Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    You have to send your broken one back, or you have to pay for the refurbed one. (It's probably rarely new)
    you cant send something back that was lost/stolen
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trick440 View Post
    For some reason I didn't think the insurance covered water damage. It does so thats great.

As far as the ethics, ...I'm going to take it back and say I don't know what happened, if they fix it for free great, if I gotta pay $100 thats fine too. I wouldn't feel bad either way I have had sprint for over 10yrs maybe and have never had an insurance claim, so honestly I wouldn't flinch one bit it by leaving some details out.

Thanks guys.
    TEP covers water damage. You just have to pay the deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    IT IS INSURANCE COVERAGE!!! not theft. The poor guy was just asking if it was covered.
    The "poor guy" also said this:

"I do have insurance but I don't think it covers water damage. It does covers if its lost so I will probably just say it was lost."

"I'm really thinking about just taking it back and saying I don't know what happened."

"As far as the ethics, ...I'm going to take it back and say I don't know what happened"
    Last edited by Trekker; 09/06/2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Deleted comment
    Trecker - your right. I guess I missed that. He should just hand them the phone and buck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Because cell phone carriers are always ethical in their customer relations. Give me a break....if you can pull a fast one on them, go for it.
    Ahhh, so you're of the theory that if you think someone at an organization is a theif, that is justification for becoming a theif and steal from them?

Good to know. Keep your identity secret. If someone shares the same theory, you may be their next target...
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Trecker - your right. I guess I missed that. He should just hand them the phone and buck up.
    Actually, I should keep my personal feelings out of the thread....no use inflaming things.
    For some reason I didn't think the insurance covered water damage. It does so thats great.

As far as the ethics, ...I'm going to take it back and say I don't know what happened, if they fix it for free great, if I gotta pay $100 thats fine too. I wouldn't feel bad either way I have had sprint for over 10yrs maybe and have never had an insurance claim, so honestly I wouldn't flinch one bit it by leaving some details out.

Thanks guys.
    We got it the first time (or at least most of us). It is an ethics issue. You're saying you're going to lie (you do know what happened), and hope they don't discover the lie, but if they do, you're willing to pay the insurance.

I'm curious what you plan on doing if the tech walks out and asks you if it's been in the water. If you answer "no", or "I don't know" (which would be pretty obviously fishy to the tech), you're committing insurance fraud. I doubt anyone would prosecute, but that's not the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Actually, I should keep my personal feelings out of the thread....no use inflaming things.
    I disagree (but then, you and I are pretty much in agreement on the basics, so shouldn't come as a surprise).

It's the lazes-faire attitude among people in general that encourages this kind of theft, and it's the honest people that pay the price (in higher fees, more restrictive policies, etc). There's a reason that Asurion doubled their deductible for smart phones.
    Luckily, you have TEP, so cough up the $100 and get a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I disagree (but then, you and I are pretty much in agreement on the basics, so shouldn't come as a surprise).
    I guess I should rephrase that....I should try to be civil when stating my personal feelings. Very difficult for me to do but I'm trying. I deleted one inflammatory comment that I made. Even though I feel that way, I can't think of a civil way of stating it, so I removed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    your name is forever linked to the devise s/n and it is locked when claimed stolen or lost and cannot be opened
    You can actually flash a "stolen" esn phone to cricket wireless. I wish it wasnt possible but it is, i have a "friend" well not really a friend who did this with a stolen instinct...
    Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    You can actually flash a "stolen" esn phone to cricket wireless. I wish it wasnt possible but it is, i have a "friend" well not really a friend who did this with a stolen instinct...
    You did not just say that? After all this talk you wave a flag. Maybe leave the friend part out next time. Maybe heard of someone.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 09/06/2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I thought you could only add it in the first 30 days you own the phone.
    I *think* you can still add it after that, but if you do, you have to prove it's working first (by having them call you back on that phone), and then have to wait 30 days before coverage becomes effective. Obviously to prevent people from signing up for TEP *after* they need it, and immediately filing a claim.

--John
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ahhh, so you're of the theory that if you think someone at an organization is a theif, that is justification for becoming a theif and steal from them?

Good to know. Keep your identity secret. If someone shares the same theory, you may be their next target...
    Who said anything about being a thief? If he brings his water-damaged Pre to Sprint and they're not smart enough to realize it, that's their problem. They should hire more competent technicians.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Who said anything about being a thief? If he brings his water-damaged Pre to Sprint and they're not smart enough to realize it, that's their problem. They should hire more competent technicians.
    Nope. He's already stated he plans on misrepresenting the truth, in the hopes of getting something to which he is not entitled.Fraud is just another form of theft.
    and force the tech to tear-down the phone, make others wait, etc etc etc when if one was honest up-front, it would be a non issue. Whats $100 anyhow? Yes its money, but in the long run its not much.

Its the people who have this kind of attitude that has driven customer service into the ground. It causes counter salesmen to immediately be suspicious of customers, and even outrightly hostile when problems are encountered, and often the customer ISNT the problem. I know, I worked retail for years. I would sell a customer a product, then within 3-4 weeks get the same guy back trying to return it for a full refund - often the part(s) were obviously years older, and had much more wear than was physically possible in the short time they had the part... We would swap them anyway, but in the past 4 years, the company has gone to importing most of these parts from china now, shut down several domestic manufacturing shops as a result, and have doubled the price as well as cut the warranty period in half. Gee.. wonder why?

Fess up, the guy at the counter (and all the people that would have had to wait an hour for your issue to get resolved) will all be a lot happier. The blank stare and "I dunno.." is as good as an admission, and beyond being dishonest, you wont be fooling anyone.

Do what you will, but just because you perceive a company as a rip-off, doesnt mean you should treat them as if they are, or begin with 'an eye for an eye' trip... Hell, call up the customer care line and explain the situation, your good standing and your being happy with sprint - they might just shoot you $50 (ask about why the premium doubled? Is it possible to get a partial reimbursement?) I know Ive gotten such concessions in the past. I swapped my phone within the 30 day limit for a speaker that died, got a phone that Im nearly certain had a crack in the gesture area that I couldnt see when I got it, and had to use the insurance (in-store). I called customer support, told them I paid in-store, and was told that the premium was now $100, and that when I signed up (on my previous contract) it was $50, would they still honor the $50? I got a $50 credit on my account... still out $70, but hey - what can you do with no definitive proof?
    When you screw over them you screw over us with future increased cost.
    Thank you(in advance)
  18.    #38  
    Well call me a thief, I returned the phone and they gave me a new one. This new one is like twice as loud too, See I had a broken phone from the start anyways!

I like how someone qouted me about not saying anything when I return the phone, but they edit out how I have had insurance for over 10yrs and never made a claim.

So lets say my phone never broke, I would of been going around for who knows how long with a speaker I can barely even hear,. Then lets say I find out that the speaker was originally broken, Sprint would of never took it back for free. So call me a bad person. I'm gonna chalk it up as instead of me getting screwed, karma balanced everything out and the world is still going to be ok.

Did I mention I got a new phone and it works great? F'n great. I'm happy, sprint gets to take my money for atleast the next 3yrs.... you guys can stop crying... (lol, jk I know that will never happen, even though if this didn't work out like this I would of been getting screwed)
    I like how someone qouted me about not saying anything when I return the phone, but they edit out how I have had insurance for over 10yrs and never made a claim.
    I guess I'm unaware of the law that allows you to defraud insurance companies if you are claim free for 10 years.
    Wow, up to three a year? That's pretty high. Besides insurance fraud (lol), is there anything preventing someone from fake-losing their phone and selling the new one on eBay?
    The ESN (edit: of the lost phone) is recorded in the Sprint system when a device is reported lost. When anyone tries to activate the phone, it's flagged. In theory the phone could be taken apart and sold for parts (but that would be selling stolen goods).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast