Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Greetings fellow pre users,

I have purchased some USB to micro USB B cable from monoprice.com, and upon telling my wife this, who is a sprint employee, she scolded me.

she said that when the palm rep was at her store, the rep told her how the micro usb cable that palm uses is different than what you and I average Joe can get, and that it utilizes different voltage, as well as pin settings on the micro usb end is different. can anyone confirm this? I think that it's all marketing speak, and any generic, correct spec'd usb to micro usb will do, but my wife does not want me to take that chance. she thinks I could damage the pre. any thoughts?

and I'm glad to finally own a pre, got it 3 days ago!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Not sure if there is something specific. However I have found that not all micro-usb cables are built the same way. I have one that will allow me to connect and charge via my laptop - but it will not power the Touchstone I have.

I do use the Palm provided microusb cable for my Touchstone. But I have a non-palm USB cable and car charger that seem to work just fine. But I've only had my Pre for 2 weeks so we'll see if any "damage" occurs. I agree with you in that it may be marketing speak to buy the Palm branded cables.

Edit: Same goes with Mini USB cables. I have 1 or 2 that wont power up my external USB drives and others that do.
    Last edited by loupy; 09/08/2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: add info
    Usually the voltage on these chargers are not the problem...most are 5V or 5V-12V...BUT the amperage IS.
    The Palm Pre charger is a 1.0A charger, most micro USB are not. I know my Plantronics headset one is 180mA. Others, like generics, are around 850mA.

So Amps is usually the major difference.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Also, the USB standard (for when you are connected to a computer is) is 5V 500mA. It will charge slower, but it will charge.

But, I've got wall and car chargers that are all over the place 5V 550mA, 5V 850mA, etc. All seem to work fine, but I'm sticking with the supplied cable for the supplied power converter, and only plugging in micro USB cables into computers or sources known to only supply 500mA.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Usually the voltage on these chargers are not the problem...most are 5V or 5V-12V...BUT the amperage IS.
    The Palm Pre charger is a 1.0A charger, most micro USB are not. I know my Plantronics headset one is 180mA. Others, like generics, are around 850mA.

So Amps is usually the major difference.
    so how can I ensure that it is a 1.0 charger. The thing is, I bought 2 usb to micro usb b spec'ed cable, then I bought a cigarette charger for the car. for in home charging, I would still use the stock charger that came with the box.

while I am at work, I will use one of these USB cables from monoprice, and 1 cable, and the cig charger combo, while I am in the car. does anybody can confirm that this will potentially "damage" the pre?
    It won't damage the pre to use a lower amperage USB charger. It just won't charge as quickly.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Its true, there are quite a few threads out there about this. The long and short is that the palm's charger handles the ability for a faster charge as compared to a normal micro usb.

There is a difference between generic and micro usb chargers, personally I say just pay the extra 10$ and get a sprint/palm one and avoid any issues.
    I bought two touchstones and I'm powering the second one with the cable from my treo pro charger. Anyone see any problem with this?
    There definitely is a difference between the Palm Pre OEM chargers and all other chargers I've tried. If you plug your Pre into a generic charger while the phone is in standby mode (phone is on, but the screen is blank), the phone won't charge with a generic charger. You will need to hit the ON button (and enter PIN/password if so enabled) before the phone with charge. Then, it will charge just fine. With the OEM charger, there is no need to wake up the phone to charge. Just plug the phone in and it charges, regardless of what state the phone is in.

I suspect that Palm is doing something funny with the 2 Data lines (Data + and Data -) that the phone is looking for. If anyone has any more info on this, please post it here.
    I think I may have found the answer in this thread: htxxxtp://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-accessories/186516-usb-cable-mod-generic-usb-adapters-touchstone-dock.html

(remove xxx from the above link)
    notable:

> Fast Chargers indicate their ability to provide higher than normal current to the device by shorting the D+ and D- pins together.
    > I also wonder if the Palm OEM car charger has those two pins shorted out or not.
    > It must.
    > I just performed this hack. Before when I would plug in the Pre to charge, it would take a few seconds then start charging. Now it starts charging instantly. I am shaving down the cable now to try it with the Touchstone.
    Any charger that is rated for 6v 1000ms (1a) should work. If you have a choice just look for that spec. All cables I have will work. But there are several A/C chargers out there that will not or at lease not right. Reminds me of the older Palm headphone jacks. Had to get their adapter. Now any headphone will work but the chargers are Palm tweaked...lol..That's Palm for ya'
    Quote Originally Posted by woody88 View Post
    Greetings fellow pre users,

I have purchased some USB to micro USB B cable from monoprice.com, and upon telling my wife this, who is a sprint employee, she scolded me.

she said that when the palm rep was at her store, the rep told her how the micro usb cable that palm uses is different than what you and I average Joe can get, and that it utilizes different voltage, as well as pin settings on the micro usb end is different. can anyone confirm this? I think that it's all marketing speak, and any generic, correct spec'd usb to micro usb will do, but my wife does not want me to take that chance. she thinks I could damage the pre. any thoughts?

and I'm glad to finally own a pre, got it 3 days ago!
    i found out that env2 charger works just fine. i went and bought one at target for 14 buck as opposed to the 20 some bucks for a pre one. i even shaved off a little plastic from the tip using a small file and made it fit in the touch stone. now i carry the original with me for when i want to hook up to my computer.
    I have no trouble with the micro-usb cables from monoprice.com. Certainly the palm-specific chargers make a big difference in charging speed, but the cables do not as long as they plug in correctly and make good contact.

As a computer engineer, if the cables are made to spec there'll be no difference. Some retractible cables can be made very thin and *might* have an issue with the higher current of palm's higher amp charger, but if the cable is normal thickness and plugs in ok, you're fine.