Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Video: webOS 1.2 in action, LED notifications just a hack away

Palm might have tried to bottle up that webOS 1.2 leak the other day, but it looks like it was to no avail -- videos of the new build in action have hit YouTube, and the hacking community has already ripped the code apart and found some new features. Just like we'd heard, the browser's been updated and there's revised and improved copy / paste functionality, but the big new feature seems to be email searching, which Pre owners have longed for since day one. Hidden deeper, it seems like the LEDs in the gesture area can be enabled for notifications by tweaking just a few lines of code, and there's also the somewhat disconcerting addition of remote app kill switch for Palm, which would apparently let it delete apps anytime it wants. We're sure this is just a cover-your-*** move as Palm prepares to open up the App Catalog -- and it's not exactly unprecedented -- but it's still a little disconcerting given how closely Palm seems to be monitoring Pre usage to begin with. Oh, but come on, let's turn that frown upside-down -- video of new features after the break.
    emphasis mine

And it's confirmed,(via PalmInfocenter) webOS 1.2 Brings LED Notifications, Remote App Removal

(thanks jhoff80 for sending me in the right direction)
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Wow, that doesn't sound good
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    Wow, that doesn't sound good
    It doesn't sound especially bad, either.
    Sign of the times....
    Well, WebOS patchers, your work is cut out for you. Kill the kill switch!
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    Well, WebOS patchers, your work is cut out for you. Kill the kill switch!
    But please, ensure there's a kill switch for the kill switch that kills the kill switch.
    This is one of those things where misplaced anger is deserved. Hopefully, enough people makes a ****storm out of this to force Palm to remove the killswitch.
    Do you think the can kill homebrew Apps like My Teather?
    I'm not liking this, AT ALL.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Another reason to go Android.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    I highly doubt that they can kill anything not installed via the App Catalog, but that's just a guess. Either way, all of the major operating systems have it these days, at the very least for security in case of unsafe applications. With Palm's market share where it is, they can't afford to pull things like Apple is, so I doubt it'll be an issue.
    I was all geared up to give the Hero a whirl, but the new design is..well..just plain boring.

Apple only killed one App on me and it was a teathering app that was released for a brief time. (NetShare)
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Another reason to go Android.
    Oh, Clack.

Because Android doesn't have one, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Oh, Clack.

Google outs remote kill switch in Android, those rascals
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Damn so Palm does this too, the outrage.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Frankly, I'm glad there is remote app removal. It indicates that Palm doesn't intend to be heavy-handed with an app approval scheme. If someone decideds to produce some malware, Palm has a way to remove it.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Oh, Clack.

At least Google owned up to it and XDA and personally derived ROMs will get rid of it.

Again, one more reason to go Android: control over your device.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    At least Google owned up to it and XDA and personally derived ROMs will get rid of it.

Seriously... just leave already lol. We get it, you hate Palm, Android is awesome, blah blah blah, it's like an illogical broken record. I don't know if you've noticed but webOS has been just as easily modifiable and might as well be open-source. You can control the Pre just as easily as an Android device.
  19. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Isn't that also a reason to go with webOS?
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Seriously... just leave already lol. We get it, you hate Palm, Android is awesome, blah blah blah, it's like an illogical broken record. I don't know if you've noticed but webOS has been just as easily modifiable and might as well be open-source. You can control the Pre just as easily as an Android device.
    I have never complained about webOS and have complimented it on its card system for its interface.

However, the hardware is crap. Putting 92 octane gas into Yugo doesn't improve the hardware one bit. So, the ability to update the software on crap hardware is a fairly moot point.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast