Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since we are getting the new palm software I would like to completely get rid of the homebrew. Whats the safest steps to get rid of this so my phone doesn't brick with the new update? would like it the way I had it before installing.

Thanks!!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    IT has NOT come yet....wait untill it comes!!
    Why wait??...i think you should learn how to do it now so it will not be a hassle when the updates finally come...but honestly, i don't think homebrew apps will brick yur phone when update comes..the only thing i will be removing will be patches (using preware)
    you do it like any other app(orange+tap app)...but homebrewed apps are not going to cause problems. The Fine people at webos internals are placing the apps in a folder suggested by palm to avoid any problems with updates....Tweaks are a seperate matter and need to be removed prior to update....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    u dont need to remove apps at all just undo tweaks done inside of webos quick install that's it . But if you insist just hook up phone to computer in dev mode and run web doctor and it will restore to original.
    I knew we had to remove the patch (for the keyboard) before updating, but we have to remove the tweaks too? How do we do that? Without removing all the homebrew apps.
  7.    #7  
    thanks everyone! all i have is filecoaster and Music Player (Remix) installed and thats all I have done so I should be ok?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    It just seems since the leak of the update that MAYBE coming soon has people paniced. Even if it comes, you do not have to take it right away, you will have time to take off your tweeks before you decide to download it. Don't panic, hell it might be another month or two before we actually see it. When it comes, myself and several others will be more than willing to help you. My reasoning is, why take it off now, you can still enjoy your tweeked phone until the update does come. I was not meaning I was not willing to help, because I am. I just don't want people to be in a panic thinking they need to undo everything right now, and hope they enjoy what they have done to their phone UNTIL needed. I appologize if I came off as not willing to help.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by n2jc27 View Post
    thanks everyone! all i have is filecoaster and Music Player (Remix) installed and thats all I have done so I should be ok?
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH985 View Post
    I knew we had to remove the patch (for the keyboard) before updating, but we have to remove the tweaks too? How do we do that? Without removing all the homebrew apps.
    Its just the opposite of installing them (go in to Tweaks in WOQI and uncheck the ones you installed.....)
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/05/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Use the webos doctor.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by n2jc27 View Post
    Since we are getting the new palm software I would like to completely get rid of the homebrew. Whats the safest steps to get rid of this so my phone doesn't brick with the new update? would like it the way I had it before installing.

Thanks!!
    First, even though it's not "definitive" information - I've had Homebrew apps on my Pre since they first showed up. I have not disabled any of them, or any of the hacks to the system, before updating, and the updates went fine.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Probably the "safest" way would be to use WebOSDoctor; however, my view is that this is what I'm going to do if the update fails anyway, so why bother unless the failure happens? If the phone gets bricked, and WebOSDoctor doesn't fix it, I'm heading to the Sprint store with my TEP in tow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    deltree C:/
    I know this was an attempt at humor, but I really don't think it's appropriate on a forum like this.

Obviously it's the wrong command, and won't work on a Linux system.
    However, suppose the person reading this really is pretty much a newb at Linux. Suppose further they're out late, and don't see this until well after "normal hours". They try it, it does nothing. They ask for help on how to use it, and don't get an immediate response. Then they turn to the net, and do a Google search for "linux commands deltree" and get the proper command.

I know it sounds a bit harsh, but I really think we need to be careful with tongue in cheek bits of advice like this. With the newness of the Pre, there are a lot of users that are typing in (or even copying and pasting) commands without understanding exactly what the command does.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I think this thread is a prime example of a good reason not to homebrew.

I've looked at the homebrew list and drooled - but always clicked away unharmed.

There was another thread here that read as a panic post regarding space - by someone that went homebrew. To be honest, I didn't follow it to the end - but the point hit home for me. Don't mess with a good thing; my perfectly working pre.

The homebrew forum was rollong at a steady pace of: it works/do this now/now it will work/now you have to do this - that unless someone was as creative and linux smart as the geniuses that are producing applications - it was enough to make a person dizzy (at very least distrustful).

It would be wonderful if that forum was culled of all of the dated and old (misleading) threads so that a person could make a value judgement.

I understand that there is a disclaimer in the forum, but when Joe Smuckatellie says 'this works' there are always going to be a group of people that are going to read the description and want their pre to do the same thing.

With every update there has been a royal rumble of a stress period - while the app catalogue apps just keep on truck'n... Is the stress justified? I don't know - I just read the threads. But, I can say that as long as the'what do I do now' threads exist - the homebrew section cannot reach it's true potential, the high marks and recognition it truly deserves, simply because of the potential risks to those that just want a good application and not the 'how will it affect my phone' worries...

Thanks for your time
    Homebrew applications will not be touched by and will not affect upgrading.

It's only hacks that you've used that are the issue.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post

I've looked at the homebrew list and drooled - but always clicked away unharmed.

There was another thread here that read as a panic post regarding space - by someone that went homebrew. To be honest, I didn't follow it to the end - but the point hit home for me. Don't mess with a good thing; my perfectly working pre.

The homebrew forum was rollong at a steady pace of: it works/do this now/now it will work/now you have to do this - that unless someone was as creative and linux smart as the geniuses that are producing applications - it was enough to make a person dizzy (at very least distrustful).

It would be wonderful if that forum was culled of all of the dated and old (misleading) threads so that a person could make a value judgement.

I understand that there is a disclaimer in the forum, but when Joe Smuckatellie says 'this works' there are always going to be a group of people that are going to read the description and want their pre to do the same thing.

With every update there has been a royal rumble of a stress period - while the app catalogue apps just keep on truck'n... Is the stress justified? I don't know - I just read the threads. But, I can say that as long as the'what do I do now' threads exist - the homebrew section cannot reach it's true potential, the high marks and recognition it truly deserves, simply because of the potential risks to those that just want a good application and not the 'how will it affect my phone' worries...

Thanks for your time
    I think each person has to use their own judgment based on their own expertise, ability and time.

I added Homebrew Apps after I got familiar with the WebOS and understand the installation process. However, I stopped from adding anything thatthat require rooting or access to Linux command line, because I don't fully understand what that's doing and I have no time to investigate. Things like virtual keyboard looks very good and attractive, but I have to stay away from it, because I don't have time to understand it.

So I don't think anyone can find a unified answer for all whether s/he should go to homebrew. My simple rule is I don't put anything I don't understand on my phone. If I really like something, I will spend some time to investigate how it works. If I don't have time to look into it, then that means I won't have time to fix any potential problems I may run into.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I know this was an attempt at humor, but I really don't think it's appropriate on a forum like this.

Obviously it's the wrong command, and won't work on a Linux system.
    However, suppose the person reading this really is pretty much a newb at Linux. Suppose further they're out late, and don't see this until well after "normal hours". They try it, it does nothing. They ask for help on how to use it, and don't get an immediate response. Then they turn to the net, and do a Google search for "linux commands deltree" and get the proper command.

I know it sounds a bit harsh, but I really think we need to be careful with tongue in cheek bits of advice like this. With the newness of the Pre, there are a lot of users that are typing in (or even copying and pasting) commands without understanding exactly what the command does.
    Aw parsons, always being the voice of reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Aw parsons, always being the voice of reason.
    What can I say? Personally, I thought it was cute, and saw the humor. There are just way too many newbs on here though. I really do see some guy typing in the command, finding the "right" one, then we get a "wtf???" post. I even deliberatly neglected to post the "correct" command, just because I strongly suspect what someone would do.

I once worked for an IT contractor, that in turn worked for a major defense contractor. At the defense contractor, there was (as is noraml) a big red "EPO" button for the servers in the data room. Sure enough, someone hit it to "see what it does". Unfortunately, it was one of the contractors that worked for the some company as me. Even more unfortunatly (for him, but I guess the "fortune/unfortune part is all relative), he looked directly into the security camera before hitting the button.

This was about 12 years ago. Non-graceful shutdowns were a lot harder on computers back then than they are now. My company did a lot of "free" server work over that one...
  19. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What can I say? Personally, I thought it was cute, and saw the humor. There are just way too many newbs on here though. I really do see some guy typing in the command, finding the "right" one, then we get a "wtf???" post. I even deliberatly neglected to post the "correct" command, just because I strongly suspect what someone would do.

I once worked for an IT contractor, that in turn worked for a major defense contractor. At the defense contractor, there was (as is noraml) a big red "EPO" button for the servers in the data room. Sure enough, someone hit it to "see what it does". Unfortunately, it was one of the contractors that worked for the some company as me. Even more unfortunatly (for him, but I guess the "fortune/unfortune part is all relative), he looked directly into the security camera before hitting the button.

This was about 12 years ago. Non-graceful shutdowns were a lot harder on computers back then than they are now. My company did a lot of "free" server work over that one...
    Post in question redacted
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post

Thanks for your time
    All i can say is your missing out.And because of homebrew and patches,my phone kicks your phones ***.worst case scenario,is having to web doctor it.which i've done before without any problems.there is no stress here.the peole tht are stressed,are people that should of probably left they're phones in stock state.and yes,the few minutes of popping patches and reapplying them are very worth it.the pre sucks without the patches and homebrew,period.but having the stance on it that you do,then i would say your probably better off leaving it alone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast