Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    The Hero fixes the interface problem on Android. I have to say, that it was my main gripe with the G1 as well. It was just too ugly, webos is much nicer looking. I would have bought the Hero, but hte CPU is too slow and it was out of the question. That phone is going to be obsolete within a few months, but hte Pre can still hold its own for another couple years, especially if they work out CPU scaling and let it run at 550 and 600mhz.
    You are mistaking aesthetics for functionality. At least you understand that the hardware is a bad match for the UI.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You don't consider a brand new mobile OS with 5 million hardware units sold and 7,000 apps in less than a year after initial launch as having made a big impact?

Palm would **** themselves with joy if WebOS/Pre hits HALF of either of those benchmarks 9 months from now.

Why must we denigrate other platforms to enjoy the one we've chosen? Android has its advantages. So does iPhone. So does WebOS/Pre. We're living with an embarrassment of riches to be in a time when we can freely choose between all three.
    Android has G1 and G2 phones.
    PALM can sell 5 million of Pre and the upcoming Pixie ( EOS) across the globe.
    I am sure they hit closer to 700K mark in three months of Pre release.
    Next year Verizon is introducing Pre.
    I bet many Verizon folks will be thrilled to have it over the Storm2 or the upcoming Motorola Shole.

My 2 cents , you spoke too early. We shall see.
    Google is dabbling on everything , starting from Pop corn to Making movies :-).
    I doubt they can keep up with iPhone OS or WebOS on features.
    They have too many things to worry about ( Google Voice, Email, Docs ........ and then there is Bing).

Overall, PALM is focused on PHONES , just PHONES. APPLE and others ( except RIMM) have many products to work on.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    The Hero fixes the interface problem on Android.
    NO. HTC fixed the interface for the Hero. They did NOTHING to fix the interface for Android.

The default UI for Android just isn't that good. If was good, then the OEMs wouldn't have to rebuild it for their phones. If it was good enough and the OEMs created a new interface anyways, then its a huge disservice to Android. One Android phone will look and work completely differently from another, which is never a good thing to a consumer (HTC's Sense UI and Sony's Rachael UI are examples).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Overall, PALM is focused on PHONES , just PHONES. APPLE and others ( except RIMM) have many products to work on.

Palm CEO Ed Colligan's famous last words when the iPhone was just a rumor in the fall of 2006:

"We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,” he said. “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in."

We all know how that worked out. That was right about the time Palm started to tank big time, despite a strong focus on mobile devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Android has G1 and G2 phones.
    PALM can sell 5 million of Pre and the upcoming Pixie ( EOS) across the globe.
    I am sure they hit closer to 700K mark in three months of Pre release.
    Next year Verizon is introducing Pre.
    I bet many Verizon folks will be thrilled to have it over the Storm2 or the upcoming Motorola Shole.
    Where on Earth are you getting these numbers from? Palm and Sprint have avoided disclosing Pre sales at every possible opportunity. Now, they're shaving $50 off the price. Does that sound like a device trending toward 700K in 90 days to you?

I'm sure Palm can sell 5 million Pre and Pixies phones around the world...at some point. But in 9 months, when three have already elapsed and it's available in just two countries with so-so sales? No.

My 2 cents , you spoke too early. We shall see.
    Google is dabbling on everything , starting from Pop corn to Making movies :-).
    I doubt they can keep up with iPhone OS or WebOS on features.
    They have too many things to worry about ( Google Voice, Email, Docs ........ and then there is Bing).

And Google is focused on software, which they leverage across platforms.

I mean, you say you doubt they can "keep up" with WebOS or iPhone on features? iPhone JUST caught up to them with including a compass. Palm still doesn't have one. Palm still doesn't have video. Or Flash. Or multiple form factors. Or 10K+ apps. Or a finished SDK. Or a halfway decent Google Maps.

Who's keeping up with who again?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Software is another thing, but getting a compass in a hardware refresh is totally different. That's hardware.

And frankly, I don't see what all this hoopla is about? Palm could sell two million units in a year and still be good.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12