Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, there's no CPU scaling, time-in-state is solely showing 500mHz (well, except for the 750 at 550 mHz during boot).
    I wanna know why smart reflex is not activated or is it?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Another vote here for the 2600. Makes all the difference. Last night I listened to Pandora for over 4 hours non stop and my charge went from 95 to 75%. Overnight sitting idle will use about 1 to 2%. During the business day i'll go from full to about 65% with emails going and numerous calls. The downside for some will be that it doesn't work with the touchstone. I really didn't like the touchstone so not an issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by denik View Post
    I sure hope 1.2 improves battery life. For those of you who are playing with it, please chime in.

I'm at day 4 with my Palm Pre, and am seriously considering whether I should return within the 30 days because of the battery drain. I come from a long line of Palm devices, including the Treo Pro, 800w, 700wx...
    Stick with it. My battery life was horrible in the beginning, but it does improve.

When I don't charge during the day, I can get through a 12-hour day on a single charge with no problem and still have about 45% left over at the end of the day. If you use the phone a ton, especially for GPS, you'll need to charge it at some point.

Typical day, phone comes off the charger at 8 a.m., I top it off on the way home in the car around 7 p.m. so I can have a full charge for my night on the town. I've never completely drained the battery while being out and about...

...but my iPhone friends are ALWAYS running around like their houses are on fire looking for a charger. iPhone makes the Pre look like a Blackberry when it comes to battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I can only second what was said about the Seidio 2600 battery. I have one too and just the other day really put it through hell being in a roaming area from 10 am until 8 pm. I was on Wifi as well watching videos, surfing, and trying out all those new apps that came out. At 11 PM at night the 20% warning came on. So yeah....it's a great battery and a great investment if you're a Pre owner.
    i'd be willing to live with a thicker overall device if only this would work with the touchstone. charging with the touchstone is so much easier than always fidgeting with the usb cover. i'm always supercareful with all my gadgets (have never ever broken any i've owned in my life) but i'm paranoid that one day i'll break the usb cover every time i have to use the pre in USB Disk mode, which is pretty often actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Be patient, as your usage evens out and the battery gets "on its feet" so to speak it will improve a lot - for example yesterday I took my phone off the charger at 8am and still had 80% at 5pm... I get an average of about 30-35 hours per charge with a few calls a day and a fair bit of web browsing.
    You must be using a battery that is madeof [Deleted by moderator].
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/08/2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I've had the phone since release day, and based upon my experience, this "let the battery get on its feet" thing is a total myth

two examples to consider:

1. I have an Airave. I was on the phone last night for a little over three hours, with a full signal or thereabout the entire time. I literally unplugged the phone at 100% when the phone call started. At the end of the call I was at 22%.

2. With AIM running, I can have the phone in my pocket on idle for most of the day. My minimal usage consists of doing practically nothing with the phone. If I'm in a weak signal area, I can see my battery drop precipitously in a matter of hours. With a few total minutes of web browsing and maybe snapping a couple of photos, I can be down to 50%.

The battery sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I've had the phone since release day, and based upon my experience, this "let the battery get on its feet" thing is a total myth

two examples to consider:

1. I have an Airave. I was on the phone last night for a little over three hours, with a full signal or thereabout the entire time. I literally unplugged the phone at 100% when the phone call started. At the end of the call I was at 22%.

2. With AIM running, I can have the phone in my pocket on idle for most of the day. My minimal usage consists of doing practically nothing with the phone. If I'm in a weak signal area, I can see my battery drop precipitously in a matter of hours. With a few total minutes of web browsing and maybe snapping a couple of photos, I can be down to 50%.

The battery sucks.
    1. for me, a 2.5 hour phone call drained the battery about 25%. i bought the pre on launch day, but the one i have now is from 6/27/09. not sure if that makes a difference or not. others can chime in and share their experience.

2. AIM drains battery. that's a bug that has been there since launch and has not been fixed. i don't let AIM run on the phone anymore due to that. i am looking forward to seeing all the messaging apps working properly on the pre as well, but it looks like it won't be with 1.2... bummer i know.

also, to give you a baseline... i have 6 email accounts all pushing emails to me as they arrive. i'm probably using the browser upwards of 7+ hours a day.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    1. for me, a 2.5 hour phone call drained the battery about 25%. i bought the pre on launch day, but the one i have now is from 6/27/09. not sure if that makes a difference or not. others can chime in and share their experience.

2. AIM drains battery. that's a bug that has been there since launch and has not been fixed. i don't let AIM run on the phone anymore due to that. i am looking forward to seeing all the messaging apps working properly on the pre as well, but it looks like it won't be with 1.2... bummer i know.

also, to give you a baseline... i have 6 email accounts all pushing emails to me as they arrive. i'm probably using the browser upwards of 7+ hours a day.
    the problem is that if I go into the Sprint store and say "my battery is ****," they're not going to give me a replacement. I've got a few dead pixels and a blotch that appears on the bottom right of the screen whenever the phone gets warm, but I'm sure they're not going to help me out.

as it stands now, my phone pushes two email accounts and I barely use it. it's ridiculous that the only way to make this phone at all reliable is to do absolutely nothing with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    the problem is that if I go into the Sprint store and say "my battery is ****," they're not going to give me a replacement. I've got a few dead pixels and a blotch that appears on the bottom right of the screen whenever the phone gets warm, but I'm sure they're not going to help me out.

as it stands now, my phone pushes two email accounts and I barely use it. it's ridiculous that the only way to make this phone at all reliable is to do absolutely nothing with it.
    try going to a different store... be courteous, but firm. your best bet is probably with the dead pixel and heat blotches. i know it sucks that we the customers are guilty until proven innocent, but that seems to be the way the game is played. so play the game and make it work for you.

also, what's your account status with sprint? that is sometimes a nice stick to carry as well. if you're a long-time customer, a sprint premier, or a corporate account customer, you've got better negotiation power.

lastly, call sprint and ask to be transferred to customer retention. don't yell at the customer rep. they don't have as much power to do anything. it's the customer retention people that can help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    but my iPhone friends are ALWAYS running around like their houses are on fire looking for a charger. iPhone makes the Pre look like a Blackberry when it comes to battery life.
    I don't know what your friends are doing but my iPhone gets at least 3 times the life of my Pre with the same usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Be patient, as your usage evens out and the battery gets "on its feet" so to speak it will improve a lot - for example yesterday I took my phone off the charger at 8am and still had 80% at 5pm... I get an average of about 30-35 hours per charge with a few calls a day and a fair bit of web browsing.

I hate you and your battery life! I have the seidio 1350mAh battery, and I get nothing near that battery life. Although, I do tend to get 30-40 emails a day, and the building where I spend most of my time can have questionable reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by davismw View Post
    To answer the op: I'm pretty sure I read in the endless thread about new 1.2 features that the rumors of cpu scaling were untrue. At least as of the leak they were untrue, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, there's no CPU scaling, time-in-state is solely showing 500mHz (well, except for the 750 at 550 mHz during boot).
    That's slightly discouraging. Ah well.
    I have the 2600 and use it constantly. I go two days without a charge. If not used much it will stay at 100% for most of the work day. care not for the slight bulk increase.....
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denik View Post
    I sure hope 1.2 improves battery life. For those of you who are playing with it, please chime in.

I'm at day 4 with my Palm Pre, and am seriously considering whether I should return within the 30 days because of the battery drain. I come from a long line of Palm devices, including the Treo Pro, 800w, 700wx...
    the 800w battery SUCKS
    must be really feekin nice mine gets nothing like that , geez what kills the battery so quick ev, or 1x or wifi or what??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I have never had an issue with battery life. With HEAVY web browsing, I get to around 30_40% at the end of the day. Word Ace on evdo kills the battery in 3 hours or so...
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    So many other phones have the option to buy an Extended life battery from the phone manufacturer that is actually physically larger with a different battery cover.

Why can't Palm make a larger batter with a different back? So what it adds a little bit of bulk, that is the 1 thing I absolutely hate about my Pre, I am always worrying about my battery life. (who knows, maybe I have a bad battery)
    My Pre gets fairly heavy use every day, it has to last; has to!

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if all I did was txt and call, but like at the grocery store, I'll have pandora playing and using the shopping list app (and replying to txts at the same time).

I want a physically larger battery and a different form-factor back to come with it. (normal and touchstone back)
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronaaron View Post
    So many other phones have the option to buy an Extended life battery from the phone manufacturer that is actually physically larger with a different battery cover.

Why can't Palm make a larger batter with a different back? So what it adds a little bit of bulk, that is the 1 thing I absolutely hate about my Pre, I am always worrying about my battery life. (who knows, maybe I have a bad battery)
    My Pre gets fairly heavy use every day, it has to last; has to!

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if all I did was txt and call, but like at the grocery store, I'll have pandora playing and using the shopping list app (and replying to txts at the same time).

I want a physically larger battery and a different form-factor back to come with it. (normal and touchstone back)
    They do have one, though not made by Palm: http://store.precentral.net/seidio-i.../8A37A5770.htm
    I get about 16 hours of usage with the 2600 seidio battery. With the stock battery, my phone was usually dead by 5pm. 90% of the time i'm web browsing. The problem with these threads are people's different interpretations of heavy usage.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast