1.    #1  
    OK so I know this is speculation, but how about an intelligent guess-timation. At about when do you think we might see ALL of the features that are discussed here. Video, speed optimized, better Calendar performance, etc...... Most people used to say by Christmas. It's now Labor Day; what do you guys think, I'm starting to think it'll be way beyond the Christmas point.

-TS

PS Happy Labor Day
    I think you should use more descriptive thread titles
  3.    #3  
    Maybe I should consult you before I post to see if you like my title or not. I'm sure the moderators can change it -
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I also think you should use more descriptive thread titles.

Try "When do you think we'll get ALL the features we want?"
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Now let's go back to the discussion. I think we won't get them all by Christmas but we will get a lot.
    Ummm the 42nd of Palmtober??

Originally I didn't think it would take long but its now september and we really haven't gotten anything substantial that I, for one, have been hoping for. I thought video recording was due by the end of the summer? And if the leaked version of 1.2 is final, we'll be waiting even longer for what we want.
  8.    #8  
    I wouldn't have thought doing the programming needed for some of these features/fixes would take as long as it has so far, of course I'm not a programmer. Based on the history - Pre out for 3 months as of yesterday - I don't think 3 months from now we're gonna have a phone up to where we all think it should be, I'm thinking this is gonna go on to the Spring and and maybe beyond. As I said in my post title - ah hem (yeh ok ok I know more descriptive next time) - I really am interested in hearing what you guys think coz most of the time you're pretty right on with this stuff.

-TS
    If I were Palm, I'd want to have another update release before the HTC Hero is released with some of the fixes and additions, of course they can't get them all done by then (or maybe they can) but I would want to address some of the request just before the Hero hit stores
  10.    #10  
    Just for the record, it CAN'T really take this long to program this stuff right??? Can it???? They must be involved in so many other things. Any you programmers think with a team of even like 4 or 5 guys working 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, that they couldn't just knock this thing out in a couple of months?? I gotta believe they're either under-staffed or over loaded with other projects?? Unless things are so bad at Palm - it's only one poor schlep workin 16 hours days drinking red bulls by the case??
    Quote Originally Posted by landford View Post
    Just for the record, it CAN'T really take this long to program this stuff right??? Can it???? They must be involved in so many other things. Any you programmers think with a team of even like 4 or 5 guys working 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, that they couldn't just knock this thing out in a couple of months?? I gotta believe they're either under-staffed or over loaded with other projects?? Unless things are so bad at Palm - it's only one poor schlep workin 16 hours days drinking red bulls by the case??
    there are only about 1,000 employees at palm.
    between the ESO coming out, keeping itunes working, app catalog coming out, marketing, legal docs, customers service dept., etc.......

1,000 people isn't a lot.
    they might not have even 5 guys to spare
    and it can take that long to program
    if you think you can do better go ahead i will be waiting
  13.    #13  
    No never said I could. But......it must be the Palm programmers are all tied up in other projects and the reason I say that is - a hand full of homebrew guys can drum up 150+ apps in 2 months. And most of these are just a one man team working out of their kitchens. It would seem to me the Pre team at Palm should be able to knock this out in a few months. Doesn't seem logical to me that they couldn't get this all done by Oct-ish? Unless like someone here said they have a VERY small crew working on this.
    Maybe I should consult you before I post to see if you like my title or not. I'm sure the moderators can change it -
    I did correct the title to match the content.

As to the answer to your question. Test questions with the words "ALL" or "NEVER" are typically trick questions. The answer here has to be never.

Some of the features we have discussed have included micro SD card slots, mini-HDMI ports, a larger display, thinner case, and other case colors than black.

I really don't think any upcoming webOS upgrades for the Pre will address any of those features that we have been discussing.

In addition, I bet close to a thousand software feature additions have been discussed. Some seem that they will actually be detrimental. So even if they can do all of the software features we have discussed, I hope they don't.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/08/2009 at 03:17 PM.
    I seem to remember hearing that Apple is making some big thing about October. If that was the case Palm may be waiting till then to rain on their parade so some of the attention is on Palm.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Thursday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I seem to remember hearing that Apple is making some big thing about October. If that was the case Palm may be waiting till then to rain on their parade so some of the attention is on Palm.
    You really think that? That Apple parade hasn't shown any signs of slowing down yet. Me thinks Palm needs to worry about their own parade instead.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    No never said I could. But......it must be the Palm programmers are all tied up in other projects and the reason I say that is - a hand full of homebrew guys can drum up 150+ apps in 2 months. And most of these are just a one man team working out of their kitchens. It would seem to me the Pre team at Palm should be able to knock this out in a few months. Doesn't seem logical to me that they couldn't get this all done by Oct-ish? Unless like someone here said they have a VERY small crew working on this.
    It takes a lot more time than you think. On top of the coding, there is testing (which usually leads to more coding, debugging, fixes, etc). Then QA. Then they need to document stuff in the SDK that has changed or is new. This takes a massive amount of time. If beta periods are needed for 3rd party testing, add even more time.

For a rough timeline, consider that Apple spaces out their major OS updates by a year. Out of that cycle, there's usually a 3-4 month beta period for developers leading up to the final release. Within that year, there are typically 4-6 minor updates.

The homebrew guys are doing good work, but I doubt they test/debug/QA at the same level a major OS developer is doing (if they had to, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun).