Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I'm not familiar with the Pre updates. My phone is a 8/14/09 build with version 1.1 on it. How do I know exactly when the new OS version is released? Will a popup show on my phone or do I have to check it myself?

Right now I have WiFi set through my router and EvDo native. I'm pretty sure the update will be like 80MB. How do we do update the phone, directly through Wifi or we download an executable, connect the Pre to a PC and complete the upgrade?

I would like to know also how do I use the webOS Doctor. It is a .jar file so it should be uploaded into your phone? Thanks for your help.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    If you check for updates, it will show up, but even if you dont, it auto downloads when its released
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The phone will begin to download the update once it's released in the background when it's idle. If you visit these forums with any frequency, you'll know right away when 1.2 is released. At which point you can simply download the update over your wifi connection.

webOS doctor is a recovery utility. You shouldn't need to use it under normal circumstances, such as to upgrade.
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/05/2009 at 02:16 PM.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    And of course, navigating to "updates" will show you if there are any system updates, along with application updates from the Palm App Catalog.

But you knew this, because you RTFM, right?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    But you knew this, because you RTFM, right?
    no its much easier to wait for someone to post the information and read it than to read information that's already provided to you.
    don't you know anything? i mean who needs manuals when you can take up space on a forum?
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Someday manuals will stop being written and the acronym will be changed to RTFF. (Forum).
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Someday manuals will stop being written and the acronym will be changed to RTFF. (Forum).
    Heh.

"Hey guys, my computer is running slow. What do I do?"

"Hello, new forum member! Okay, open up the command prompt, and type deltree C:/"

"Gee tha
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thanks guys, you answered to my concerns. I asked all the above questions because I was curious if Palm does automatic updates. I have a 500MB/month data plan and I use the phone intensely so I was curious if I wakeup in the morning with a 100MB download.

It would be good if the updates can be prompted, so you switch to WiFi during the download.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Thanks guys, you answered to my concerns. I asked all the above questions because I was curious if Palm does automatic updates. I have a 500MB/month data plan and I use the phone intensely so I was curious if I wakeup in the morning with a 100MB download.

It would be good if the updates can be prompted, so you switch to WiFi during the download.
    You can always download any update over wifi.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I have a 500MB/month data plan and I use the phone intensely so I was curious if I wakeup in the morning with a 100MB download.
    Is this a Canadian thing? The only plans available for my Palm Pre with Sprint had unlimited usage for everything but the minutes used for phone calls.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    You can always download any update over wifi.
    Not if you are away, with EVDO only to connect. I have my phone configured to use WiFi at home, just to save bandwidth usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Habidabad View Post
    Is this a Canadian thing? The only plans available for my Palm Pre with Sprint had unlimited usage for everything but the minutes used for phone calls.
    You can have unlimited plans also here, for like 15$ extra/month. Right now, I pay $60/month for 500mb of data, 300min + unlimited talk after 5pm, call display + large voice mail + call waiting + 3way calls + unlimited TXT messages. Because I have other Bell services, I get a $10 discount, so I endup paying $50/month. Because the data plans changed, Bell would charge $100/month for the same package with unlimited data so I don't want to change my plan. So far, I never used more then 50MB, on my busiest month. But then again, I never had a Palm Pre.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Not if you are away, with EVDO only to connect. I have my phone configured to use WiFi at home, just to save bandwidth usage.
    The phone doesn't force the update for awhile. You can wait until you're connected up to wifi.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip, I did not know this.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    You would think that being an automatic download, which seems very necessary, that you wouldn't be docked or charged for the download. I know that Sprint doesn't use up your minutes when you have a survey or something similar. If you do go over and get charged, I'm sure a simple call to your provider would fix the problem by having it removed from your bill.