1.    #1  
    Ok, sorry for the lack of screenshots. Have to head out soon. Hopefully this helps and if I can help with problems I'll be back later to check the thread.

(This is all assuming you're running windows)

First thing: Get a new gmail account (I'll explain why later). Write down your login info and password and LOG OUT.

Once your gmail acct is set up, google "PSI Chat" and the first result should be psi-im dot org (can't post links in here)

There's a box near the top right where you click to download. It'll take you to a SoundForge page, from there a box will pop up asking you to save (or run) the exe file. Save it or run it. If you save it, just save it somewhere you can find it easy.

Run the setup program. Go through the motions of installing it. When it asks you to set up an a new Jabber account (or use an existing account), use the username/password from your gmail account that you set up in step 1.

If all goes well, you should see an IM client that looks like any other, your gmail name is at the top now and you won't have any contacts (yet). At the bottom it'll tell you if you are online or offline. If you're offline, click on it and set yourself to online.

The next step is to set up a transport. I'm not very technical, but basically my understanding is that there are open servers within the jabber community that allow MSN messenger users to "transport" messages back and from the main MSN server.

Ok. Click General and then select "Service Discover" (gives me an error - something about gtalk, I just click ok).

Basically, you're looking for a server that supports MSN (it'll have the colored butterfly in the MSN column).

I use headcounter.org

So just paste in headcounter.org and hit enter.

(There's an online list of jabber servers, but I can't paste links. If you google "Jabber/XMPP Server List" you'll find the main one. Don't use chrome.pl - it gave me nothing but errors.)

You'll see a bunch of transports for other services like ICQ etc (this server does not support yahoo, but others do)

Look for MSN Transport and right mouse click on it then select Register.

This is where you put in your login info for your msn messenger account.

If your login was typed in right, it'll give you an "ok" type message. Click OK or close or whatever it takes to get back to the PSI client.

You'll see a little blinking notification at the bottom. The message might be in french, but its basically asking you to give authorization for this server to relay your msn messenger. Click yes or ok.

It mayt take a couple minutes, but suddenly you should get a bunch of blinking little triangles next to all your MSN contacts. Basically the jabber server is asking you to add each client as a "transport". If you're like me and use your hotmail account and have a bazillion contacts, it might be easier to log out of PSI, log into gmail and then authorize or deny the ones you want. I had 200 people and only really chat with maybe 10 people online and it was easier this way to delete the ones I didn't want.

Once you've added the contacts you want, LOG OUT OF GMAIL.

Ok, maybe sure you're logged out of gmail and PSI. Go to your pre and in the messaging area add a Gtalk account. use your gmail username/password that you picked earlier.

Set yourself online...within a minute you should see your contacts.

It's not elegant, but it's worked fantastic for me for over a day now.

Message me here or PM me if you can't get it to work or want me to walk you through it.

I hope this works for you. It works for me and until a proper client comes out, I'm happy to have this.

PS - the reason for the new Gmail account is that if you already have a gmail account, it'll create all kinds of headaches if you use things like gmail notifier or login to gmail online. Both will kick you off messenger.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    That's incredibly appreciated.

BUT. That's wicked ridiculous. Why does meebo.com work flawlessly on the iphone's browser and is a failure on the pre? Like everything else. sorry... transferring from the iphone to the pre has been an absolute nightmare.
  3.    #3  
    Indeed it's ridiculous. But in ithe interim, I still need to stay in contact with my msn contacts and really have no desire to use a browser based IM client. For me, this works for now.

Glad Palm doesn't make shoes. I'd be waiting for the upgrade where they punch holes in the leather so I can lace them up.
    Don't worry I'm sure they'll be some native IM apps soon. When i first had my iphone i had to wait months for an IM app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formeriphoneuser View Post
    Don't worry I'm sure they'll be some native IM apps soon. When i first had my iphone i had to wait months for an IM app.
    I don't really want to keep waiting for something that should have been there since day one. People want this now.
    does this work for yahoo also??
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by loopybandnerd View Post
    does this work for yahoo also??
    It should. You'll need a different transport server than headcounter.org as it doesn't support it. I'm sure I've seen yahoo on the other servers though (search jabber transports servers yahoo)

Edit: I just tried and used server jabber dot planetteamspeak dot com as a server. I added a couple yahoo contacts no problem.
    Last edited by rnorris; 09/07/2009 at 08:24 PM.
    O wow way cool!

Thanks!!!!
    a bunch of us have already tried this in the past, and come to the conclusion google blocked it for people who didn't already have it setup. how long ago did you set this up, rnorris?
    thanks... it look cool, may get it tested tomorrow
    Ok, i've downloaded it and it's now asking me to add an account. But in order to do that, it needs to know the name of the server i wish to register with. What do i use?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    it worked thank you very much
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by loopybandnerd View Post
    Ok, i've downloaded it and it's now asking me to add an account. But in order to do that, it needs to know the name of the server i wish to register with. What do i use?
    When you add your account, just put in the gmail username and then the gmail password.

I'm guessing thats the stage you are at.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    a bunch of us have already tried this in the past, and come to the conclusion google blocked it for people who didn't already have it setup. how long ago did you set this up, rnorris?
    Set up my account 4 days ago. Set up my friends today.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    do i have to be logged on to psi all the time on my pc for me to be able to chat or i just log in to gtalk on the pre.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jurias View Post
    do i have to be logged on to psi all the time on my pc for me to be able to chat or i just log in to gtalk on the pre.
    No. Once you get it working, you can uninstall PSI and you don't need to use it again.

Make sure PSI and google talk are both offline when you log into gtalk with your pre. Otherwise it might not load your contacts.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I have been using this for a while, not for MSN or yahoo- but for AIM. We all know there is a problem with the AIM client that causes ridiculous battery drain. So, my gtalk account can see my AIM contacts via a transport set up in PSI. On my Pre, I am only logged into gtalk but I can see and communicate with my contacts from AIM, Gtalk, and any other service I set up a transport for. Battery life is significantly better than the native AIM client.
    I tried to set this up before but was never able to send any messages to my contacts - I could only see their online status.

I'm not sure what you did differently than me but I'm tempted to give it another shot.

Do you see people's MSN status and display pictures with this method? Are you able to set your own display pic?
    For the 4th time guys... Don't waste your time doing this.. It takes a while to set it up only to realize that google doesn't support the MSN transport anymore. Yes, it did work at one point, then stopped working and every now and then works for a bit then goes away. I've spent a whole Sunday trying to make it work and I got all my MSN contacts on my Pre and on the Message app they will show as offline. It messes up my contacts too, because then I had to delete everything in my contacts to clean it up.

Stay away from this. It just doesn't work.