Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Does MyTheather work using wifi with 1.2
    Umm does removing patches even matter for now? Since the only way to get to 1.2 is to use WebOS Doctor that forces a full reformat anyway. The part about removing patches is only going to matter once they release the over the air update file.
    Would any customizations as far as images have to be removed? Such as dialer background/lock screen/etc. reset to default?

Logically I can't see where this would interfere but I've never modded a phone before so I'm all ears.
    ^^^ I want to know to because I dont want to go through the work and remove all the images and icons I changed.
    --Marvin
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    How do I uninstall patches?

Use webOS Quick Install, go into tools> device management, and you can delete things from there. You can do similarly from Preware.
    I'm sure this has been covered already, but (as pointed out on the OP) you shouldn't have to remove your homebrew apps (so the tip to go to "device mgmt" under WebOS Quick Install is not valid), but what you SHOULD do is remove any tweaks you've enabled/installed.

And for that, using WebOS Quick Install, just go into tools-> tweaks. From there, just uncheck all tweaks you've enabled, ensuring that you allow the GUI to restart itself in-between the tweaks -don't go disabling them all at once, take your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Would any customizations as far as images have to be removed? Such as dialer background/lock screen/etc. reset to default?

Logically I can't see where this would interfere but I've never modded a phone before so I'm all ears.
    You should, as those are considered tweaks.
    Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

I'm trying to figure out how to block this update to give time for mytether to work again. I read somewhere there is a patch available but I don't see it anywhere just the above link is all I can find?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You should, as those are considered tweaks.
    You do not have to remove images that you changes...ie: any themes. Themes (icons, dialer background...) will not affect your phone for the update!!
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

I'm trying to figure out how to block this update to give time for mytether to work again. I read somewhere there is a patch available but I don't see it anywhere just the above link is all I can find?
    just ssh into your pre and do the instructions, same amount of work as a patch. Ive been looking for that link for two days now, the search over at webos is brutal. Thanks.
    Quick NOTE to those who use quilt. In the event you forget to remove a patch before the OTA, DO NOT run a quilt pop -f on any patch applied from 1.1. This (-f) will copy the 1.1 backed up file OVER the existing file, giving you 1.1/1.2 mix of files in an app/package which could cause all sorts of undefined behavior.
    Can anyone answer this question about removal of tweaks?

Thx!
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    if you ask me people are worrying too much...

the apps should be fine...they are just that apps..most at least, dont have anything to do with the internals structure that is your phone...

the tweeks do because they manipulate the internal codes that structure your phone....so do changes to the dialer and things such as that..

im not saying it wont harm your phone to leave it there when the update comes, but they will more then likely go back to the factory settings when the update is installed unless it causes some kinda conflict. in my opinion the worst case will be, as already stated, things like the virtual keyboard etc. just wont work anymore because they had been coded to work with the source of the OS before the update and the source will change after the update.... this is me just trying to explain it without being too technical. basically when the update comes the tweeks will have to be revamped to that source anyways.

and u dont have to ssh into your phone or anything to take away stuff installed by preware or webOs quick install because they are set up where you can simply point and click to remove the changes as easy as you installed them.

unless you are experienced with linux commands and coding i would NOT recommend installing 1.2 until palm makes it available.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    For those of us that remember earlier updates, it was amazing to see the amount of people who claimed that the update bricked their phone. They interrupted the download, they pulled the battery, started with an almost dead battery, they rebooted before it was over, and all kinds of idiodic acts.

I say, just warn them about stacking the odds in their favor and leave it at that. The complaints will come in regardless of what advice is offered. It's useless to argue all of the "what ifs".
    connect the Pre via USB
    choose charge option
    at the prompt c:\
    type novacom -t open tty://
    then sudo -i
    then cd
    sudo quilt pop -a
    then quilt applied
    to see the patches applied
    then reboot
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    i remember i didn't remove any of my tweaks (I was too lazy) before upgrading to 1.1 and i didn't have any issues. But if you wanna play it safe, uninstall all ur tweaks.
    How Log into your phone via SSH.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    consider me a donkey. i dont want to worry about bricking phones qand becoming the palm pre expert. i just want the WEB browser to work well. Any ways to do this without so many steps/dangerous steps for someone that doesnt quite know what they are doing?

ALso, should i update to web os 1.2 instead of whatever is default on it. im guessing 1.1
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    *Cross post from another thread (which I just deleted since I'm posting here)... apologies in advance but I think it belongs here:*

Needing some help.

I was shopping in the store today when my phone starting going "offline" again. I finally got frustrated and just re-booted it. When it came back up I noticed some really strange things:

* The last page (full right) had disappeared along with all the associated system icons.
    * The second to the last page lost most of it's icons... only one's left are Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, App Catalog, and PDF view.
    * Only other thing I noticed is that my Photo Dialer App reset itself and I lost all contacts that I had set up in it.

Please tell me someone has seen something like this before?

Anyone know how to get my icons back to access the system functions, as well as my other icons like Doc View, etc...

My Pre was purchased on the release day, it's rooted and has several homebrew apps on it. I've had no other problems or issues with it except the occasional (and frustrating) "offline" issue that has only started coming about within the last month.

Thanks for any help you guys have.

Bob

EDIT:

Maybe I have been caught in the middle of a 1.2 upgrade?? If that's the case... this may be cause I didn't get around to uninstalling the patches before the update was forced.

EDIT Part II:

Just called sprint and did the whole "Refresh" thing and got everything back. Phew! Still showing OS1.1
    Last edited by bmoyer1; 09/12/2009 at 09:02 PM.
    How do you log on to your phone via ssh?
    Is there an address for your phone?
    oh lord,this update is goin to be a mess,lol.humans are a funny species.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast