Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    lol, how does one go about messing up the boot loader?
    Not clue, but I'm sure it's always possible somehow.
    If I have apps pinned to a 4th page i created. what will happen to them when I remove the add pages tweak?
    Quote Originally Posted by atomichumbucker View Post
    If I have apps pinned to a 4th page i created. what will happen to them when I remove the add pages tweak?
    They'll stay on the fourth page, you just won't be able to add or delete new pages.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    If you want to remove patches just visit webOSdoctor. It will set everything back to factory specs. I've done it. It works fine.

If you want to change OS to 1.2 then do it. There is an almost non existent chance of "bricking" your phone. If you have any problems simply visit webOSdoctor.

If you decide to go to the 1.2 OS then do try to look at the webOS internals page and find out how to block updates. This will make the experience more enjoyable and provide less chance for error.

This really is not that big of a deal. Change it if you want to or wait for the official release? It doesn't matter.
    I have tweaks installed through the WebOsQuickInstall as well as the virtual keyboard installed through PreWare. I know to unclick the WebOs boxes and allow the restarst to occur.... but as far as the keyboard is concerned, would going through the menu of the Preware in my pre and clicking the uninstall option be sufficient or do I need a more in depth uninstall to remove the keyboard and accept the update safely when it appears. AND do I need to delete the Preware app from my Pre PRIOR to the update and reinstall after to be safe or will the Preware be alright to leave on....Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    Could someone post a list of apps/tweeks (I.E. MyTether, etc.) that need to be removed before updating to 1.2? That would be awesome for us non-tech's. Thanks to whoever does this for us!!
    doesn't matter.

Think of webosdoctor as a FORMAT...so all data will b lost (including apps and tweaks)
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    doesn't matter.

Think of webosdoctor as a FORMAT...so all data will b lost (including apps and tweaks)

this

Unless you want to spend another hour re-linking your contacts and reconfiguring your phone, just remove the patches before updating.
    Lets see, it takes 5 minutes to sync all your contacts, and calenders, and email.

Then it takes about ten to use quick install to reinstall all your apps.

Then the patches aren't even compatiable with 1.2 yet, and won't be made compatiable till the full release.

Once they are, its a minute in quick install, and maybe a c&p script or two.

Or if you wanna get crazy, and use quilt, its 5 minutes to set up optware and quilt.
    Then a minute if you wanna apply a few patches..

Then IF you want to manually edit stuff, SFTP access was done with the optware script, and that time can vary..

Case and point, if you aren't going to manually edit files for patches, it doesn't take that long..
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    Lets see, it takes 5 minutes to sync all your contacts, and calenders, and email.

Then it takes about ten to use quick install to reinstall all your apps.

Then the patches aren't even compatiable with 1.2 yet, and won't be made compatiable till the full release.

Once they are, its a minute in quick install, and maybe a c&p script or two.

Or if you wanna get crazy, and use quilt, its 5 minutes to set up optware and quilt.
    Then a minute if you wanna apply a few patches..

Then IF you want to manually edit stuff, SFTP access was done with the optware script, and that time can vary..

Case and point, if you aren't going to manually edit files for patches, it doesn't take that long..
    Forgive me, but I think you're being insensitive to the large number of people who aren't like you. These things may be very easy for you, but for the vast majority of users it will be SIGNIFICANTLY less painful to just wait for the official update.

What about the things that aren't backed up? What about needing to re-activate the phone? People might have data in SplashID, they might have music on their phone that isn't on their computer, photos that aren't backed up anywhere else, etc. It's extremely insensitive of you to insist that there's no difference between waiting for the official release or using WebOS Doctor. Some people on here may have never been through an official update yet and may not know what to expect. Following your advice could cause them to lose data.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I have "roam only" hack installed on my Pre.
    Do I need to restore the original file before update?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    is their rumor of a release date?
    What about the the GNU patch the accelerometer service and the Package manager service? I think the other two can be uninstalled but the GNU patch should be taken of right, and can it be taken off by its self?
    lol, it really doesn't even matter if you guys keep your patches..
    palm fully replaces files, you're good.
    ok my phone wont go pass the boot logo so webosdoctor is not recognising my plugged in pre.

How can i fix this? Cant ssh into it neither because it is not booting.
    Am i that less then 1% chance of bricking the pre without webosdoctor helping?
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The point of the post is to encourage the path of least resistance.

Opening up webOS Quick Install and unclicking a few boxes in device management before tapping "install update" on the phone is more conducive to line of thinking than flashing the phone with the webOS doctor and starting from scratch is.
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/07/2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Gnove,

Try holding down the volume up key while plugging in your Pre. This will force a bootlogger and WebOSDoctor should 'see' your phone.
    Last edited by Meltedwire; 09/07/2009 at 07:23 PM.
    1. Will the update remove all the homebrew apps I've installed
    with WebOS Quick Install?
    2. I haven't done it yet, but if I add the "add/delete pages" tweak
    do I have to re-comment those lines back before updating?
    3. Does everyone have the same problem I have of trying to add
    apps with any other method than WebOS Quick Install and
    getting the "not enough room" response? (I want to download
    something in the app catalog, "DirecTV NFL", but I'm going to
    have to delete then reinstall a ton of apps to be able to make
    this happen because WebOS Quick Install doesn't work on stuff
    in the app catalog.).

Thanks for help with these questions and be gentle, I'm a 50 year old with just enough tech knowledge to survive but not enough to be very productive.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Any apps you add using File coaster or through the Pre app atore add to the memory limits pre-set into the Pre. If you add them to the Pre using Preware it will get around this pre set limit but there is a catch...if you add enoguh apps they somehow are still figured into the memory limit so you can still get the "not enoguh memory" error when downloading apps from the Pre store. The only way around it is to delete some apps that you added with Preware, add the apps you want from the Pre app store and then re-install the apps you deleted using Preware. Its a little time consuming but it works.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Some people will do the update without changing anything. That will just happen.
    I'll be interested in people talking about what did and didn't 'break' in addition to what's here about what may or may not happen if we do or don't take X precaution.

I have NO problem taking out the tweaks from WOSQI before the update but I can just see my combination of age and ADHD making me think of it right after the update starts :-)

As a sort of a side note, I WAS one of those clamoring for the next update but now that I have QuickInstall and have read the other threads I don't find myself in any great hurry to get 1.2...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast