1. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    So I'm up for an upgrade with sprint...I got the treo 800 and I don't know if I should get the Treo Pro or the Pre. Has anyone here had both, and willing to give some advice as to which is the better choice. I haven't played with either yet, but my last 3 phones were Treo's and I'm thinking the Pro is the safe bet, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the Pre. Any advice?
    Treo Pro was fantastic until I tried the Pre. I would take a wait and see approach on Windows mobile. 6.5 comes out in Oct. However, nothing would make me go back to the Treo Pro, great though it is.
    The question can only be answered by you.

Do you run specific windows mobile applications that you cannot do without and whose functionality cannot be replicated on the Pre?

Other consideration is battery but if you are okay with the 800 than the Pre will be fine.

If the Pre can do what you need it to do than the Pro is going to pale in comparison.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I have owned both, had the Treo Pro before I got the Pre, and I have to say I can't imaging going back to the Treo Pro. Small screen, on that Windows Mobile device is not an option. I would reather get the HTC Touch Pro 2 if you really want to stick with Windows Mobile. I don't understand how people with smartphones like blackberry's and stuff can still deal with those tiny screens.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I had the Pro before the pre as well and I would not go back. However, I am a geek and can overlook some of the pre's initial short comings. The Pre is a 1st gen phone and there are still bug being shaken out.

So if you don't mind living on the bleeding edge then get the Pre, otherwise the Pro is a great alternative.
    they are completely and totally different devices, the question should be how are you even torn between the two????
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    they are completely and totally different devices, the question should be how are you even torn between the two????
    Add to that, there may be three totally different devices. We didn't read whether the prior versions were WinMo Treos or PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Treo Pro was fantastic until I tried the Pre. I would take a wait and see approach on Windows mobile. 6.5 comes out in Oct. However, nothing would make me go back to the Treo Pro, great though it is.
    I have tried WM6.5 when I installed it on my Diamond. I was not a big fan of it, in fact I reloaded the WM6.1 after a few weeks of using WM6.5.

Now to the Pre: Palm's WebOS is something special.
  9. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna go with the Pre, I was leaning towards it anyway cuz i'm not the biggest fan of windows mobile
    I loved my treo 800w. I personaly think it was the best windows palm phone to date (imo). The treo pro is a great phone but the lack of memory would be a killer to me. U start of with around 20 meg less than you did with 800w. I could not handle that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pun View Post
    So I'm up for an upgrade with sprint...I got the treo 800 and I don't know if I should get the Treo Pro or the Pre. .....
    The Pro is essentiall an incremental upgrade to the 800w. The Pre, on the other hand, is a completely different experience all together.

I'd say go for the Pre and try it out for 3 weeks. If it's not your 'flavor', swap it for the Treo Pro. I would *highly* recommend giving homebrew app installation a try while in your trial period. You will find that this will make a big difference in wanting to keep the Pre.
    I have had previous Treo's but not a Pro so I can't compare.

I love the Pre's big screen. I have really gotten good with the Pre keyboard.

And I have to admit that every morning is like Christmas. Each morning I check to see what great presents have been left under the Homebrew tree!

- Craig
    I have both and enjoyed a lot of the WinMo apps, but I definitely prefer the Pre. Part of the decision is what you use for phone for to see if either or both meet your needs. For me the screen was the deciding factor. The Pre had the basics that I had to have so I'm willing to wait for other stuff and the screen is AWESOME! Not to mention it's just a fun phone all around.
    Global Posts
    2,477 Global Posts
    I've had both...go with the Pre.