Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok question. So i'm thinking about homebrewing becausw I don't have the net and would love to tether.

I see ppl talking about putting the pre bacl to the way it was before updating the webos. Does that just mean uninstalling any installed homebrew apps and taking it our of dev mode???

Thanks
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    No, homebrew apps will be just fine with the updates. Just tweeks and patches need to be removed as discussed before in other threads
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    No, homebrew apps will be just fine with the updates. Just tweeks and patches need to be removed as discussed before in other threads
    Even relatively minor tweaks like multiple launcher pages??
    My Tether requires root to begin. That is something you shouldn't do unless you know what you are doing.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I've heard that that one is not a prblem with 1.2. That does not mean if what was leaked will not change.
  6.    #6  
    So I'd need to root my pre to tether? Ugh....

I have no clue what I'm doing with that so perhaps I'll just pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    So I'd need to root my pre to tether? Ugh....

I have no clue what I'm doing with that so perhaps I'll just pass.
    Yup. Tether requires root access because it changes the OS. It doesn't require you to do anything to the code, but any changes you make could potentially be an issue. That being said, though, WebOs doctor will fix just about anything you do short of dropping the phone in the toilet, out of an airplane, or Sumo smashed between to very large Japanese men.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    One more thing to keep in mind is that my tether so far does not work with 1.2
    You don't have to root your pre to teather, Preware has MyTeather in it and all you do is Downlaod and Instal My Teather using Preware and it will do everything for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    You don't have to root your pre to teather, Preware has MyTeather in it and all you do is Downlaod and Instal My Teather using Preware and it will do everything for you.
    <nasty throat clearing noise>

You need root to install this app, but after installing you shouldn't need to root or ssh in to do anything else to make this app work.
    This is directly from the My Tether thread. Unless I am very much mistaken, you need root access to install. My nearly bricked Pre and I can speak to that fact.
    Yeah, we should be a little careful here, cause the term "rooting" can be confusing. The real question I believe is whether an app modifies the basic WebOS to accomplish something. The huge majority of the homebrew apps do not and are totally safe for updates ... but a few do (and I believe the tether app *does*). These need to be handled more carefully because of what can happen on updates (usually just that they get wiped out, but possibly worse). Most of these are clearly marked in the apps "official forum thread" so you should check there if there's a question.
    I am unable to get to the "developer mode" on my handset. I have typed in the command as written, with and without the quotes. Any ideas on what the problem may be?
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    My Tether requires root to begin. That is something you shouldn't do unless you know what you are doing.
    Unless you donate and you get the non root verison of My Tether
    --Marvin
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Unless you donate and you get the non root verison of My Tether
    Cool. I stand corrected. Do you have any documentation to that fact?

Also, most who try to install it will use the free version, so it does help to point out that rooting your Pre (or gaining root access to the Linux based OS) is required.
    mytether does the package *and* program install via preware. Just install preware, find mytether in untilities section, and then click yes or continue at warning (i forget which), then reboot phone, and boom, mytether is installed NRR!!!! Try it! I just did it this morning! It is very sweet!
    Last edited by breakinghbts; 09/08/2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: to fix typo
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I donated and installed it , then uninstalled it on two phones this weekend. It works and uninstalls just fine. Just make sure you have a strong 3G signal before you run it the first time. After the OS update I'll probably install it again.
  17.    #18  
    Ok...this clears things up. ROOTING is only when the inside software is altered... Right?

Homebrewing is just making 3rd party apps avail, right. No inside software is alterrd or tweaked?

So I put my phone in dev mod, download that program and install it on my pc. Connect me pre via usb and load it? Then I can install all the homebrew apps and when I update nothing will be in danger? As long as I don't root anything?
    WebOSInstaller also has tweaks available. If you add the tweaks such as forced roaming, landscape emails, multiple launcher pages, etc you will have to uninstall those, but you shouldn't have to remove any of the homebrew apps such as DrPodder or Shoutcast.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Ok...this clears things up. ROOTING is only when the inside software is altered... Right?

Homebrewing is just making 3rd party apps avail, right. No inside software is alterrd or tweaked?

So I put my phone in dev mod, download that program and install it on my pc. Connect me pre via usb and load it? Then I can install all the homebrew apps and when I update nothing will be in danger? As long as I don't root anything?
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

Follow the instructions, it's pretty easy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast