Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I just watched a video on you tube. It was a How To. video. Anyways my quistion is, I watched the guy put in his ip address, and his address matched mine, is this normal or is this a problem?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Certain blocks of IP space are reserved as private ip space and cannot be routed across the internet. This allows these blocks to be used by individual networks without causing a conflict. If you use some sort of wireless wifi router in your home it is typical for it to automatically assign addresses from one of these reserved blocks to devices that you connect to it. IP traffic is then routed locally between the connected device and the gateway using these private ip addresses then it is translated to your public ip addresses by your gateway device (assigned by your isp) before it is sent out to the internet. Returning traffic is similarly translated and sent from the gateway back to the originating ip address.

So the short answer is, yes it probably is normal.
    the long answer is "read RFC1918".
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Ok, Thank you. This really scared me. I heard that using putty, you have to always make sure you mount and remount, if you dont someone can get into your phone through your ip address using putty. . Thats why i got worried. I didnt mount and remount a couple of times, so i thought thats what happened. Thanx for replying.
    The most common private IP range is 192.168.x.x. If that's what you're seeing, don't worry. You can find your actual internet (outside) IP via a number of OS-specific methods, but whatismyip.com and similar sites are rather easy and universal.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    yup , thats my first 6 numbers of my address. I wont worry anymore about it. Thank you