1.    #1  
    My OH CRAP THAT WOULD BE COOL moment:

My mom turned off and moved her computer and it naturally died. I just so happened to visit my parents the same day and she asked me to look @ it. It wouldn't boot and said there was a problem with system files so I took it home to fix. I'm sittin @ my computer desk, poped in my BOOTABLE USB DRIVE loaded with DSL (250MB) and ... wait'a.... OH S@#!

How hard would it be to load the Pre with a bootable mini OS? I've used "Damn Small Linux" to get access to the computer's file system and manually reload a registry restore point, but now I use "ultimate boot DVD". Anyway, I had to put this out there cause I searched around and found squat, this should be possible right?
    No reason it wouldn't work that I can think of... Give it a shot
    The reason that it probably wouldn't work is because you have to format the partition to be bootable. However, the directory that the Pre makes accessible via USB isn't a true partition but a folder that is mounted as a partition.
  4.    #4  
    Right, so couldn't the Pre's OS remount the partition as some kind of modified NTFS that simulates a formatted boot partition? Its got to be something thats possible, when the computer looks to the usb device its looking for the first bits that identify a boot partition and directs it to run bytes that its pointed to. Or is my logic off?
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkkticus View Post
    Right, so couldn't the Pre's OS remount the partition as some kind of modified NTFS that simulates a formatted boot partition? Its got to be something thats possible, when the computer looks to the usb device its looking for the first bits that identify a boot partition and directs it to run bytes that its pointed to. Or is my logic off?
    Might be possible, if so, way beyond my understanding of Linux. But NTFS support isn't the best in Linux anyway, you'd at least want it to be FAT32.
    You have to have some kind of boot loader and having two on a system make things "fun".
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    if i leave my pre connect when i reboot my laptop it hangs before i even see a bios screen. i just get a black screen/cursor.

hmm. so i guess thats why.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    You have to have some kind of boot loader and having two on a system make things "fun".
    Having two boot loaders wouldn't be much of a problem because the firmware in the pre is hard coded (or so I would assume) to look in the 'real' boot sector. In fact, the boot loader itself may be hard coded.

The second boot loader would be burried in the file system.

That being said, I doubt very seriously that it would work, and even if it did, you'd probably lose a lot of functionality because of having that huge mess in what is supposed to be your file storage for the pre.
  9.    #9  
    Is there a program to "listen" to the usb communication and dump to a file?

How can I dump/read the MBR on the Pre?

If in fact the PC is looking to the real MBR of the pre we should be able to edit that code to direct the "non pre" requestor to a different partition that we can load our seperate OS.

The PRE supports USB mass storage mode so someone should be able to write an app to enable/disable it without having to connect to a computer.

And last question, whats the appropriate way to ask a dev to look @ this post?

Thanx Guys
  10.    #10  
    Can linux tag the fat32 partition as bootable?
    I know this is possible with a thumb drive. In fact, I have a thumb drive laying around with a self contained, bootable version of Ubuntu linux on it, and it also acts as a thumb drive. I don't see why you couldn't, but I think the only way you could do it would be to add a small partition to the end of the memory, and dumb your bootable linux version there. Than when you hooked it up to a comp, it would be like booting off a thumb drive.
  12.    #12  
    Wow, I need some serious help! Someone got a Andriod G1 to do exactly what I want to do wit my pre, but the major difference is they have an actual removable mem card that they installed to! The article is here:

Boot-up your computer from your T-Mobile G1!

Following the links in that article will lead you to more info.

I downloaded the files the article references and looked into the BAT programs, it looks like syslinux.exe doesn't even reformat the drive but adds a MBR and WALAH!!!

I looked @ the syslinux info here: SYSLINUX - Syslinux Wiki

and now I need to know if the pre can let syslinux run on the mounted fat32 partition and simulate a MBR with a VBR (syslinux shouldn't know the difference right?)!

I wish I could afford to brick my Pre!