Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    There has been an unnecessary flood of threads regarding this topic, so:

Here is your definitive guide!

The update will come to you!

Be patient. Try not to lose any sleep. Palm will release the update when it's good and ready.

I have homebrew applications. Should I be concerned?

Some of them might break, though most will be fine. The stability of your device isn't at risk.

I have installed patches (onscreen keyboard, etc). Should I be concerned?

Yeah. Make sure you uninstall any and all of your tweaks and patches, just to be safe.

Hey guys can I have the link to the 1.2 webOS doctor so I can do it myself? Should I use webOS doctor to update my phone? Also, what's a command line?

No! Wait until the update is released by Palm, as you run a serious chance of bricking your phone.

How do I uninstall patches?

Use webOS Quick Install, go into tools> device management, and you can delete things from there. You can do similarly from Preware.

I'm panic stricken! Do I need to uninstall all of my patches right now?

I think it's safe to wait until the update is actually released.

Also, listen to jhoff80.
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/05/2009 at 03:53 PM.
    How do you uninstall the keyboard?
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
    How do you uninstall the keyboard?
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/05/2009 at 03:17 PM.
    What??
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    What??
    Oh, I thought you were being funny and were asking how to uninstall the physical keyboard.

Did you install using Preware or webos quick install?
    WebOS quick install

cd /
    sudo quilt pop -a

This will remove all patches you have installed, including the onscreen keyboard. Then reboot and you will have a clean device.
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    Ya, I have no idea how to log into my phone or anything. Can I just open up my phone USB on my laptop and delete the virtual keyboard folder?
    Ya, I have no idea how to log into my phone or anything. Can I just open up my phone USB on my laptop and delete the virtual keyboard folder?
    Don't do that! There are still scripts installed that rely on those files. Deleting random things can not end well.
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    Ok. So there is no easy wall to uninstall it? I don't know how to log into my phone.
    Use webOS Quick Install, go into tools> device management, and you can delete things from there. You can do similarly from Preware.
    There is NO chance of bricking your phone.. please correct that.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Is there any harm in leaving the 5x5 smaller icons when updating? That's the only tweak I've done to my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Also, listen to jhoff80.
    Ha, awesome, didn't notice that part.

Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    There is NO chance of bricking your phone.. please correct that.
    I wouldn't say no chance, there's always a chance, no matter how slight, and how good the Pre is with it's recovery setup. True, 99.9% of the time another run of webOS Doctor will fix things. But still, there is a slight chance of an issue.

Regardless of how small the risk is, if someone isn't comfortable enough to get to a Terminal window and block updates, it really doesn't make sense to bother.
    It is always recoverable with the doctor unless you do a hardware modification.. if or if not the doctor will fix it isn't a question.. the doctor will fix it.
    It is always recoverable with the doctor unless you do a hardware modification.. if or if not the doctor will fix it isn't a question.. the doctor will fix it.
    I believe Darth Pooh once had an issue with his Pre software that webOS doctor didn't fix.
    It COMPLETELY flashes the firmware, so if it didn't fix it, it was a hardware problem.
    It COMPLETELY flashes the firmware, so if it didn't fix it, it was a hardware problem.
    You need to have the boot loader working in order for the Pre even to be recognized to flash to it.

But regardless, I've only heard of possibly one potential issue there where it wasn't fixable, out of all the people on the forums. It's very rare, but with anything you do there's always a risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You need to have the boot loader working in order for the Pre even to be recognized to flash to it.

But regardless, I've only heard of possibly one potential issue there where it wasn't fixable, out of all the people on the forums. It's very rare, but with anything you do there's always a risk.
    lol, how does one go about messing up the boot loader?
  20. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Oh semantics. I could say "You run the risk of rendering your Pre inoperable requiring you to re-flash the OS", but that would be redundant, right?

jhoff80 sums it up by saying if you cant disable the updatedaemon, flashing to 1.2 using webdoctor probably isnt for you.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast