Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Isn't that also a reason to go with webOS?
    Why? Palm is adding yet another feature after releasing the software and clearly not planning to tell anyone about it. That is a bad business practice -- one that Google didn't share.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    I have never complained about webOS
    ...Uh, what?

Again, one more reason to go Android: control over your device.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I have never complained about webOS and have complimented it on its card system for its interface.

However, the hardware is crap. Putting 92 octane gas into Yugo doesn't improve the hardware one bit. So, the ability to update the software on crap hardware is a fairly moot point.
    Wait, I thought that was part of the argument AGAINST the current breed of Android phones - pushing what is essentially the same hardware as the G1 with an ever more CPU/GPU intensive OS?

I think you're talking about the subjective nature of the Pre's form factor, right? Because the innards of the Pre outclass that of any Android phone currently on the market, a fact that is indisputable.

Either way, that isn't here or now. This thread is about remote app kill switches.

If you want to cover yourself in the result of your masturbatory diatribes, then I'd encourage you to seek out the cross platform chat section.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I have never complained about webOS and have complimented it on its card system for its interface.

However, the hardware is crap. Putting 92 octane gas into Yugo doesn't improve the hardware one bit. So, the ability to update the software on crap hardware is a fairly moot point.
    seriously??? Man, why don't spend 30 seconds on google and discover for yourself the hardware similarities between iPhone 3GS, Pre, and the rest of the cutting edge models' ARM CPU/VPU. They must all be crap by your standards.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Android my foot!
    Why? Palm is adding yet another feature after releasing the software and clearly not planning to tell anyone about it. That is a bad business practice -- one that Google didn't share.
    this update hasn't been released. How do you know Palm isn't going to say anything about something that doesn't exist?
    While not totally unexpected, at least given the open-ness of the WebOS, it won't be long before someone patches the app removal script out
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Over in the webos-internals IRC channel, a rather interesting point was brought up:

The code that's there is the potential beginning of a kill switch type feature, and that 1.2 doesn't look to have a bona fide kill switch.
  9. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Seems like they need some way to take back an app if a user pays for it via credit car, downloads it, and then disputes the charge.
    Fair point, and there could be a number of others. The existence of the kill switch worries me less than the policy that will be used for it. I'll wait before ****ting my pants.
    Uh there are several very good reasons to implement a remote killswitch for official apps bought over the air.

Mojo apps have the source code readily viewable by anyone with a rooted Pre. There's no way Palm has the resources to make 100% sure similar apps aren't stealing code from each other (well not unless you want apps to continually trickle in at one or two a week). This "killswitch" allows them to semi-assuage developers' rightful fear that their code will get stolen and reuploaded with a different icon by some jackass. "Yo Palm we think this guy stole our code." *Palm investigates and confirms* "Okay we pulled it."

Also this will allow them to pull back any apps that have malicious code, show-stopping bugs that don't show up in testing, etc. Most users don't check for updates on their software, especially on their phones.

Palm's not going to use this lightly, look how much of a storm is already brewing from them partially implementing a killswitch that every other modern smartphone with an OTA app store already has. They're not going to take away homebrew apps or snake away an app because of a petty fight with a third-party developer. And if they ever do, they'll deserve all the beatings they'll get.

Edit: Oh and I haven't looked at the source yet, but I can almost guarantee that it's trivially easy to remove if you're feeling particularly tinfoil hattish. And to the guy going on about Android being superior to WebOS because you have more control over your device: you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Leathal; 09/05/2009 at 11:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I think they will only use this for Apps that were in the App Catalog and got removed from the App Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I think they will only use this for Apps that were in the App Catalog and got removed from the App Catalog.
    Well, that's exactly why people would be rightfully concerned. If an app is removed, withdrawn, whatever by the developer, they shouldn't be able to recall it just because they'd like to. Amazon has drawn a lot of criticism for allowing this with their e-book reader, and I'd have to agree with the people who see this as a potential downfall for such a platform.

Unless it is a serious security threat or there is some other legitimate legal issue, it better not be used to remove software that users have paid for. A refund isn't really an acceptable form of compensation for ripping something out.
    Scary.
    I wonder (BES) if anyone knows (BES) of any other smartphone (BES) that has a "kill application" feature (BES) on the backend server (BES), and if maybe we're jumping the gun a little on exactly what this does (or doesn't) do.
    At least Google owned up to it and XDA and personally derived ROMs will get rid of it.

Again, one more reason to go Android: control over your device.
    And, of course, people won't be able to modify the Pre ROMs... I mean the Pre code... Oh wait... Never mind...

However, the hardware is crap.
    Is it really?!?! Then I am more impressed than ever. I'm amazed that Palm got code to run on fecal matter!! And, the case that holds it all together; somehow it's either containing or concealing the smell. What a feat.

Now, if they could just do something about trolls...
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Now, if they could just do something about trolls...
    Euthanasia
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I wouldn't worry about it, as long as we can trust Palm to use the feature wisely. Apple has this feature, and has not used it once in the two years the app store has been out (the previously cited example of NetShare was not a kill-switch event; the app was simply removed from sale and not updated).
    Goodbye, mytether?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast