Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I picked up my 1st Pre on day 1. From then on I read about all the problems that I wasn't having. I assumed I just lucked out. Then, @ the end of August, my Pre started to reset on it's own so I called the Sprint store where I had purchased it & explained the situation.

The mgr told me to bring it in & he could probably fix it. He told me it was probably a battery problem but he didn't have any in stock & would have to look @ my phone before ordering a replacement battery.

I called Sprint customer support & was told to take my phone to the nearest Sprint store or service center for inspection. I suggested this was a known issue & I didn't want to be inconvenienced any more than I had already been inconvenienced.

And this is the part that might be of interest. The representative then asked me to look @ the battery & tell me where it was made. Mine was made in Korea. She told me the problematic batteries were manufactured in Japan so it was a phone problem & made arrangements to send me a new instrument.

That instrument arrived & I found that the old battery had a much snugger fit in the new instrument & when I put the 2 instruments side by side, I noticed the new one was very slightly narrower than the original.

Two days & no re-set problems so far. The battery is definitely more snugly situated in the new instrument. However, I did notice that only 4 letters of the keyboard were lit up. I called a Sprint rep & reported this issue so it was in my record before activating the phone but elected to keep the new instrument to see if it made any difference.

So bottom line: Korean battery ok, Japanese battery not ok for whatever that's worth.

--
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA
    I just exchanged my Pre (purchased on launch day) for a camera issue. I was told that replacement would be a new unit. I dialed ##786# and learned it was a recon. Is yours a reconditioned unit? Anyone else getting recon's for warranty replacement (not TEP).
    I have received 3 reconditioned phones as replacements and I am pretty pissed right now. I bought a brand new Pre at full retail price in June, it died within 3 weeks so I brought it to the store and got a brand new one. That started causing problems about 2 weeks ago after about 40 days. I called Sprint and they sent me a replacement, I received it within a day and it was a recon, which I would have been fine with until I turned it on and saw a bunch of dead pixels. I called and complained and sent it back while they sent me a 2nd replacement. I received that the next day and it also had dead pixels and it looked like someone melted the power button. I sent it back and dealt with the one I had still for a couple more days before I called to complain again. First I was told they already gave me 3 replacements so they couldnt give another, even though the first one was defective and the 2 they sent to replace the second one were recon. junk. Finally they sent me a third one(recon) that I received today and it also has about 4 dead pixels but I am just going to deal with it since its better than the one I currently have.

I like the Pre but after this whole experience I am done with Sprint when my contract runs up. I paid $550 for a brand new phone, since it was defective it should be replaced with a brand new phone.
    I agree, perhaps you should contact your state attorney general. you paid for a new fully functioning phone, not a used one.
    I have had pretty good expirience with replacements through sprint. Did you request a new phone or at least tell them the the last few refurbs are defective. The most important thing i have learned is that if you do not get the answer you want, say "ok thank you" hang up and get someone else ..i know it can be time consuming but it is amazing the different experience from rep to rep.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I had the pre since launch as well and Ive had some good exp with sprint reps just find one thats not english as a second language and you should get somewhere at least last rep i spoke with didnt even know how to answer my question about the possibility of mp3 sync to the pre without using the touchscreen only using keyboard shortcuts(touch screen failure) and started talking about using the media sync..lol
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Reconditioned does not mean used as-is.
    It means it was rebuilt with fully working parts, and tested from the ground up.

You should be happy, it's got tighter quality control than the plant manufacturing the new pre's.
    i Agree mine is a refurb and it Better than my friends new one.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crash712us View Post
    I agree, perhaps you should contact your state attorney general. you paid for a new fully functioning phone, not a used one.
    Wouldn't do any good. Sprint didn't violate any of its own policies, nor did it violate the contract. Sprint would win.
    I have a refurb and so far it's been great. Looked great, works great.

Keep complaining until you get a good one.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hilljilly View Post
    [snip] Is yours a reconditioned unit? [/snip]
    Yes mine is reconditioned, however I wasn't told that it was going to be a new (or reconditioned) unit.

In regards to other posters' frustrations: Personally, I don't care whether my unit is recon'd or not as long as the phone works as advertised. And I don't have a problem w Sprint as they have provided me w a good, fast network & pleasant/helpful customer service (to date).

At the moment, I feel pretty comfortable saying these things as I've been thru both ATT & Verizon. It doesn't mean things might change.

And I love my Pre.

--
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA