1.    #1  
    so i have a blackberry bold on AT&T and i really like it but soon im going to have to start helping pay my bill or pay my own bill fully (im currently 17) and AT&T is ridiculous when it comes to what you get for how much you pay; my dad is paying 102 with taxes JUST FOR 450 mins and unlimited data/text. i have a few questions about the pre that i hope you guys can answer (:

1)did the new updates fix the battery issue that AIM was causing?
    2)does the pre still sync just like an ipod with a mac? (i love my imac)
    3)can someone post the steps to get better battery life, like what to turn off and stuff (i know location and wifi and lowering brightness, but are there others too?)
    4)what exactly is this "oreo effect" i sometimes hear about?
    5)what is it about the pre that makes you all giddy inside?

thanks for the future support and im excited to leave crackberry and come here<3
    just make sure your pre slides nice, and doesn't go left to right like you already know. Enjoy it!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  3.    #3  
    hehe thanks for that! any help with the questions i posted above?
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    so i have a blackberry bold on AT&T and i really like it but soon im going to have to start helping pay my bill or pay my own bill fully (im currently 17) and AT&T is ridiculous when it comes to what you get for how much you pay; my dad is paying 102 with taxes JUST FOR 450 mins and unlimited data/text. i have a few questions about the pre that i hope you guys can answer (:

3)can someone post the steps to get better battery life, like what to turn off and stuff (i know location and wifi and lowering brightness, but are there others too?)

thanks for the future support and im excited to leave crackberry and come here<3
    1. As of WEBOS 1.1 - no did not correct battery
    2. As od WEBOS 1.1 - you will need to us an app to sync with the mac
    3. Turn GPS Off, turn down screen, turn off locations
    4. screen moves a lot to the left and right
    5. Homebrew apps
    1)did the new updates fix the battery issue that AIM was causing? YES
    2)does the pre still sync just like an ipod with a mac? (i love my imac) YES
    3)can someone post the steps to get better battery life, like what to turn off and stuff (i know location and wifi and lowering brightness, but are there others too?) - Check threads on this. Lots around.
    4)what exactly is this "oreo effect" i sometimes hear about? - Oreo effect is that the screen rotates slightly left and right. Just make sure that everything is tight.
    -There have been updates that have fixed the battery allot. The AIM issue is no more and with regular use I can some times get a day and a half out of it.

-Yes it does. There maybe sometime in the furture were it may not for a week until Palm get a update out to fix it.

-I don't think that battery will be a big problem for you. All the people who have problems with battery are those who have to use it for bussinis use. Instant email, use allot (aka screen on half the time), and losts of web use. You won't need to overly use it so you would easily get a day out of it with room to spare. Here is the list:
    -Wifi on when in scetchy cell ranges.
    -Turn off all Location services.
    -**Brightness turned down.**
    -Email receiving turned to at least a hour.

-It is the twisting between the two halves of the Pre. Some have it more than others and ether try a fix from the forums or take it back to get another. If the Pre you get has a lot of twisting then take it back (twists more than a mm). If you are unable to return it (out of warrenty or anything) then you may try a fix. If it is less than a mm it will seem a big deal but just live with it for a week and it will go away.

-I love the whole homebrew community! An now with the upcoming App Catologue that lets you buy apps! All I can say is I am soo surprised at how fast the homebrew communitty is growing! We almost have a total of 200 homebrew app before Palm even releases rhe first 1.0 version of the Catolugue!!!!
    - I love the browser!! I do have the leaked 1.2 on it which allows copying from the browser and saving images! By the time you get a Pre it may all ready be released.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    -There have been updates that have fixed the battery allot. The AIM issue is no more and with regular use I can some times get a day and a half out of it.

-Yes it does. There maybe sometime in the furture were it may not for a week until Palm get a update out to fix it.

-I don't think that battery will be a big problem for you. All the people who have problems with battery are those who have to use it for bussinis use. Instant email, use allot (aka screen on half the time), and losts of web use. You won't need to overly use it so you would easily get a day out of it with room to spare. Here is the list:
    -Wifi on when in scetchy cell ranges.
    -Turn off all Location services.
    -**Brightness turned down.**
    -Email receiving turned to at least a hour.

-It is the twisting between the two halves of the Pre. Some have it more than others and ether try a fix from the forums or take it back to get another. If the Pre you get has a lot of twisting then take it back (twists more than a mm). If you are unable to return it (out of warrenty or anything) then you may try a fix. If it is less than a mm it will seem a big deal but just live with it for a week and it will go away.

-I love the whole homebrew community! An now with the upcoming App Catologue that lets you buy apps! All I can say is I am soo surprised at how fast the homebrew communitty is growing! We almost have a total of 200 homebrew app before Palm even releases rhe first 1.0 version of the Catolugue!!!!
    - I love the browser!! I do have the leaked 1.2 on it which allows copying from the browser and saving images! By the time you get a Pre it may all ready be released.
    can i just tell you how much i already love you lol. and i wont be streaming a lot so i think ill be good on battery, my main uses are texting,AIM,some web,and music (:

the pre will sync with itunes out of the box right?!

I've been very happy with the Pre for the most part and I've been a Sprint customer since 1999. You can't beat Sprint for value, their prices are just too good to pass up.

1) I use AIM a lot and I don't have a huge problem with my battery. Be aware that with any smartphone, the more stuff you have running, the faster your battery will drain.
    2) My Pre still syncs with iTunes, but I haven't updated to the newest version of iTunes. Since I have more music than the Pre can hold, I usually add and subtract songs manually anyway.
    3) If you keep GPS off and use WiFi when you're near a hotspot, battery life will improve. Screen brightness is at about 15-20%. I can get through an entire 12-hour day with heavy usage and still have about 45% power left over at the end of the day.
    4) Oreo describes the two halves of the phone twisting like ... well ... an oreo cookie. My first two phones had this problem, the third does not. It's hard to describe what's acceptable and what's not... but a new phone out of the box should have absolutely no give whatsoever. It will move a bit if forced, but you shouldn't have any twisting motion between the two halves.
    5) I get giddy inside when I think about the massive potential this phone has. I love being on the cutting edge and the Pre is an amazing piece of cutting edge technology. More stuff is being added all the time. My iPhone friends are all jealous.

I pay about $77/month for a 450 plan with unlimited data, text and picture mail because I qualify for a discount. Check with Sprint to see if you do too. Even if you don't, you're going to save a lot of money by switching over.

My iPhone friends are constantly searching for their chargers and their batteries are always dying. The Pre battery is better in my opinion. While there are definite ways to drain your battery fast (AIM on all day, GPS on, weak signal), I'm happy with the battery and have no trouble getting through a full day with heavy use.
  9.    #9  
    well i dont AIM all day, i wouldnt leave gps on all the time and i LIKE low brightness levels on screens lol so i should be good (:
    joshwithachance, my son is moved from a Blackberry and he thinks the phone is awesome.

He has a mac and says the Pre syncs with everything in iTunes, even his contacts. I don't have a mac so I don't know what's connect to iTunes on a mac. He already had MissingSync for his Blackberry and was planning to use it for his Pre, but he says it's not necessary.

I've personally moved the entire family to Sprint. See if your dad will think about it so that you only have to come up with $30 instead of $70. My children are grown, but I see no reason for them to pay more and for us to give up a family line.

What I'm paying for all four lines is about the same as what I'd pay for two data lines at Verizon and $80 less than what I'd pay a AT&T.
    pre= open source & cheaper rates
    iphone= closed tight & higher rates = theres no app for that
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Looks like your questions have been answered. But, I would like to add how much I enjoy Pre's "form factor" - it's easy to pick up and hide in the palm of your hand (no pun intended). Plus, when carrying in the palm of your hand, it fits perfectly.

My recommendation, though, is to buy the Touchstone charger kit if you can (approximately $70 retail). It comes with a matte-finish back cover that is much easier to grip than the original shiny back and it is a convenient and elegant way to charge (instead of trying to open the tiny connection flap on the phone, etc). So easy to just drop the phone onto the stone when you need to charge up - love it!!

Hope you have as much fun with your new Pre as I am having. . .
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    honestly, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy a Pre right now

wait a while until they get their act together. those of us with one are in the position of having to deal with a phone with a lot of growing pains that we paid a lot of money for. it's much nicer than the Treo and Blackberrys of the world yes, but overall those phones have nowhere near the functionality issues you're going to get with a 1.0/1.1/1.2 etc.
    The battery does get better with use. The more your charge, or top off, the longer it starts to last. And I never have AIM on, unless Im using it. I always log out when done.

Sprints Data Plans are seriously the BEST priced in the business!
    Sprints Coverage is the best for any area I have been in, when my friends on ATT are struggling to get a decent conv in

and the thing that makes ME personally giddy!

LINUX and OPEN SOURCE! I like to be able to PLAY with my toys, how I want, NOT just vanilla/stock

This is theeeeeeeee most fun tech toy I have seen since my Asus EeeePC first came out. And THIS one I can talk/read/travel/communicate/photograph/play on and sooo soo much more

oh, and THIS FORUM!
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    +1 on the Linux and Open Source!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    pre= open source & cheaper rates
    iphone= closed tight & higher rates = theres no app for that
    +1000
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    honestly, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy a Pre right now

wait a while until they get their act together. those of us with one are in the position of having to deal with a phone with a lot of growing pains that we paid a lot of money for. it's much nicer than the Treo and Blackberrys of the world yes, but overall those phones have nowhere near the functionality issues you're going to get with a 1.0/1.1/1.2 etc.
    I must have really low expectations - I haven't noticed much in the way of growing pains and quite frankly I have a Blcakberry curve and a Treo 755 and I always, I mean always, prefer the Pre.

But then again, I do "get" that everyone uses their phone the way they want and can see how for others there are issues....
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts

1. running any im app like aim, gtalk, ytalk, etc constantly will drain any phone quickly.
    2. don't know i'm a pc
    3. turn off gps and location services, you will have to experiment with mail check settings based upon how much mail you get, screen brightness down, bluetooth off unless being used. wifi should remain on if you are connected to a good signal. it actually uses less power than evdo.
    4. some people have found their pre's twist. you should open the box and feel a few pre's before selecting one. i didn't feel an oreo effect at first but mine is getting more over time. imho, like any slide or flip phone, the latch will wear out over time. buy the insurance.
    5. everything
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    And i love it....