Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What's going on?

I even have ZERO cards sometimes and it gives me this error.

What's the deal, its been like this for a month now
    do a soft reset. orange+sym+R . If that does not cure it then do a hard reset.
  3.    #3  
    What's dif between soft and hard reset?
    try clearing your cache first then a soft reset
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    What's dif between soft and hard reset?
    hard reset is physically removing the battery so absolutely no power is going into the device
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    try clearing your cache first then a soft reset
    For us new Pre owner's can you explain how to clear the cache?
  7.    #7  
    Aha, warblade, I reset it with off button and repower it most of time, and next day I get the same error over again.

So damn frustrating
  8.    #8  
    Clearing cache is in preferences in web
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepopscience View Post
    For us new Pre owner's can you explain how to clear the cache?
    web app
    preferences
    clear cache
    it might be an app you are using. some apps i don't know which can cause memory leaks try not using a certain app you use a lot and rotate and repeat till you find that app. try updating any homebrew apps if you have any first
    Aha, warblade, I reset it with off button and repower it most of time, and next day I get the same error over again.

So damn frustrating
    are you running any Homebrew apps?
  12.    #12  
    Yeah tons of homebrews
    Yeah tons of homebrews
    one of them might have a memory leak
    eliminate the ones you loaded at about the time all this started and then maybe reload till you fine the problem. may work
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I too had the "too many cards open" message today, and I had only just started to look something up on the web.

I haven't done anything to my Pre except download a few apps from the Pre catalogue.

Please don't hate me if the two apps that I mention happen to be one of yours, but I just noticed it a few hours after installing Tip'em and Mileage Monitor.

I am also on the Bell network here in Canada, so it's not likely that we have a carrier issue.

Perhaps you have the same two apps?

When did you start to notice your problems?

I haven't uninstalled anything yet as I am waiting to see if I get the same error message or not?

Don't know if any of this helps, but there you go.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I had never seen this untll I read this post, then it happen to me also. I have had Mileage Monitor for three or four weeks but i just DL'ed Tip'em. Maybe it has something to do with Tip'em?
  17.    #17  
    don't have tipem or mileage.

Started happening after 1.1
    I had the same problem a few days ago. I had three apps running...camera, photos, and messaging. In my messaging app, i had multiple chats going on...one that had a video sent to me within the text..and another with two picture messages. I noticed that when I opened the messaging app after receiving these files it would take a long time (i guess from loading all the junk within the text chats)...but if I tried opening the calendar...it would give that ridiculous too many cards open error...even after closing all the apps...it would do it....I did notice though..that after maybe 30 seconds...i was able to open apps again...without having to do a soft or hard reset....Definitely a bug or memory leak problem within the apps/pre. I don't understand why the pre just can't use its 8gb of internal memory as a temporary ram/cache area if the main memory is filling up.
    What's going on?

I even have ZERO cards sometimes and it gives me this error.

What's the deal, its been like this for a month now
    two more suggestions (actually three):

1) this first one I think you have essentially done already: reboot the phone periodically - I do this by first holding down the power button until the Palm logo appears. This starts a shutdown of Linux. Once the Palm logo dissapears and the screen is dark, then the phone is off. Next you press and hold the power button again until the Palm logo appears again. Now your phone is booting up. Once your background image shows, you know that the phone has been fully rebooted. While you've essentially done these steps already, consider them a "prerequisite" or initial step to clear out problems so that you can "observe" behavior in the steps that I list next:

2) If you know how to put your pre in dev mode (what some here call "rooting"), or you have rooted your Pre and can ssh into it, then your next step will be to run a program like "top", then press the capital M key while top is running. The top program shows a list of processes and the screen periodically refreshes every few seconds. Pressing the M key causes top to show a list of processes sorted by memory usage. Observe how much memory some of your top processes are using.

3) Your next step is to experiment a bit. My assertion is that the Pre's memory management in its JVM is not the best (yet). Before opening any cards after the reboot, make a note of how much memory is free. With a freshly rebooted Pre, you should be able to open about 12 cards before getting the "too many cards" message. Next close out all the cards and note that the amount of free memory is less than after the fresh reboot. (Normally this would be OK for the memory to not free up immediately. The thinking is that if a running app previously needed memory, it might need it again so keeping it reserved for a bit would not necessarily be a bad thing. The trouble is that the memory should be freed shortly after closing an app, but the JVM periodically reschedules when it will reclaim the memory. I've never been patient enough to wait long enough to observe if this actually does happen. My suspicion/observation is that if you limit yourself to only opening 3 or 4 cards that the problem you have been seeing does not manifest itself. (You can occasionally go up to 5 or 6 cards, but if you start seeing slowdowns, you are pushing it too much.) I don't believe the JVM recovers well from this. I could be wrong - I'm just telling you what works for me.

This appears to be an area that Palm has worked on in WebOS 1.2. I didn't get 1.2 so I'm just going by what others have said. They say that things like the sluggishness in the phone app have improved. That sluggishness is another manifestation of this same problem. I predicted that this would be an area that Palm had to be working on in 1.2 and it appears from what I've read that this is indeed the case. My advice is to limit the number of cards you have open in the meantime, and hope for better behaviour once WebOS 1.2 is released.

PS: You don't have to do step 2 if you are not a "rooting" type of person. You can just do steps 1 and 3. Step 2 is only if you want to better understand the problem so that you can fine tune the steps you take to avoid it.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  20.    #20  
    bclancy, awesome post!

I am in dev mode.

Will moniter the apps now since I just rebooted, using option 3 of yours.

Thanks, and hopefully 1.2 solves this issue
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast