Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    My understanding is that Telstra and Palm have not been able to come to agreement on the PRE and therefore will not be carrying the device. Even though Optus and Vodaphone were interested it appears Palm has decided to focus on their largest market - NA

As an Australian I would obviously welcome any comment that would suggest I am wrong as I am keen to see the device widely available in this region.

Picking up an unlocked GSM model from Europe (or China - should that ever happen) is not a great or cost effective outcome and will not boost sales or support here.

It is highly likely the deployment in Europe will also be smaller and more focussed than initially thought - again for the same reason (most available customers)

This leaves me with little option but to look at other mobile devices as my 3 year old Samsung Blackjack is on its last legs.

I am atrracted by the iPhone mainly because of the software available but I consider that as going to the dark side and Windoze mobile 6.5 in October doesn't really give me much more than I have now.

This is a really sorry state of affairs as a great phone is not going to be available in the
    Asiapacific region.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Thanks AS147... just wondering what is your source for this? Quite reliable?

I am in a similar position with a dying Treo 680 and have been holding out for the Pre since it's announcement in January! Perhaps time to defect to a Blackberry or iPhone.
    The fact that Telstra won't have it is a plus from my point of view. I just hope that somebody else does pick it up, and soon.
    I share your concern. I have been waiting for the release date with baited breath, but no announcement, then your news.

As sucklingpig says: what is your source / how credible?
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The data is from multiple credible sources I am afraid to say. On the public side you need only look at whirlpool here to see that this was rumoured a while ago.

Look at the third post here which has been confirmed by my sources
    The New Palm Pre - Mobile Phones - Whirlpool Broadband Forums

Even in this very large forum/thread this has been confirmed several times and later posts ask about Telstra carrying the PRE (they hadn't read the earlier posts).

There is more information about Palm and Australia to be released soon and I will be able to share that in the next few weeks but it wouldn't be fair to do so now.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The fact that Telstra won't have it is a plus from my point of view. I just hope that somebody else does pick it up, and soon.
    I agree but unfortunately Palm isn't going to give anayone else the opportunity in the near term

This is very sad news indeed. I know Mr. Whitby will be disappointed along with many other Aussies. Palm needs the sales, this just seems stupid.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    This is very sad news indeed. I know Mr. Whitby will be disappointed along with many other Aussies. Palm needs the sales, this just seems stupid.
    Its not that silly when you think about it. Australia is a potential mobile phone market share of 1-2% globally. It makes far more sense for Palm to focus on larger markets.

Not sure who Mr Whitby is (a fictional character?)

Anyway I share your sadness.

I'm afraid these are the downsides of living in a small country (I mean population-wise, definitely not area-wise in Australia's case!).

I don't think we'll see the Pre soon (if at all) in Greece either, it's only been announced for 4-5 European countries and it's still not out yet even in them!

I think we'll have to settle for the "buy an unlocked Pre from another European country" option.

I can only assume Palm just doesn't have the capacity/resources to support a faster/wider launch right now. Let's hope this will be helped by the Pre's success and we'll see the Pre 2 and other WebOS models sooner in more countries!
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by symos View Post
    I'm afraid these are the downsides of living in a small country (I mean population-wise, definitely not area-wise in Australia's case!).

I don't think we'll see the Pre soon (if at all) in Greece either, it's only been announced for 4-5 European countries and it's still not out yet even in them!

I think we'll have to settle for the "buy an unlocked Pre from another European country" option.

I can only assume Palm just doesn't have the capacity/resources to support a faster/wider launch right now. Let's hope this will be helped by the Pre's success and we'll see the Pre 2 and other WebOS models sooner in more countries!
    Symos, you are absolutely correct that it will probably not surface in Greece soon. However it is unlikely it has the same barriers as Asiapacific (a whole region). Once it is released in a few European countries (and that will probably be this year before Christmas) it will be very much easier for companies to provide locally sourced unlocked versions. That is at least a high possibility which will not be available to the Asiapacific region.

The extra news I will be able to share in the next few weeks regarding Asiapacific might equally apply to Europe.

The number of telecom providers will be dependent on the success of the PRE over the next 6 months in Palms core market areas.

Two main things will underpin the success rate. A good marketing campaign and a much larger and more mature app store.

I actually think it would damage Palm more if they released more widely (especially in Europe) and didn't at least have a larger App store.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I too have been hanging out for the Pre to arrive here Down Under to replace my Treo 750v, but that is starting to look unlikely.

I imported my Treo 750v from Hong Kong, but given the issues some people have had with their Pre's, I would be reluctant to go down that road again and not have the ability to return/swap locally.

Lately, I have started to look at Android devices. HTC Hero is reportedly coming to Oz soon and the SE Xperia X3 looks very nice (although it may be awhile before it's released here).

Palm have done some great things with webOS and the Pre - it is a pity the company appears to lack the financial and marketing muscle to fully capitalise on what they have done.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Agreed, for me it is always a platform decision first. I was hanging out for the WebOS but for the same reason of device support (ability to return the device if faulty etc) I am not comfortable investing significant cash. Therefore it's either stick with Windowze Mobile (6.5 out next month) - which will come with a slew of new devices or iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Not sure who Mr Whitby is (a fictional character?)
    I can assure you I'm very real :-)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I can assure you I'm very real :-)

-- Rod
    Hi, didn't know of your existence

The extra news I will be able to share in the next few weeks regarding Asiapacific might equally apply to Europe.
    That news being that Palm AU has sacked/retrenched most, if not all, staff from it's Australian office recently, sending an email to Palm Distributors saying it has seriously downsized in the Asia Pacific region and will only be supporting the existing Centro/Treo range of phones for as long as Palm makes them.
    I think you'll have to wait until Sprint's exclusivity is up (rumored to be January) before we start hearing more about a GSM Pre. Until then I doubt we'll hear anything about Palm's plans for non-CDMA areas. I'd guess it just doesn't make financial sense to them to start making them for the rest of the world until they can also make them for the US.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    That news being that Palm AU has sacked/retrenched most, if not all, staff from it's Australian office recently, sending an email to Palm Distributors saying it has seriously downsized in the Asia Pacific region and will only be supporting the existing Centro/Treo range of phones for as long as Palm makes them.
    That is most of it yes. But there is a little bit more. Other than the WebOS phones I believe they will be stopping production of the Treo phones and focussing on WebOS only. We will see a limited push into Europe and no activity in the Asiapacific region for the foorseeable future.

The success in their key markets will be their focus and these markets will dictate whether Palm extends its reach into other markets

18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Oh, another thread based on (mostly) unverifiable information and conjecture! Congratulations!
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Oh, another thread based on (mostly) unverifiable information and conjecture! Congratulations!
    Xyg, I appreciate your scepticism but as is mostly the case with negative news it is often unverifiable until the event for obvious reasons.

However the sources of the data are reliable and if you read up a couple of postings you will see the original details (which couldn't be shared at the time) has actually happened and is therefore now verifiable. For example the Pal, stores and support in Australia is being massively cut back and is all but being completely removed.

It is verified by several sources (again referenced here to other places) that Telstra will not be picking up the Pre.

The remaining facts are that there will be no release of the PRE in Australia for at least 6 more months and is entirely dependent on the success in Palms core markets over the next 6 months.

The fact that releases in Europe will be to specific and a smaller spread of countries is also becoming evident. The release will be probably be delayed in Europe for the same reason that Palm need to/want to focus on their key markets

If you chose not to believe these remaining facts then so be it.

The fact that releases in Europe will be to specific and a smaller spread of countries is also becoming evident. The release will be probably be delayed in Europe for the same reason that Palm need to/want to focus on their key markets

If you chose not to believe these remaining facts then so be it.
    I don't see how this is "becoming evident" when they haven't even announced the GSM Pre to announce carriers for yet. Once they announce a GSM Pre, which I believe they will not too long after the Sprint exclusivity runs out, then we'll start hearing more about timelines for carriers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast