Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Ok when I first got my pre I figured it would come loaded with aim, gchat and yahoo IM. But to my luck there was no such Yahoo IM! I have waited patiently without this small tid bit but I noticed something really strange! In the contacts portion of the pre if you tap edit and then on the type of IM account for a person you have the option for aim, gchat, ICQ, jabber and Yahoo IM?? why is it that you have an option to choose a yahoo IM account for a person but there is no built in Yahoo IM support? I dont understand this unless there is and I dont see it? but when I went to go add a new IM account I only had the choice for aim and gchat...
    I'm sure in the future there will be a yahoo app. These things take time, be patient. Palm is still working with devs for many things.
    You can enter in the information for a Yahoo account because that's a field that exists on Google Contacts, so it needed to exist on the Pre as well.
    Have patience, there will be IM apps coming soon.
    people use yahoo im?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    people use yahoo im?
    LQTM yes ppl do.. I have plenty IM friends and the ones on Yahoo IM i havent been able to talk to since launch time when I got my pre, I am being patient guys/gals but i just thought that was weird that it was a field to put in a yahoo IM contact but not being able to log into it on the messaging app.. im sure if not soon there will be someone who figures a workaround.. wait I recall a service that allowed you to chat with your yahoo IM buddies right from gchat i think it was.. maybe i should look into that, i will be back with more info...
    For now you can use Meebo Mobile or the Mundu Pre site.

http://pre.mundu.com
    meebo
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I would love to have a native yahoo messenger app. Until one is available, I am using Yahoo Messenger for SMS.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    My guess is this won't happen until either:

1) yahoo updates their messenger protocol to handle multiple clients logged in at the same time like jabber/google talk can. Yes, libpurple can already talk to these services, but they don't like multiple logins.

or

2) palm (or google) implements a jabber (or gtalk) server with gateways to msnm, y!m, icq, etc...
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    A bit of bitter sweetness below: patience is a virtue I guess really..

LinkedIn sync will allow you to access all of your LinkedIn contacts, including pulling down their job titles. Yahoo! support, meanwhile, will bring contacts and calendar synchronization, along with integrating Yahoo IM into the Messaging app alongside Google Talk, AIM, SMS, and MMS. Yahoo’s support also comes with push email.

This functionality will ship standard on the Pixi, but no word yet when the Pre will see it - perhaps it will come on the 1.2 webOS update, perhaps on a later build.
    Since the Pixie is running 1.2, it's very likely the Pre might see these features whenever Palm finally releases the update.
    Pixie was shown using Yahoo IM. Also, Palm has Yahoo IM code built into the Messenger application but it's incomplete. I would imagine Palm expects to finish building in Yahoo IM fairly soon (1.2 or, perhaps, an update after that).
    Correct me if I am wrong, but, the day I got my pre at luanch I quikly setup a yahoo I'm account. All the phones were getting really hot due to some yahoo error and about 2 days after luanch they patched the pre and took yahoo I'm out. Am I off my rocker? But this is what I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by boglwe View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but, the day I got my pre at luanch I quikly setup a yahoo I'm account. All the phones were getting really hot due to some yahoo error and about 2 days after luanch they patched the pre and took yahoo I'm out. Am I off my rocker? But this is what I remember.
    Um, no. The bug was for AOL (AIM). Yahoo IM has never been supported.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boglwe View Post
    I, too, got the Pre on launch day with 1.01 firmware. I almost immediately applied the 1.02 update that was released on or before 6/6 so I can't comment on whether or not Yahoo was in 1.01, but I can say with some confidence that it was not in 1.02. AIM was known for heat & battery drain back then as it still is today, could that in combination with setting up your Y! e-mail account be what you are recalling?

Whatever the case, I can't wait for Yahoo chat to be supported so that I can get IM spam all hours of the day and night. (: Makes me feel important to have my phone's notification going off all the time!
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boglwe

Um, no. The bug was for AOL (AIM). Yahoo IM has never been supported.

I do think he's right, I remember when I was in line getting my pre @ launch a lady had said she had trouble setting her Yahoo IM account up and i was let down when I got mine that had the preloaded update and it didnt have it. I think the phone on launch came with two versions, some ppl had to update and others came out of box w. the update (mine included) and I did not have yahoo IM but i think others that didnt come updated did??