Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Please try the steps posted below and report your findings.

1) Charge your Pre on the Touchstone, for an hour or more.
    2) Once charged, pick it up and go to a white background application, like the Calendar. In the upper left corner, click on the Calendar dropdown to darken the screen. Check carefully screen for any discolorations.
    3) Report if you have any discolorations or not (please post the built date).

Important: In my case (8/14/09 build), the LCD discoloration fades rapidly, as the phone cools down.
    In less then 5 minutes, the screen is back to its normal shade, with no white spots on it. So it is obvious that the heat generated from the Touchshone charging process affects the screen. I just don't want to endup in 12 months with a half working screen and out of warranty.

This is my current discolored spot (emulated, so you get a better idea what it looks like):

If I go back to the normal Calendar view, the spot is very hard to be seen, in either white or other colored backgrounds. The only proper way I was able to notice the spot was when I used the upper left menus to apply an uniform grey layer over the screen.
    Last edited by T3CK; 09/05/2009 at 05:29 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    My build date is 6/6. Original new build. I do not see anything like that nor do I have any oreo or dead pixels. I guess I was lucky and got a "perfect Pre". Hope yours turns out OK!
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thanks for the report. Did you looked at it when you took it right off the Touchstone stand? Did you had the phone on the stone for more then one hour?

In my case, the discoloration fades rapidly. It is impossible to see it, just few minutes after you removed your phone from the stone and only if you left your phone to charge for a while.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    No, it was only on for about 20 mins or so. I will try again and let it sit for an hour or so and report back. Now I am kind of curious. Although even if there is discoloration, It wouldn't bother me unless over time it damages the screen from the heat. I think that is common in these type of screens when heat is applied to them. I would almost expect there to be minor color variances when on the charger. I wouldn't worry about it to much.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I think that is common in these type of screens when heat is applied to them. I would almost expect there to be minor color variances when on the charger. I wouldn't worry about it to much.
    Good to know, I feel better.
    My new phone is perfect also and I really would not like to change it because my previous experiences I had with Pre phones (2 replacements for really bad Oreo, defective LCD screen and lose slider).
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I don't have the TouchStone but it happens to my phone when it charges. It's 7/25/09.

My second one had it really bad, like a 1/2 inch vertical line all along where the left railing was. It showed up even when it wasn't charging.
    No Touchstone here, but if I use something like GPS for a while and the phone gets hot, I get a little discoloration near the charging port; it goes away soon as the temp falls.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I think that is common in these type of screens when heat is applied to them. I would almost expect there to be minor color variances when on the charger. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

I really do think it is normal. I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Pookie, what is the build you own? Trying to see if is build related for specific areas of the screen.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Yes i have the same discoloration but on the left bottom corner and its yellowish. I don't have it anymore which is weird but earlier it showed a lot.