1.    #1  
    I have read a lot of posts about how crazy long it is taking some people to boot up their pre, and others saying it takes no time at all. I thought it would be interesting to see if we would get a list going of people timing their startups (from pressing the power button, to getting the home screen). It would also be nice for people to list how many, if any, homebrew apps they have installed, so we can see how that affects the boot up.

2:05
    26 homebrew apps, with several tweaks such as roam only and adding panels.
    Yawn, too lazy to actually time the reboot. Guess that's a sign that it takes too long. Two minutes sounds about right, don't forget the 30-45 second shutdown too.

Can we get these guys working on it?

h ttp://lwn.net/Articles/299483/
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    2:25 considerably longer than my XP laptop.
    Mine took exactly 1 minute and 43 seconds.
    I just got it saturday and only have 11 official apps from the catalog.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I have read that the upcoming 1.2 update may have reduced the boot up time
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    2:20, bought on day 1, 20 or so homebrew apps installed, no tweaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I sure hope so that would be much appreciated.
    purchased 6/16
    28 homebrew
    2m 4.3691s with a full battery
    Purchased 7/21/09
    20 + homebrew
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 09/07/2009 at 12:05 PM.
    mine takes - way to damn long, makes me boil with anger
    Ya boot up or re boot time is aweful.

mine is:

2:32, I have I think its 5 Tweaks, 4 app stores apps, and 10 homebrews

I also have I think its 2 added services.. Package Manager and OpenSSH (SFTP), Im betting those add to boot times as well
    I did a few tests. In each test, I timed from keypress to homescreen/launcher availability.

Restart (Orange + Sym + R): 3min 5sec

Power Off: 30sec
    Power On: 2min 33sec

Turn on Airplane Mode (via launcher menu): 3sec
    Turn off Airplane Mode and acquire signal (via launcher menu): 3sec

For a system restart, it appears that the time required for reboot is the combined times of powering off and powering on the device. Evidently, the Pre does some housekeeping (30sec) prior to shutting down and that applies whether you shut down via the power button or doing a restart via the keyboard sequence.

I have 47 third-party applications installed (both App Catalog and Homebrew) above and beyond the built-in applications in ROM. No tweaks or hacks installed. Running WebOS 1.1. Purchased Pre on opening day June 6th.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    3:05.. Filecoaster, Preware, 7 App Store apps, 6 Homebrew apps, Internalz, Flashlight, and 5 tweaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I have 1.2 installed and it's as slow as ever booting, if not slower...
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    I have read a lot of posts about how crazy long it is taking some people to boot up their pre, and others saying it takes no time at all. I thought it would be interesting to see if we would get a list going of people timing their startups (from pressing the power button, to getting the home screen). It would also be nice for people to list how many, if any, homebrew apps they have installed, so we can see how that affects the boot up.

2:05
    26 homebrew apps, with several tweaks such as roam only and adding panels.
    I know this is off topic..but 26 homebrew apps?? I cant get anything close to that. I have 12 and I had to delete alot of stuff to get the right mix for them to all fit. I always get the no install space available msg.

..and my phone took 2:39 to boot up the last time i did it. Its varies however, from around 2:15 to a little over 3 mins. I have no tweaks or anything like that, just 12 homebrew and 17 official apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    I know this is off topic..but 26 homebrew apps?? I cant get anything close to that. I have 12 and I had to delete alot of stuff to get the right mix for them to all fit. I always get the no install space available msg.

..and my phone took 2:39 to boot up the last time i did it. Its varies however, from around 2:15 to a little over 3 mins. I have no tweaks or anything like that, just 12 homebrew and 17 official apps.
    Use Preware instead of FileCoaster to install your Homebrew apps and you can install as many as you like.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Use Preware instead of FileCoaster to install your Homebrew apps and you can install as many as you like.
    Weird, I have only used filecoaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Weird, I have only used filecoaster.
    I don't know how much space is available in the /var partition, but whatever it is I'm sure the number of apps that can be installed to that space depends on the size of the apps and how they manage space for their configurations, data, etc.

I hit the limit with FileCoaster after about 35 apps. Since then, I uninstalled all my homebrew apps and re-installed them with Preware. I now have 47 apps installed and see no limits. I have over 5GB of media storage space available (although I doubt that makes a difference in this scenario).
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I don't know how much space is available in the /var partition, but whatever it is I'm sure the number of apps that can be installed to that space depends on the size of the apps and how they manage space for their configurations, data, etc.

I hit the limit with FileCoaster after about 35 apps. Since then, I uninstalled all my homebrew apps and re-installed them with Preware. I now have 47 apps installed and see no limits. I have over 5GB of media storage space available (although I doubt that makes a difference in this scenario).
    Yeah, a lot of the apps I have are very small, like the radar app such.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    does it really matter? all i can say is it boots up faster than my BB 8900 for work.