1.    #1  
    My Pre dropped dead this morning. It runs out of power and normally will turn itself on after charging for another 10 minutes and not it is been an hour and the battery is still cold as a dead corpse and no matter what I do, I just can not revive this dead thing.

Is this the best Palm / Sprint can come up with? Seems I was so excited like a little boy jumping at Christmas gift the other day and now it this. I think for every business professional, cell phones are so important and I don't even remember my brother's number without turnning it on. This frustration is just beyond words.

I call Sprint and was told if I want to switch to Blackberry Tour I would have to pay full retail price. Whatever, I hope Palm learns how to make something that works. Once again I fall victim to those dishonest marketing hooplas again. Until then, and after an phone call to customer service, I am switching to BlackBerry for sure.
    This would seem to just be a battery issue. You got a defective battery. That's a pretty easy fix. And you could get a bad battery in a Blackberry too. No need to slam Palm over it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Did you try running the doctor on it? Or a diff battery as was mentioned?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Sound like you got a defective battery. I wouldn't write off the Pre just yet. Have them replace your battery with a GOOD ONE, maybe you'll enjoy your Pre then.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks... I just got caught in a middle of something important and have scratching my think hair all morning and am missing messages. This is just a very bad situation... I missed old crappy blackberry which now i realize is stable as a rock... I am going to get the battery replaced today and have my head cool off a little bit.. I have very bad temper issues and easily get irritated.
    If the battery goes all the way dead you need to use the AC charger to charge the phone. USB hooked up to the computer won't work because the Pre doesn't have the juice to start charging via the USB bus.

Just throwing that out there, in case you are trying to charge this method.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  7.    #7  
    That is exactly what I am doing today....

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If the battery goes all the way dead you need to use the AC charger to charge the phone. USB hooked up to the computer won't work because the Pre doesn't have the juice to start charging via the USB bus.

Just throwing that out there, in case you are trying to charge this method.
    hmmm.. last time I checked, nobody was complaining about bad batteries in blackberry forums.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This would seem to just be a battery issue. You got a defective battery. That's a pretty easy fix. And you could get a bad battery in a Blackberry too. No need to slam Palm over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by montush View Post
    hmmm.. last time I checked, nobody was complaining about bad batteries in blackberry forums.
    I had one replaced for my Pearl, it wouldn't hold a charge more than 45 minutes a year or so after I got the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by montush View Post
    Bad batteries I am not sure of, but bad battery life has been an issue for Tour users as well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdhx View Post
    Charging via AC or computer USB? Sorry you weren't clear.
    Thread title changed to match the help being given.

Since the Opening Post was a general complaint rant, it should have been moved to the General Complaint thread.

Thank to Elysian893, NickDG, awrnsmn, hnharrison24, and jbg7474 for your calm responses with the battery issue, this thread can stay in it's own thread.

So many other forums would have flamed an OP like that right back. You instead gave your help.

Way to go PreCentral!

If anyone is looking for help to address an issue, please search and add it to an existing thread. (There are many on battery issues.) If there is no thread, start a new one.

If you want to file a complaint with Palm, file it here:
    www.palm.com/us/company/feedback.html

If it is a general complaint please add it to the General Complaint thread.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/08/2009 at 01:40 PM.
  13.    #13  
    But wait - I had previously used up all juices of my battery, but somehow it managed to come back to life even I was charging with a USB port. This time I guess it somehow just wasn't enough. But then again I am a heavy user so guess the battery had reached it final chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdhx View Post
    Funny. I had run my battery down to nothing late last night and the Pre wouldn't come on until after about 5 minutes sitting on the Touchstone. So evidently, the inductive charging works even if there is no battery juice to activate the screen.

When the Pre woke up after a few minutes on the Touchstone, it had a large battery icon with a big lightning bolt and red low-charge indicator. That stayed on the display for another 15-20 minutes. After that, the Pre rebooted and when WebOS came back up the battery charge was at about 10%. The Pre continued to charge on the Touchstone as normal then.

Not sure what USB charging would have done (if anything), but Touchstone charging seems to work regardless of how dead the battery is.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    FYI, as long as we're talking about batteries, Li-ion batteries don't like to be discharged all the way. You'll get better life out of them if you look anxiously for a charger when you hear that 20% notification. Of course this isn't always possible, and I doubt it would shorten the battery life as significantly as what the OP seemed to experience, but in the future, it's best to keep it charged as much as possible. Continually taking it down to Pre shut-off will decrease the lifetime of the battery.

@montush: except for this one, there haven't been complaints of batteries dying unexpectedly either. Anytime you produce several hundred thousand of something, a few will not work right, even under the best quality control.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    FYI, as long as we're talking about batteries, Li-ion batteries don't like to be discharged all the way. You'll get better life out of them if you look anxiously for a charger when you hear that 20% notification. Of course this isn't always possible, and I doubt it would shorten the battery life as significantly as what the OP seemed to experience, but in the future, it's best to keep it charged as much as possible. Continually taking it down to Pre shut-off will decrease the lifetime of the battery.

@montush: except for this one, there haven't been complaints of batteries dying unexpectedly either. Anytime you produce several hundred thousand of something, a few will not work right, even under the best quality control.
    You're quite right about Li-ion batteries and how they perform. I was aware and it's not a habit of mine to drain my battery completely. In fact, I usually keep it topped off most of the day (via Touchstone).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    You're quite right about Li-ion batteries and how they perform. I was aware and it's not a habit of mine to drain my battery completely. In fact, I usually keep it topped off most of the day (via Touchstone).
    Yes he is correct about the batteries, but even when the Pre is showing 0% is still has a bit of a charge left for that reason, so the battery doesn't get damaged from draining too low.