Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1.    #1  
    I actually prefer the normal non-GUI Linux boot screen of scrolling text (services starting and hardware checks). Anyone know how to remove the boot splash and just show this information?
  2. #2  
    Not sure what ur saying? Do you want the original boot screen back on phone ?
  3. #3  
    What he's saying, is that he doesn't want any sort of graphical boot screen at all.

    The 'natural' linux boot screen will scroll through a whole host of information on the bootup sequence, that is largely useless unless you're trying to diagnose errors on boot-up.

    Most distributions of linux these days, including the version of linux installed on the pre, cover it up with some sort of graphical boot screen. He wants to get rid of the that graphical boot screen all together so he can see the scrolling boot log messages instead.

    I have no idea why, but that seems to be what he wants.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    What he's saying, is that he doesn't want any sort of graphical boot screen at all.

    The 'natural' linux boot screen will scroll through a whole host of information on the bootup sequence, that is largely useless unless you're trying to diagnose errors on boot-up.

    Most distributions of linux these days, including the version of linux installed on the pre, cover it up with some sort of graphical boot screen. He wants to get rid of the that graphical boot screen all together so he can see the scrolling boot log messages instead.

    I have no idea why, but that seems to be what he wants.
    ok then lol mo powa to ya ha ha, oh thanks for the american explanation i understand now lol j/k
  5.    #5  
    Uhhh, I run Gentoo Linux on my Mac Pro and actually prefer the text over the stupid logo's. I know how to do it under Gentoo & pretty much all other desktop systems... But that doesn't seem to work on the Pre & yes it is to diagnose problems at boot... like the 2 minute boot time... Is that not a problem for anyone. Anyway!

    Does anyone know how to remove the boot logo, "so as to allow the boot process to display"?
  6. #6  
    I wouldn't mind seeing that either, at least as an option.
  7. #7  
    This is pure speculation on my part, based only on experience with other embedded linux devices, so I may be way off...


    I suspect that the boot loader is hard coded in the firmware, which means it going to be booting up silent no matter what you do, unless you build a custom rom and reflash it, which I wouldn't even know where to begin with personally. With my old sharp zaurus, you had two files to flash. One was the system, and the other was the boot loader and start-up scripts.

    As far as diagnosing a problem with the "2 minute boot time" I really don't think it's a problem. Everyone has a 2 minute boot time. If you were the only one, that would be a different story.

    It's possible that by looking at how long various services take to load and disabling ones that you don't need you might be able to trim the boot time a little, but probably not enough to matter.

    Besides, how often do you need to reboot your Pre? Once it's set up the way you want, you shouldn't really ever need to except for the occasional error.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 09/06/2009 at 12:18 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    This is pure speculation on my part, based only on experience with other embedded linux devices, so I may be way off...


    I suspect that the boot loader is hard coded in the firmware, which means it going to be booting up silent no matter what you do, unless you build a custom rom and reflash it, which I wouldn't even know where to begin with personally. With my old sharp zaurus, you had two files to flash. One was the system, and the other was the boot loader and start-up scripts.

    As far as diagnosing a problem with the "2 minute boot time" I really don't think it's a problem. Everyone has a 2 minute boot time. If you were the only one, that would be a different story.

    It's possible that by looking at how long various services take to load and disabling ones that you don't need you might be able to trim the boot time a little, but probably not enough to matter.

    Besides, how often do you need to reboot your Pre? Once it's set up the way you want, you shouldn't really ever need to except for the occasional error.
    Hard coded in the firmware... Thanks.
    "Were off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz."
  9. #9  
    Does anyone know if this is possible yet? I know this thread is quite old, but there's been quite a lot of things learned about WebOS in the time that has passed. I too would like to completely remove the boot logo and be able to watch Linux boot.


    M.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Does anyone know if this is possible yet? I know this thread is quite old, but there's been quite a lot of things learned about WebOS in the time that has passed. I too would like to completely remove the boot logo and be able to watch Linux boot.


    M.
    It is possible.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  11. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #11  
    How is the 2 minute boot time a problem when the iphone does it, androird devices do it..past palm devices...the storm took 5 minutes...yes count it 5 minutes lol.

    This isn't a dual core processer with 3gbs of ram...how on earth is it gonna boot in 30 seconds lol
  12. #12  
    Go back to OS version 1.3.5.1.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    How is the 2 minute boot time a problem when the iphone does it, androird devices do it..past palm devices...the storm took 5 minutes...yes count it 5 minutes lol.

    This isn't a dual core processer with 3gbs of ram...how on earth is it gonna boot in 30 seconds lol
    I was referencing the log boot, not the boot time.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Go back to OS version 1.3.5.1.
    what would be the purpose?
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  15. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I was referencing the log boot, not the boot time.
    "yes it is to diagnose problems at boot... like the 2 minute boot time... Is that not a problem for anyone"

    ^ Thats why I said that
  16. #16  
    Version 1.3.5.1 does not have the splash screen, this was added in version 1.4.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Version 1.3.5.1 does not have the splash screen, this was added in version 1.4.
    We are talking about the system boot not the application splash screens.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    "yes it is to diagnose problems at boot... like the 2 minute boot time... Is that not a problem for anyone"

    ^ Thats why I said that
    Ahh, I getcha. My phone is much faster in boot time now with the 800MHz patch. But i do wish it was like a netbook with instant on. Which could be done.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    We are talking about the system boot not the application splash screens.
    Well as they say, there is always a first for everything, someone complaining about the boot screen, what's next?
  20. Hawse771's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Ahh, I getcha. My phone is much faster in boot time now with the 800MHz patch. But i do wish it was like a netbook with instant on. Which could be done.
    I understand your pain...I have become severely impatient with computers in general...I am already looking at upgrading my home PC because it ****es me off anytime it lags lol. When I click on close it needs to close instantly...guess thats where society is today, we want results yesterday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions