Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I sure hope Palm addresses the problem of GPS failing. I'm tired of turning on GPS in Sprint Navigation and getting "Unable to find your location." I've restarted my Pre twice today after GPS failing.
    Yeah I get that problem too. Sometimes it just works to turn GPS off in location services, then turn it back on. Usually though, restarting is the only way to get it going again. I am not sure what the problem is, but I had the exact same issue on my Sprint touch. Either way, I hope they fix it....soon!
    Peef touched on this a little in another thread and it may have something to do with power management. It's as though the chip goes to sleep and won't wake up when it should. I've had this happen as well. Hopefully Palm will address this in an update. For me, switching back and forth from Google maps to Sprint Nav works but I've had to restart it once after trying everything else.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    It happened to me just today, I didn't have time to fiddle with it and just wanted to play anyway so I just turned NAV off.

From what you guys are saying it sounds like a legit bug, and Palm should be working it if they know about it. Is there a bug reporting mechanism other than calling tech support?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    The only time this ever happened to me was when I tried to start the app without a data connection. A phone restart solved the problem.
    I thought it was just me. Sprint Nav is the only thing that won't find my location. Google Maps and Good Food work perfectly fine. I've tried power cycling the phone, turning GPS off in locations and such, but nothing seems to make it want to work.

I know this is just a repeat of almost every other post here, but I am quite a bit disappointed in the lack of updates for this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raven View Post
    I thought it was just me. Sprint Nav is the only thing that won't find my location. Google Maps and Good Food work perfectly fine. I've tried power cycling the phone, turning GPS off in locations and such, but nothing seems to make it want to work.

I know this is just a repeat of almost every other post here, but I am quite a bit disappointed in the lack of updates for this phone.
    ...hmm perhaps we should all take a step back and see how many updates their have been in a short 3 months....
    You have to remember that GPS does not go through buildings, and most walls. Its signal is degraded by almost anything. The antenna needs a clear shot at the sky.
    As far as the quality of the Pre GPS, I dont know. But I think people expect it to work when ever their voice signal works. Not the same.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I was having the same problem with the GPS after the 1.1 update. I was having to reset the phone almost everytime I wanted to use Sprint Nav. I turned off "Background Data Collection" in Location Services 6 days ago and haven't had a problem with the Sprint Navigation being able to locate me since. Hopefully you will have the same results!
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    On my phone I had to do a WebOS doctor to get GPS back. Not even a Full Reset worked!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    why use Sprint Nav? Google maps is better.
    Are you kidding? Google maps won't give turn-by-turn directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by 911_Dude View Post
    You have to remember that GPS does not go through buildings, and most walls. Its signal is degraded by almost anything. The antenna needs a clear shot at the sky.
    As far as the quality of the Pre GPS, I dont know. But I think people expect it to work when ever their voice signal works. Not the same.
    Even with a clear sky I've had a couple instances where it didn't work without a poke or prod (I put my ear up to the speaker and could hear the GPS chip snoring ).
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid