Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You all know how we have been taking about how palm released 1.2 update and then pulled it. Some say it was a mistake and/or others also say it is a beta. We are so blind! Companies have done this in the past. It was dated for 8/30 and it came out around that day. Palm is strapped on cash and staff (it has been said). Why not if you were "Mr." palm company leak the update out, so that the good folks at places like this and the media will review it. It will then start one of the biggest theads at "precentral". Palm gets MEGA feedback. The public starts reading about palm pre again during a dull time for them. Palm lets the update come out a week or so later with the minor tweeks that they hear are needed from us. I think they got us in the "palm" of their hand.
    Seems logical, but why doesn't Palm just create a public beta environment for us hardcore users?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Seems logical, but why doesn't Palm just create a public beta environment for us hardcore users?
    This would make more sense to me. They allowed PDN users access to the SDK a month or so before the phone was released, why not just let us test / get feedback?

Seems like a mistake to me.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    if they were going to intentionally unintentionally release 1.2, why not just post an announcement on their site detailing the changes.?
    The OP's argument sounds reasonable but I think someone just ****-up at Palm. There are too many other ways to accomplish this type of thing in a more controlled environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    You all know how we have been taking about how palm released 1.2 update and then pulled it. Some say it was a mistake and/or others also say it is a beta. We are so blind! Companies have done this in the past. It was dated for 8/30 and it came out around that day. Palm is strapped on cash and staff (it has been said). Why not if you were "Mr." palm company leak the update out, so that the good folks at places like this and the media will review it. It will then start one of the biggest theads at "precentral". Palm gets MEGA feedback. The public starts reading about palm pre again during a dull time for them. Palm lets the update come out a week or so later with the minor tweeks that they hear are needed from us. I think they got us in the "palm" of their hand.
    I've made several comments that basically mirror this, though not the strapped for cash part, thats pretty irrelevant, and you don't know if they are strapped for cash now. The build date of 8/30 doesn't mean it was meant to come out then though. There was probably an 8/29 build, an 8/28 build, etc.
  7.    #7  
    Good question. Put on your marketing hat. Palm needs the most media attention for the buck. All you have to do is look at what has happened. They get everyone talking more with no announcement.
    Good question. Put on your marketing hat. Palm needs the most media attention for the buck. All you have to do is look at what has happened. They get everyone talking more with no announcement.
    This. Palm is incredibly good at this, they know how to manipulate the media. Just look at their history, like releasing the Pre 2 days before the WWDC, so that everyone had to talk about the Pre when mentioning the 3Gs.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I agree with another post I read here the other day that says folks here read WAY TOO MUCH into things like this.
    I would call BS on it being unintentional, but...if there were an organized, established beta group, it would not receive the same viral attention as a "leak". Palm and Sprint have done this before. I remember when the Treo Pro "appeared" on the Sprint web site, for sale, for about 4 hours then "poof" it was gone. Best Buy also did it with the Pre. I can probably think of a few more...
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    This would be a more "spontaneous" way of doing it tho. Everyone is thinking either THE UPDATE or INFO ON THE UPDATE. Then they do this? Sounds reasonable...
  12.    #12  
    As Elysian said, "Palm is good at this". Think of the best - Nintendo. Make short supply (update in this case), get public talking = free advertising.
    Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    100% agree! There are so many awesome precentral members that found so many issues right off the bat when the Pre was first released. I find it ridiculous that Palm doesn't take those of you who are geniuses (in my eyes) on here and provide you free Pre's with service to put through the paces. Imagine the number of issues they could have resolved prior to release. Not sure who was involved in the testing of the Pre before release (Palm employees only), but they are obviously not power users.

They should do this for the OS updates too...just makes SENSE!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTreo600 View Post
    100% agree! There are so many awesome precentral members that found so many issues right off the bat when the Pre was first released. I find it ridiculous that Palm doesn't take those of you who are geniuses (in my eyes) on here and provide you free Pre's with service to put through the paces. Imagine the number of issues they could have resolved prior to release. Not sure who was involved in the testing of the Pre before release (Palm employees only), but they are obviously not power users.

That would work and I fully agree. But why not take it one more step. They knew the master minds here would be the ones to catch it. Just look at the LED comments. Even made it to front page. They may want to know if it should be fast, slow, only a few times, controlable etc...

Dull time? huh Palm just released the Bell version I dont think this is a down time for palm. There are way too many conspiracy theorists on this board. THE PRE HAS ONLY BEEN OUT FOR 3 MOS. Palm is not Microsoft for god sakes, It has taken Microsoft 2.5 years so far to get windows 7 out and its just an upgraded XP, WebOs is a totally new os and some of you just cant stop *****ing about Palm should have done this or that. Maybe you guys who seem to know better than Palm should get together and buy Palm so you can prove to the rest of us how you're Right. 3 MOS give it time!
  17.    #17  
    If I may? Change dull to lull (in media hype). After all, I have not seen as much of the "robotic girl" on tv much as of late.

I'll agree w/ most of this except to say, I'm sure palm knows about this board. However the total # of members on this board total maybe 5% of the total # of Pres sold thus far. This board is a necessary forum for power users and uber geeks but make no mistake Palms bottom line would not be affected one bit If this forum were to disappear.

I think with regards to their testing it is my humble opinion that those fixes were not included in the 1.0 build because of time more so than qa not finding it. As with any professional software product there will be bugs. However, at some point you have to do a code freeze. This is when stop adding new features and just fix the most important bugs. Launching on time is the main priority and sometimes we coders have a mentality of well if its not a blocker (a bug that will stop a user from completing a particular task) then it can wait.

I'm sure they were very crunched for time back then. Honestly, they deserve a hand for getting webos to be as solid as it was at the time. That's just my .02 tho.
    You think Palm's developers would be here on this board pretending to be super users so that they could learn what we all want then take it to work and use the info to make the next updates.

You think they would have a spokesperson that would inter-act with us here asking us questions, and answering ours, showing all of us how much Palm wants to really support this phone. Imangine the feedback both ways!

But instead Palm is quiet,closed, and uninterested in what we really want. I was expecting better from them with the Pre.

I'm still VERY happy with my Pre, just wish Palm cared more about us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast