Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    I understand your pain...I have become severely impatient with computers in general...I am already looking at upgrading my home PC because it ****es me off anytime it lags lol. When I click on close it needs to close instantly...guess thats where society is today, we want results yesterday
    Your computer issues could be fixed... i am a IT Support Technician. But that is another forum "So I don't get flamed "

And i am with you on the "ask for it today but want it yesterday".
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Well as they say, there is always a first for everything, someone complaining about the boot screen, what's next?
    Relax, dude, he's not complaining.

In fact I'd like that too. Adds to that geek factor.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Besides, how often do you need to reboot your Pre? Once it's set up the way you want, you shouldn't really ever need to except for the occasional error.
    Which makes carrying a spare battery a moot point? If I want to swap the battery it's now at least 5 mins before my phone gets back up and running.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Which makes carrying a spare battery a moot point? If I want to swap the battery it's now at least 5 mins before my phone gets back up and running.
    5 minutes??!?!?!!?!!!?!!? OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! THAT'S ABSURD!!!!! ... You do realize we used to send letters to one another via Pony Express if we wanted to "talk" to one another ....

//just playing, no flame intended, I actually agree the boot time sucks
    Ummm... So...

Now that the air has been cleared a bit, it is possible to remove the *boot time* splash screen so I/We can see Linux boot? I've poked around a bit, but not having any Real World experience with Upstart (I use Gentoo), I'm limping at best.

The initial "Palm" part probably can't be removed easily since that's most likely part of the initrd (how I do it on my systems), but the flashing images we can easly change should be able to be bypassed somewhere. It's that "somewhere" I'm asking about (again, bevause I don't have any real experience with Upstart).

M.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Ummm... So...

Now that the air has been cleared a bit, it is possible to remove the *boot time* splash screen so I/We can see Linux boot? I've poked around a bit, but not having any Real World experience with Upstart (I use Gentoo), I'm limping at best.

The initial "Palm" part probably can't be removed easily since that's most likely part of the initrd (how I do it on my systems), but the flashing images we can easily change should be able to be bypassed somewhere. It's that "somewhere" I'm asking about (again, because I don't have any real experience with Upstart).

M.
    I ran a find on the entire system and am also looking through kernel options to make this happen but I am not the greatest with this so I may or may not find anything. I am a Computer Technician, not a Programmer/Developer, but I am sure trying to learn since there are a lot of azzholez on this forum. No pun to you, just tired of the bashing on here from people.

I am great with Gentoo myself... But this embedded WebOS is so much more different its ridiculous.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    I have little knowledge of this... but here it goes.

There are 2 parts to the boot process. The actual Linux portion (where it is just the static not flashing palm logo) and then the Luna boot (where the palm logo flashes) Its not so much the Linux boot portion that is taking forever, but the start-up of Luna and all associated processes that takes some time.

So im not sure if that will help you narrow down whatever it is you are looking for... but there is ur boot time solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    I have little knowledge of this... but here it goes.

There are 2 parts to the boot process. The actual Linux portion (where it is just the static not flashing palm logo) and then the Luna boot (where the palm logo flashes) Its not so much the Linux boot portion that is taking forever, but the start-up of Luna and all associated processes that takes some time.
    After having watched Linux boot for about 11 years now, the static "Palm" screen is hiding the kernel decompressing, and the flashing part is "Linux" itself (the Operating System) booting, and in turn Luna loading.

Watching the kernel gunzip isn't interesting (static part), but the rest of the boot process should be (flashing part). I haven't used a VirtualBox image from Palm in a while (since Palm insists on continually using old-ish versions of VirtualBox...), but the last time I did, it didn't load the flashing part and you can watch Linux boot there. Is it still that way?

M.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ce-u-boot.html

The static Palm logo, Charging images, and pulsing images can be disabled by flashing a new bootloader and changing the boot order.. i had a long post I wrote here but lost it before an attachment upload caused a refresh, kinda ****ed off about it actually lol. basically I made some changes to beagleboard's u-boot recovery method that let me change the contents of the oneNAND as well as the NAND memory, also removing all boot logo's, I get 8-14 seconds of nothing but a blank screen like its off while first stage boots(can watch it over USART3) followed by a orange-peel like fade pattern which I am gathering is the LCD initializing. it sits their all the way up to linux kernel booting before It starts to scroll anything on screen. its too early in my progress to say exactly what is one the screen since its using the wrong settings but I can tell without a doubt that it has LCD console debugging active scrolling(notice the line breaks and changes at the same pace and lockups as the phone does in the booting process.

Was gonna post up a thread but seems no one is interested in hardware hacks or mods. only software changes, was kinda bummed to find no hardware modding section or as least case mod section and seems only software developers writing for WebOS get their own sections here. I may setup a blog on one of my old domains to post my projects and all the information I have gathered. I tried to post a picture but it failed. if someone wants to upload it for me pm me.
    Last edited by Binary Tech; 04/12/2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I get 8-14 seconds of nothing but a blank screen like its off while first stage boots(can watch it over USART3) followed by a orange-peel like fade pattern which I am gathering is the LCD initializing. it sits their all the way up to Linux kernel booting before It starts to scroll anything on screen. its too early in my progress to say exactly what is one the screen since its using the wrong settings but I can tell without a doubt that it has LCD console debugging active scrolling(notice the line breaks and changes at the same pace and lockups as the phone does in the booting process.
    You don't happen to know how to get "bootchart" to do its thing, do you? That may help explain the blank screen time. Getting it to create the info file might be trivial, but what about auto-render? I doubt that. The only online renderer has been dead for at least a year or more. Gentoo doesn't seem to ship teh actual binary to manually render a chart (but still includes the package in portage and can make it part of the boot process - you just can't render it anywhere... ***?).

Any thoughts there?

M.
    ok I really want this keep me updated
    pictures binary tech wanted posted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    pictures binary tech wanted posted
    Thanks for taking the time out to help! once I get a more user friendly approach I plan to do a write-up.
  14. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Yep!

Now how?
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Yep!

Now how?
    Thunderchief
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    [URL]

The static Palm logo, Charging images, and pulsing images can be disabled by flashing a new bootloader and changing the boot order.. i had a long post I wrote here but lost it before an attachment upload caused a refresh, kinda ****ed off about it actually lol. basically I made some changes to beagleboard's u-boot recovery method that let me change the contents of the oneNAND as well as the NAND memory, also removing all boot logo's, I get 8-14 seconds of nothing but a blank screen like its off while first stage boots(can watch it over USART3) followed by a orange-peel like fade pattern which I am gathering is the LCD initializing. it sits their all the way up to linux kernel booting before It starts to scroll anything on screen. its too early in my progress to say exactly what is one the screen since its using the wrong settings but I can tell without a doubt that it has LCD console debugging active scrolling(notice the line breaks and changes at the same pace and lockups as the phone does in the booting process.

Was gonna post up a thread but seems no one is interested in hardware hacks or mods. only software changes, was kinda bummed to find no hardware modding section or as least case mod section and seems only software developers writing for WebOS get their own sections here. I may setup a blog on one of my old domains to post my projects and all the information I have gathered. I tried to post a picture but it failed. if someone wants to upload it for me pm me.
    Feel free to post hardware mods in the WebOS Internals forum. I'm interested.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I actually prefer the normal non-GUI Linux boot screen of scrolling text (services starting and hardware checks). Anyone know how to remove the boot splash and just show this information?
    There is a kernel patch in our repo for this now.

-- Rod
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Thanks for the reply. I have not been on here in a while. I did my own modification for this a while back and just never said anything. But if you have a patch for this that will be good for everyone.

Thanks again.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I cannot find thunderchief in the preware is it in an extra preware feed?

I would like to see linux roll by myself
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod

which patch?

recently i am customing my kernel ,and often get stuck at booting...so i wanna see the log on the screen during boot...

THX
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12