Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    I agree with this, Palm put out a phone that was not ready, so they need to update this thing to make it compete with others before people move on to better things...Don't get me wrong, phone has a lot of potential, but they got lazy and were just money greedy...

And seriously, they released a new update for web updates? Who the hell cares about selecting text on a web page (i mean its cool), there are more important things missing that should have got more attention!
    1. I was told by a Palm employee that Palm wanted to wait until September to release the Pre, but it was Sprint who put pressure for an earlier release. So there was an agreement to release the phone earlier, and provide regular updates - which is what we have seen so far. So it has nothing to do with Palm's alleged greed.

2. Why do people always assume that the features and updates that come are "pointless" simply because they are not the ones that made THEIR top 10 list? Who the hell cares about being able to copy text on a web page? I do, for one.
    And seriously, they released a new update for web updates? Who the hell cares about selecting text on a web page (i mean its cool), there are more important things missing that should have got more attention!
    I vote for that. There have been about 20 instances that I've had to go to a computer to open up the page I was already on in the Pre's browser, just to copy text from it. So I'll raise my hand for this one.

Part of the game is eliminating the features that the iPhone has and the Pre doesn't.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I'm sure if we took a vote from all the users that use the palm pre, this would not be in the top 10, probably not even top 20 update fixes...
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    I am shocked to hear people say that the devs have done more for the Pre than Palm has. Umm, last i checked, Palm MADE the PRE. They also MADE it possible for the developers to do what they are doing. Do you believe the developers have added the hardware necessary to complete these homebrew apps? How new is the Pre? And people are talking like its the worst phone ever, when in fact, its probably the BEST phone ever, and all of you who own a pre and think otherwise, will be very sad when you get rid of it, and realize that you F'd up. The iphone took some time to have the features it does, and the same goes for the Pre. Lighten up.
    ... but they got lazy and were just money greedy...
    or they didn't want to go bankrupt and delivered a fresh new product to the tech world fully expecting to have to continually feed it updates for the first year to get it up to speed

your theory would only hold true if they left everyone hanging... and with the number of updates they've pushed so far, they haven't
    I'm sure if we took a vote from all the users that use the palm pre, this would not be in the top 10, probably not even top 20 update fixes...

Maybe so, maybe not - do a poll.
    I'd rather see copy and paste in a webpage than Video.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    It amazes me to no end how, people feel like Palm better do this and better do that. These so called fake updates did some behind the scenes fixes. Just because you cannot see them does not mean they are fake ***. If you were in an executive position you would know that you cannot just throw out any little updates to add minor functionality. Nobody wants to update their phone every 2 days. (Not to mention the time it takes to implement, develope and test these new add ons)
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    I agree with this, Palm put out a phone that was not ready, so they need to update this thing to make it compete with others before people move on to better things...Don't get me wrong, phone has a lot of potential, but they got lazy and were just money greedy...

so I agree with sentiment that there are lots of things I want palm to update, advance, add ect. But I dissagree entirely with your statement about browser updates pasting and so on.

I did truly "lol" when I read your opening though, because I thought about how both me and my wife have been using the pre as our primary phone for 3 months now, and it is absolutely "ready" to fulfill that role.

Moreover I have reduced my netbook use 3 fold, as the pre can take its place for most browsing, and I use my pc for any heavy hauling
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I think everybody neglects that Apple only does a significant feature release once a year, with a minor rollup in September and January that add small features. The fact that we've already received two mid-level updates (I'd be tempted to call 1.2 more than a mid-level, but let's go with it for now) is pretty damn impressive for just over three months - it took the iPhone this long just to get it's first feature update after launch.

Palm just launched a massive new platform, and really still hasn't finished launching yet. Yet they are already advancing faster than the incumbent. So sit back and enjoy the ride.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

What you say is a slanted but I agree.

I read in a couple of articles (try to Google them) that Palm pushed the phone out 6 months ahead of their normal development schedule. Because of this, I expect the phone to pretty good around January. Another six months (twelve months after the actual release or six months after Palm's normal development schedule) and the phone should be the phone the media reported it would be.

Palm definitely pushed the phone to market early and for very good reasons (reasons that are allowing the company to make some money and stay afloat). I agree that becuase it was rushed out the door, the phone is a work in progress (and they owe us these updates). This means that the updates are not necessarily a sign of a company trying to better their product but a company trying to get their prodcut to where it should be/ where they hoped it would be.

Having solved the Outlook issues they promised to solve, in the amount of time they specified (nice work delivering Palm), Palm can devote their resources to the App Cat and polishing the OS' features and functionaltiy. Looking ahead, it appears that Palm was banking on upcoming standards like OpenGL, Flash lite and others becoming available and apdopted. These could provide software developers ability to code 3D graphics (I think) and other content to users that rivals other phones.

Hope that all makes sense.
    The updates may have been fake to you, but real to me. The Active Sync update was HUGE for me. Getting work e-mail has been a godsend on the Pre.

The fact that Palm identified and fixed the problem so quick makes me happy. The old Palm was not like this at all. I had a 700p I know.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Palm probably includes features soon after they pass testing. Some features take longer to code/ test...

I'm not sure how Palm decides to assign resources to develop features but I'd bet that Palm uses the usage information they collect from Pre users. They probably assign more resources to features that many Pre users use often.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    I am shocked to hear people say that the devs have done more for the Pre than Palm has. Umm, last i checked, Palm MADE the PRE. They also MADE it possible for the developers to do what they are doing. Do you believe the developers have added the hardware necessary to complete these homebrew apps? How new is the Pre? And people are talking like its the worst phone ever, when in fact, its probably the BEST phone ever, and all of you who own a pre and think otherwise, will be very sad when you get rid of it, and realize that you F'd up. The iphone took some time to have the features it does, and the same goes for the Pre. Lighten up.
    Agreed. The talented guys and gals that develop homebrew and patches work on the features they want while the guys and gals that develop for Palm develop what they are told to by their managers. With so much for Palm developers to do, their efforts have to be prioritized and the sexiest features aren't always the top priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    agreed, the level of ignorance and stupidity on this board is astonishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
    Agreed. The talented guys and gals that develop homebrew and patches work on the features they want while the guys and gals that develop for Palm develop what they are told to by their managers. With so much for Palm developers to do, their efforts have to be prioritized and the sexiest features aren't always the top priorities.
    Not to mention the sexiest features are not always the most needed features for the complete user base as well. As much as we like to think that our small sample of users here represents the majority of Palm's userbase, we do not.
  17. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Whatever happened to patience?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'd rather see copy and paste in a webpage than Video.
    I am 100% with you on this. Anyone who wants video over true copy & paste, does not IMO have the best for palm in mind. True copy&paste is so important. Lack of has caused me quite a few headaches in my usuage of the PREs browser.

What exactly are your more important things? SPAM text message forwarding? More 3D Games support to amuse your inner child? Video so that you can record yourself playing world of warcraft?

Email search and copy/paste were my top 2 feature requests, and Palm gave them to us in 1.2 (or coming soon for those who have not installed the leak).

The primary thing they need to focus on now imo is PERFORMANCE - this thing is just too damn slow at every turn.
    Video (and audio recording) is important for the masses. Perception matters. It shouldn't be an either video recording or full cut n paste scenario.

But i can also say that Palm is full of apple guys and they know (hopefully) that slow and steady wins the race. Some of these updates will be marketing driven. Apple owns in that with their big party announcements. If you got video recording on the shelf, you wait for the holiday peak season to announce it and hopefully get a nice sales push. Gotta have something nice for 1.3. 1.4 could tie in with a verizon launch.

That said, i need to mention again..this is palm and their marketing blows. So be careful assuming.

Anyways, to carry it further on marketing driven updates and say they did add these features and got minor upgrades going...what would Palm have left to make a big 2.0 splash next year? You can imagine Apple is looking at multitasking & notifications.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast