1.    #1  
    So Windows 7 informs me today that it found new drivers for my "USB Modem". I'm guessing it means my Pre and it links me to an app called Sprint SmartView.

Anyone tried this yet?

http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/spr...s2.25.0046.exe

"Download this software to create a high-speed Internet connection for your computer anywhere on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network with your Smartphone with a Phone as Modem Plan."
    I have smartview on my Vaio Z laptop to allow me to use my built-in mobile broadband card. Smartview has one of the worst memory leaks I've ever seen in any piece of software -- just a heads up.

If you do try it out, please let us know. I run Vista and have not seen that option.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    That's the standard sprint aircard software.

I doubt it will allow you to use your pre through smartview.

You can use your pre as a wireless access point with internet access if you root it though.
    I got that notification too.

It appears to me that Sprint might unleash tether for the Pre as an option (rather than something that people have to root to get).

This may coincide with the Pixi release. It seems interesting enough.

I just hope this doesn't mean we have to pay to tether. I'm downloading it now and I'm going to try it.

Although, I'm scared to see what it means. It appears to be a driver update. It could be possible that this driver tells sprint that you're tethering and tacks on a Phone-as-Modem charge on your account. That would be bad.
    how do you root it to tether? How do you root period?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    You don't need to root, check MyTether.

There are two versions, one you have to root and it's free; the other you can donate ($10 I think) and install it without rooting.
    but I want to do the root one and know how to root. I have read other theads compairing both
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    but I want to do the root one and know how to root. I have read other theads compairing both
    Again, MyTether has two versions:

One that is free, but requires you to root in order to install it.

One that is in a restricted area that costs a $10 donation to get into. That one comes with an installer that DOES NOT require you to root.

They can both be found at My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!. If you don't want to root, just pony up ten bucks. It's cheaper than paying Sprint for tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Again, MyTether has two versions:

One that is free, but requires you to root in order to install it.

One that is in a restricted area that costs a $10 donation to get into. That one comes with an installer that DOES NOT require you to root.

They can both be found at My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!. If you don't want to root, just pony up ten bucks. It's cheaper than paying Sprint for tethering.
    You DON'T have to root to install the free version. Jason R has made it possible to install the ipk with WOSQI. Post #19 in thread below:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1968247

It was/is available in Preware too. It shows up on my "List of Everything" but I'm not sure if it is because I have it installed or because it is available. I have the paid version. It was missing from Preware for a while due to file hosting issues.

Also, the paid version is now $14.95.
    Last edited by galavanter; 10/21/2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Okay, so I installed it and here's what happend.

MY USB TETHER STOPPED WORKING!!!

I don't know if something happened from installing this, or if it's just stupidity on my part, but this may destroy USB tethering.

It could be possible that I just need to setup the driver correctly, but looking into the Sprint Smartview Driver folder only provides one driver that is 32-bit only. I'm on Windows 7 RC1 64-bit.

I'll try to figure out more about this.

UPDATE:
    Nevermind, I was stupid. I reinstalled the normal USB drivers (not from sprint). It works

But it does say Phone-as-Modem, so if you do get the drivers working I don't suggest you try using as one. Until Sprint says "Palm Pre can tether without additional charge" I won't use it. Although those GPS features seem pretty awesome.
    Last edited by coasterfreak212; 10/21/2009 at 11:09 PM.
    I also was prompted to install this today. I downloaded it, copied it to my netbook and installed. Disconnected my normal wifi and it shows a new network connection for 3G Connection. When I try to connect it times out though. I attached my Pre as charge only. Has anyone successfully made this work, and if so, could you post step by step instructions? Thanks....
    once you root into your pre and type in the command for installing mytether, should you see a icon in the laucher for my tether? It said it installed but i see no app
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    I use mytether for now but i would like to use Sprint SmartView but dont have the drivers for it. Please let me know if there are drivers for this. I have attached a screenshot - Notice how it says "NO DEVICE DETECTED"...these are the drivers i need.

I am a fan of mytether but i also want to update the software on my pre to version 1.4.0 because it allows you to record video. Problem is, Web OS 1.4.0 makes mytether not work (at least with Windows 7).

FYI - I work for sprint and know for a fact that if you tether with any phone that has an unlimited data plan on it, you will not get charged because sprint cannot tell the difference between mobile data and tethered data.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Actually, MyTether now works with WebOS 1.4.0. At least the paid version does. You have to reinstall using the most recent installer from the donor forum. Already checked it out with my laptop and using Win 7. Checked it using WiFi. Did not check using USBNet.