1.2 until they test it with the newest version of iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Thats my understanding of the situation aswell. Apple would be hurting its own user base by breaking sync now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I bet Palm is holding off on releasing 1.2 until they test it with the newest version of iTunes.
    +1
    Who cares!!!! Just use an older version of itunes. I've been using 8.x.x version, never had a problem to begin with, even after Apple first pulled the plug.

Although, I do like the fighting between Apple and Palm. Hilarious. (Where's the emoticon with the smiley eating popcorn? lol)
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Am I the only one who can't stand iTunes and would rather use something else anyway? Maybe I am missing the draw...
    if the pre can sync with itunes, why doesn't it have the star ratings? that was a big loss for me
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    Am I the only one who can't stand iTunes and would rather use something else anyway? Maybe I am missing the draw...
    Nah, you're not the only one but it's readily available. It's easy and quick and also syncs video. I'll just continue to use the older version of itunes until something better comes along.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    no you're not alone but the appeal of itunes is it's a simple and attractive user interface. same as it's phone and the competitors are generally ugly and have illogical or overly complicated layouts. Most people like a simple layout, with advanced stuff hidden. Personally i just wish palm would have made their own itunes clone, integrating the app catalong, amazon mp3 store, maybe audible, and with support for calenders, contacts video. of course and not a resource hog too. hell make it off of vlc. i think that's open source.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Actually, there was one last step that they can take and a last counter from Palm, I believe. There was one last bit of data different. Palm wanted one more pogo.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Palm should ship Songbird, plain and simple. Add Amazon music store to it and you are golden.

I am not sure Apple will cut off iTunes support. Palm will always be able to override it. The only thing apple can do is a firmware update to old iPods, but that would be a disaster waiting to happen.
    I'm not quite sure why people aren't getting the message: Palm has no intention whatsoever of developing and then supporting any desktop apps of any kind. And, we shouldn't want them to do so--we should be happy that they're focusing their limited resources on developing the Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Well I use it because I actually find it pretty easy and convenient. The downside I've discovered is that the file names end up in this goofy encoded state so you can't see what you've got.

But, I agree that if Apple did somehow manage to kill the sync with the Pre, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I've almost switched to Double Twist a couple of times anyway, and don't think it would cause me any pain at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You are not alone. Itunes crawls and lacks so many basic functions like a simple folder monitor. I find winamp much better for sync with the Pre.
    This is what I use, works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Although, I do like the fighting between Apple and Palm. Hilarious. (Where's the emoticon with the smiley eating popcorn? lol)
    I agree ... I think the whole thing is kind of amusing and enjoy seeing Apple getting "tweaked" by Palm. And I don't seeing it causing me any problem (there's other and possibly better options).
    This is only conformation from the current smart phone leader that they are more scared of palm than someone else like BB. Several have mentioned other programs. Instead of getting upset with Apple, why not switch to a different program and just import your media. I see now reason why Palm owners should support Apple if you really believe in and support Palm. Would you all not agree?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I think a Palm Employee helped develop iTunes or this is some bitter fight between the two companies, I mean thats like the zuneHD fighting with apple because there incompatible(im only assuming as I dont own a ZUne) so I believe the issue is DEEPER than palm wanting the Pre to media sync..to me it makes the Palm look incompetent why not make your own software not use a program that is created for a specific phone..thats like iphone stealing touchstone and the pre backing and demaning it charge that way I mean give me a break its plain to see these two companies are fighting over something more than a simple media program.
    Bipoler - Very true what you say. Even more reason to just stop supporting Apple and iToons. Let Palm and Apple have their tit-for-tat. Use a different program on your PC/MAC and show support for Palm. If not then just go get an iphone and become a troll.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    This is only conformation from the current smart phone leader that they are more scared of palm than someone else like BB.
    Scared? More accurately, Vindictive.

Apple isn't scared of anyone and it's no secret that they are absolute masters at holding a grudge. Their beef with WebOS has a lot more to do with the employees involved than the product itself. So "fear" is far from being the motivator in all this because for every user they lose to Palm they gain several more from other products.

I think a better tactic from Palm would be to actually evaluate the things Apple did to get where they are and copy it (moreso). Step one would be to bring back Palm Desktop. Toss in a desktop app store, PIM sync and media sync. That would make it easier for Pre users to ween themselves off of iTunes and make life a heck of a lot easier for those out there who want a more controlled ecosystem for how Palm products interact with their computer.

(BTW. The day iTunes/Pre sync dies is the day I quit using my Pre for media. I know there are alternatives but I live in the world of "set it and forget it" products where I plug in my pre, sync and leave. No 3rd party apps, no sticky residue.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast