Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Funny that the pre is in the title, it was barely mentioned. Article is mostly about android and iphone...
    very interesting article, more about google and android than webos, but interesting read nonetheless. I hope there isn't an article just like that about webos 1 year from now. Let's hope palm learns from others mistakes.
    Sorry but many developers are not going to put serious effort into the Pre for the simple reason that their code is open to anyone that wants to root their device and steal it. Combine that with crappy hardware / OS access in the SDK and you end up with a lot of yawns.

Android has its own issues, none of them are as severe as Palm's misteps and many are addressed in the upcoming update. It also has a ways to go to catch Apple's but they are far ahead of Palm in many ways.

Google can afford to take their time and develop it at their leisure. Palm doesn't have much time. These missteps are going to be costly and could have been avoided.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I saw that article the other day, and the title couldn't be more off the mark. It's like they were simply trying to work Pre in somehow.
    If developers hate the Pre so much, then why does this article state the opposite? PCworld is a pretty reputable magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Combine that with crappy hardware / OS access in the SDK and you end up with a lot of yawns.
    The only thing that's a lot of yawns is your repetitive whining in every thread that has
    anything positive to say about the Pre.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The only thing that's a lot of yawns is your repetitive whining in every thread that has
    anything positive to say about the Pre.
    If something is incorrect please enlighten me otherwise, well you already know.
    If something is incorrect please enlighten me otherwise, well you already know.
    You lost all credibility when you said 'crappy hardware'.
    You lost all credibility when you said 'crappy hardware'.
    Hardware access. Want to try again?
    As I said the first time this article was posted, it's a nice piece of conjecture, but little else. The only source is the well-circulated story of the Android developer who didn't make much from a couple of popular apps.

But I've read similarly-sourced stories of the inevitable revolt of developers from the Apple App Store, and they just kept climbing to 70K and beyond, I'm sure.

What can't be dismissed as opinion or conjecture is that WebOS currently has the weakest development resources available to people who want to jump onboard, which is a shame as it's a nascent platform and needs the support most.

Palm REALLY needs to get it in gear as far as allowing developers access to all of the Pre's hardware sooner rather than later.
    Hardware access. Want to try again?
    Oh so you're just repeating what just about everyone on the forum knows already?Yeah we know the SDK is limited right now. It's only been repeated about 1,000,000 times already. That doesn't mean some great apps can't be developed. Not every app needs deep hardware access.

I read it wrong, I admit that, but you're not bringing any new, just the same old
    tired argument. If Android was going to make a big impact, it would have already.
    I read it wrong, I admit that, but you're not bringing any new, just the same old
    tired argument. If Android was going to make a big impact, it would have already.
    You don't consider a brand new mobile OS with 5 million hardware units sold and 7,000 apps in less than a year after initial launch as having made a big impact?

Palm would **** themselves with joy if WebOS/Pre hits HALF of either of those benchmarks 9 months from now.

Why must we denigrate other platforms to enjoy the one we've chosen? Android has its advantages. So does iPhone. So does WebOS/Pre. We're living with an embarrassment of riches to be in a time when we can freely choose between all three.
    Well I am happy with 200 homebrew apps in 4 months. I'm also happy with about 20,000+ palm apps already out accessable through classic. Did somewhat say there was a shortage of apps? Games, yes there is a shortage of. I don't really care though since i'm not using my phone as a toy... but rather as a productivity device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I don't really care though since i'm not using my phone as a toy... but rather as a productivity device.
    The Pre was and still is marketed as an alternative to the iPhone. If it's productivity you are after, why didn't you go with a blackberry?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You don't consider a brand new mobile OS with 5 million hardware units sold and 7,000 apps in less than a year after initial launch as having made a big impact?

Palm would **** themselves with joy if WebOS/Pre hits HALF of either of those benchmarks 9 months from now.

Why must we denigrate other platforms to enjoy the one we've chosen? Android has its advantages. So does iPhone. So does WebOS/Pre. We're living with an embarrassment of riches to be in a time when we can freely choose between all three.
    Google acquired Android in 2005 and soon after development began until the initial release in '08 so technically, it's not that new.

I'm assuming that 5 million number is worldwide. With only 6% market share, Android has a long way to go though.I remember the big hoopla around the the G1. It was expected to grab some market share from Apple but that didn't pan out very well, or if they did, the numbers didn't reflect it. And it was going up against the crappier 3g at that time. It had better multimedia features, better camera, expansion slot to name a few and it still lost. That says a lot.

I agree Android has promise but with WebOS out now, I expect its market share to climb even slower. The common complaint with Android seem to be antiquated look and feel of the interface. Forget what it's capable of underneath, the average Joe cross-shopping an iPhone really doesn't care. I played with it and I could see why. Google needs to re do it. More eye candy with a more intuitive interface. They also need to advertise the heck out of it.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    The Hero fixes the interface problem on Android. I have to say, that it was my main gripe with the G1 as well. It was just too ugly, webos is much nicer looking. I would have bought the Hero, but hte CPU is too slow and it was out of the question. That phone is going to be obsolete within a few months, but hte Pre can still hold its own for another couple years, especially if they work out CPU scaling and let it run at 550 and 600mhz.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Android is still out in front of webOS, meanwhile we're still waiting for Palm to tell us how many Pres that they've sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovehog View Post
    The Pre was and still is marketed as an alternative to the iPhone. If it's productivity you are after, why didn't you go with a blackberry?
    Because of the web browsing and UI as well.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    If developers hate the Pre so much, then why does this article state the opposite? PCworld is a pretty reputable magazine.
    That was a blog from InfoWorld last week that got picked up. I got the impression it was not well researched. They didn't even give examples of these developers or quotes from them.

When I see reputable / well-known developers saying this directly, then I will believe it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast