Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    ^Welcome to PreCentral. I'm guessing you haven't read much of the threads around here. To answer your question simply, DON'T WORRY. No matter what you do with your update or tweaks or hacks, and your Pre becomes non-responsive, WebOS Doctor will resolve it 99.9% of the time. Now relax and read some of the threads about what I just wrote.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Ya...pickles...lmao. Webos internals has a how to disable updates....again, you'll have to search there, I don't have the link.
    Got it. My search was too refined. Here it is if anyone else needs it.

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    I have the jar, just don't know how to use it ;-)
    Turn your phone off. Then turn it back on while holding the up volume button (a large usb symbol will show). Run the webosdoc 1.2 jar, then plug your phone into your computer when prompted. Then just follow the instructions.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    MegaUpload Link to 1.2
    From the manual, page 75 + 76:

When you get a notification that a system update is available, do one of the following:

• Tap Install Now twice. When installation is complete and the phone resets, tap Done.
    •  Tap Install Later. The next time you charge your phone, you receive another update notification. You can again choose whether to install the update now or later. You can choose the Install Later option up to three times. The fourth time the notification appears,you must tap Install Now.
    • If you have Wi-Fi turned on and the battery has at least a 30% charge, your phone automatically downloads a system update if one is available—you don’t have to do anything. If Wi-Fi is not turned on when the update becomes available, the Palm servers continue to check your device for Wi-Fi availability for two days.
    •  If you do not have Wi-Fi turned on anytime within two days of an update becoming available, your phone automatically downloads the update over the Sprint network the next time the battery has a 30% charge and you have a Sprint Mobile Broadband data connection, as indicated by the icon at the top of the screen. Your phone cannot download an update over a Sprint 1xRTT data connection, as indicated by the icon at the top of the screen.
    •  If the battery has less than a 30% charge, you must charge the battery before you can download or install an update.
    •  To avoid roaming charges, updates are not downloaded if your phone is in roaming coverage.
    •  If you do not install an update within one week of downloading it, your phone automatically installs the update as long as the battery has a 30% charge.
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    From the manual, page 75 + 76:

When you get a notification that a system update is available, do one of the following:

• Tap Install Now twice. When installation is complete and the phone resets, tap Done.
    •  Tap Install Later. The next time you charge your phone, you receive another update notification. You can again choose whether to install the update now or later. You can choose the Install Later option up to three times. The fourth time the notification appears,you must tap Install Now.
    • If you have Wi-Fi turned on and the battery has at least a 30% charge, your phone automatically downloads a system update if one is available—you don’t have to do anything. If Wi-Fi is not turned on when the update becomes available, the Palm servers continue to check your device for Wi-Fi availability for two days.
    •  If you do not have Wi-Fi turned on anytime within two days of an update becoming available, your phone automatically downloads the update over the Sprint network the next time the battery has a 30% charge and you have a Sprint Mobile Broadband data connection, as indicated by the icon at the top of the screen. Your phone cannot download an update over a Sprint 1xRTT data connection, as indicated by the icon at the top of the screen.
    •  If the battery has less than a 30% charge, you must charge the battery before you can download or install an update.
    •  To avoid roaming charges, updates are not downloaded if your phone is in roaming coverage.
    •  If you do not install an update within one week of downloading it, your phone automatically installs the update as long as the battery has a 30% charge.
    I pushed Install Later some 10 times before I finally went in and disabled updates...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I had 1.2 since it was leaked, applied the tweek to not allow updates, and it NEVER tried to update. The tweek works!!
    Yes, but not everyone is interested in rooting...
    If you are hesitant it seriously is about the easiest thing I have done with my phone. I didn't want to up until now but decided to since I am getting a replacement phone again. I wanted to take 1.2 for a test drive. So far so good. I even enabled LED notifications.

Do this: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Novcom_on_Windows

and then this: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Blocking_Updates

Assuming you are on windows.
    bpdamas, which instructions did you follow? (there seems to be a confusing array of options.)
    Basically, here is how it panned out.

• Ran webOSDoctor with the 1.2 file
    • Waited for my pre to boot up and put it into developer mode. It reset again.
    • After it came back online I plugged in my Pre and clicked "just charge"
    • I opened up the command prompt and typed in the commands to gain root access (you need to change the directory to the location where you have sdk installed) This is from the first of my two links in this post.
    • Once I gained root access I typed in the commands to block updates. This is from the second of my two links in this post.

That is all I did. I seem to be having no problems and it is not asking me to update.

EDIT: Looks like you got it.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 09/23/2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Ah
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Just keep in mind, before the official 1.2 comes out, if you want to update to it as it seems they added more since the leaked version, you will still have to revert back to 1.1. Going from the leaked 1.2 to official 1.2 will more than likely brick you phone and have to webosdoc it. The new version will be looking for 1.1 files to upgrade, therefore they will be out of sorts and....well....you can guess what will happen. In my opinion instead of web docing two times within a week or so, I would wait. That's just my opinion. That's why I reverted back to 1.1. Also there are very limited tweeks available right now for 1.2. (no message forwarding, rotation...exc)
  11.    #131  
    So Mr. bp, do you feel installing 1.2 was worth it? (looks pretty good to me. I am tired of waiting for the official download anyway.)
    I don't feel its ready for primetime yet, hence not being released even though we're nearly a month later from the build date of this 1.2. It's got it's own issues, and I highly recommend everyone just wait it out. Also, if you're interested in loading 1.2, you have to be interested in rooting, because otherwise you're going to be nagged. This release is very much beta, just wait it out.
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Just keep in mind, before the official 1.2 comes out, if you want to update to it as it seems they added more since the leaked version, you will still have to revert back to 1.1. Going from the leaked 1.2 to official 1.2 will more than likely brick you phone and have to webosdoc it. The new version will be looking for 1.1 files to upgrade, therefore they will be out of sorts and....well....you can guess what will happen. In my opinion instead of web docing two times within a week or so, I would wait. That's just my opinion. That's why I reverted back to 1.1. Also there are very limited tweeks available right now for 1.2. (no message forwarding, rotation...exc)
    I doubt going from the leaked 1.2 to official 1.2 will brick anything, it should be just like any other update. I'm already going to volunteer my phone to be the guinea pig, because I'm not skerred.
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    FYI.. I went from 1.2 leaked version to 1.1 by accident because I clicked on the update now instead of install later...and it bricked the phone. Luckily I was able to use WebOS Doctor to reinstall 1.1 as I couldn't find my WebOS Doctor 1.2. Also I wanted to see if the WebOS Quick Install would work properly with 1.1 as it didn't work for 1.2.
    I love the fact that if I brick it... it still can be re-imaged.. not like when you brick something when you screw up a flash upgrade and it dies thus turning your system into a worthless piece of crap. Remember 1.2.x is being released tomorrow! Yea!
    Thats completely different from going from 1.2 to 1.2.x. You're upgrading in my example, in your example, you're trying to downgrade something that was never meant to be downgraded, it's going to cause problems.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Thats completely different from going from 1.2 to 1.2.x. You're upgrading in my example, in your example, you're trying to downgrade something that was never meant to be downgraded, it's going to cause problems.
    Agree, but the possibility is there. For some who don't want to root, I would not reccomend taking the chance.
  15.    #135  
    Elysian, any idea how frequent the OS update reminders are for those who are not rooted?
    every time you plug in to charge.
    When typing in a contact into universal search and you click on the contact to bring up their number, there is now an option to "Add a Reminder".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A big Thank You to all of the Leaked webOS 1.2 testers including:

as4life, awrnsmn, Beknatok, bobvr, bpdamas, cwgtex, d2globalinc, dhMassacre, Ehsan, Elysian893, emoney_33, go4craig, hellion850, jack87, Jason Robitaille, jhoff80, kmehr, Leathal, michaelw9, onlinespending, pogeypetey, qitupx, Rennat, rwhitby, SMKOUT333, theoottesen, tozfeekum, and wkalam2

We will go into 1.2.X more prepared than any previous update!

Would you look over this post:

Official webOS 1.2.1 New Features & Changes Found - Not Release Yet

1. Is the feature wording right?
    2. Are we missing anything?
    3. Could you post any key missing screenshots?

Please post any updates or new screenshots back in this thread.

As 1.2.X comes out, you are the ones who we will turn to for verification of what really made it into 1.2.X and what changed.

Thank you again,

- Craig
    When in a call they moved the buttons to switch to speaker phone and such farther away from the end call button.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    When in a call they moved the buttons to switch to speaker phone and such farther away from the end call button.
    Thank you!

Added!

- Craig
    How common has it in your opinions that the upgraded pre will freeze during downloading of apps thru any service, also can someone tell me if when they copy image, do you get a prompt for where you want to download? I have tried a bunch of photos from free websites, i can get it to copy, but that's as far as it goes.
    I have to say, I love that the Navigator gives you the driving direction option now like it does on the Instinct, i really was missing that feature..
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast