Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't see how this is "becoming evident" when they haven't even announced the GSM Pre to announce carriers for yet. Once they announce a GSM Pre, which I believe they will not too long after the Sprint exclusivity runs out, then we'll start hearing more about timelines for carriers.

Huh? A GSM pre has been announced to at least one carrier 02 in the UK and their site notes that it will be available for Christmas:

Palm Pre

Moreover, GSM Pre were shown off at a UK event yesterday. I don't see what Sprint's exclusivity has to do with it - that's for North America.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Huh? A GSM pre has been announced to at least one carrier 02 in the UK and their site notes that it will be available for Christmas:

Palm Pre

Moreover, GSM Pre were shown off at a UK event yesterday. I don't see what Sprint's exclusivity has to do with it - that's for North America.
    ... Well, when the hell did that happen?

Sprint's exclusivity in my mind only has to do with it that they probably wouldn't mass produce GSM Pres until they could sell them in the US as well as worldwide, it just wouldn't seem to make too much financial sense for a US-based company. But since O2 is getting them around Christmas apparently, and Sprint's exclusivity ends around then anyway, the timing is probably perfect for that.

Palm Pre

Can somebody UK based (won't let me in) confirm that in the O2 page mentions a miniSD card. (Not that that means it's true.)
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Hi jhoff80, that is the point. There has been "talk" of a GSM model for quite some time but as yet nothing concrete. Remember even when they announce a GSM model that doesn't automatically mean it will be available immediately. If you look at Palm's announcements or the repeated messages they have identified only a few European carriers (i.e. just a collection of EU countries).
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Can somebody UK based (won't let me in) confirm that in the O2 page mentions a miniSD card. (Not that that means it's true.)

Says nothing of the sort, just the usual internal 8gb storage.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    That is most of it yes. But there is a little bit more. Other than the WebOS phones I believe they will be stopping production of the Treo phones and focussing on WebOS only. We will see a limited push into Europe and no activity in the Asiapacific region for the foorseeable future.

The success in their key markets will be their focus and these markets will dictate whether Palm extends its reach into other markets
    Confirmation of the remaining information I posted previously. Unfortunately all of the information I had has been proven correct.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-abandons-windows-mobile

The next 6 months are obviously going to be critical. All other focus areas have been removed.

Whilst there are positives to this approach the negative is tha the Treo line is a revenue stream (mainly in the corporate world) that they have decided to stop

Given that they are short on cash reserves http://www.precentral.net/palm-annou...y-2010-results the Palm WebOS has now truly become a bet the whole bank move.

However the market sentiment after todays financial report from Palm have been generally positive. So perhaps the bet is a good one.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Says nothing of the sort, just the usual internal 8gb storage.
    Thanks. Thought that this would be BS

"Sim-free" Palm Pre pops up in the UK for two online retailers (Phone Arena News)
    Noob question time; If they end up not bringing the Pre here (here being Au), what are the options?
    How risky is buying an unlocked US or UK phone and slotting in an Au sim?
    I'm on a 680 at the moment and though it does most thing I need it to (spreadsheets, PDFs/eBooks, GPS Nav/ logging etc), it would be nice to have something a bit (ok, a lot, or even as fast as my old 650) faster that can also multitask.
    I will be keen to import an unlocked one when I can.

Can anybody comment on whether the 'Palm profile' setup process is carrier specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I will be keen to import an unlocked one when I can.

Can anybody comment on whether the 'Palm profile' setup process is carrier specific.
    It is not.

I have imported a CDMA Pre (yes, I know it won't work as a phone here in Australia - see my signature for why I might want one anyway), and have flashed it with both Sprint and Bell firmware, and (after bypassing activation) the Palm profile stuff worked fine with both.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12